Mon Nov 19 2012 10:59:25

What Do You Think of Retail Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?

By: Julia Wilkinson

We're all used to the teeming masses huddling to break free into doorbuster-specials on Black Friday. But now it seems "Thanksgiving Creep" has led to some retail stores opening on the evening of Thanksgiving, and not waiting until Friday. Target, Wal-Mart and Sears have all announced they're opening up on Turkey Day eve, with the latter two opening at 8 p.m., and Target opening at 9 p.m.

But some folks have taken umbrage to the pushback into this family-oriented holiday; Target shareholders have started a petition on Change.org, "Target: Take the high road and save Thanksgiving."

"Thanksgiving is the one day we get to spend with people we know," wrote "C. Renee" of Corona, CA, who started the petition. "I currently work two jobs, substitute teaching and work Target at nights and weekends, so having Thanksgiving off really does give me that one day to relax and visit family I otherwise have no time to see."

She writes that she just heard that one of Target's top competitors, Wal-Mart, will open at 8 pm on Thanksgiving this year. "Since workers need to show up sometimes hours before the story officially opens, this will take much of Thanksgiving away from retail employees across the country," she writes, suggesting Target can take the high road and save Thanksgiving for employees like her and their families by saying no to "Thanksgiving Creep."

Others signing the petition seem to strongly agree: "The quest for the almighty dollar has become ridiculous. Let employees have their holidays too," wrote Celeste from TN.

What do you think? Is pushing Black Friday back into Thanksgiving Day itself too much? Do you feel the urge to shop on Thanksgiving night, or are you one of those who likes to get up early Friday and do the Black Friday thing? (Or maybe you're more like me, who does as much of her shopping online as possible!). Post a comment here!

What Do You Think of Retail Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?   What Do You Think of Retail Stores Opening on Thanksgiving?

by: dkkdolls This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 13:20:17 2012

I think that it is a greedy push for funds and really quite questionable since everyone is looking for a bargain. It seems like the purpose of Thanksgiving to spend time with one's family and friends and give thanks to God for one's blessings has been corrupted in an increasingly secular world. For that matter all the commercialism has corrupted Christmas, too. I like a chance to sell more items, but not at the expense of leaving God and personal relationships out.

by: dkkdolls This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 13:24:56 2012

Oh, another brainstorm. I absolutely refuse to call Thanksgiving Turkey Day. That is another corruption for the totally secular. In the first place, since my husband prefers roast beef instead, I usually fix that instead, but no matter what the meal it is Thanksgiving and the purpose is to give Thanks for our blessings, not to blindly gorge ourselves and go out and shop. Of course, the guys often watch football, though my husband is not that glued to football unless the University of Kansas is playing. I guess now since Kansas State is doing so well, he is rooting for KU's rival for football against everyone but the University of Kansas.

by: confettiantiques This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 14:41:45 2012

I think it is ungrateful to be open on Thanksgiving.  The whole purpose of Thanksgiving is to give thanks.  To God, for all that he has given.  Not to give thanks to stores, unless you worship the almighty dollar.  I will be supporting JC Penney this year, as they will be closed on Thanksgiving.  I will also be keeping my Brick and Mortar store closed to celebrate with my family, and to give thanks.

by: stampman.cowell This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 14:51:51 2012

If we can sell on the internet on Thanksgiving Day why not shops? It is more about how you lead your life every day, than if you open your store on Thanksgiving Day - a 'man made' day!

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 16:52:12 2012

Your right Ed, I do need a job, and resumes are out.
In the meantime, is ebay adjusting expected arrival times to adjust for the Post Office being CLOSED AND, do we need to upload ON Thanksgiving (for items selling Wed) or can we enjoy the day off?
This is a fair question.
Mass Howler
PS: I HAD a great job for 9 years before JD came along.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 16:53:24 2012

The fact is, WE SELLERS ARE ALL WORKING on "Thanksgiving" IF EBAY does not make an announcement!
Mass Howler

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Nov 20 21:19:08 2012

I don't think greed is the reason for stores opening on Thanksgiving. It's the same reason stores are now open on Sundays when they never used to be. The days of Dad bringing home the bacon while Mom managed the household and did the shopping during the week are long gone for most of us. As people started spending more time at work, they demanded more available hours to take care of their shopping and other errands that they simply can't do during the week. I can certainly believe that people have asked to be able to shop on Thanksgiving. After all, if you don't like football and overdose on family as well as food, well, shopping can probably seem quite appealing.

I used to love going out with my mom on Black Friday. It didn't used to be quite as crazy as it is now. We would go to the mall and get a good start on our shopping. Parking wasn't a problem because I have a handicap permit (I'm very popular at the holidays!). I don't do much of that any more, though, since I can't walk well enough to do more than 1 store (there is a reason for the HC permit, after all) and definitely can't handle the mob scenes. I do miss it sometimes, but do most of my shopping online nowadays.

I do feel for employees who have to work on these holidays, but as others have pointed out, there are many other professions that require people to work on those days. If they want the holidays off, maybe they should look into a different sort of career.

For those complaining about Thanksgiving being too secular, well, I hate to break it to you, but it is a secular holiday. So is Christmas. Sure, you can view them in a religious sense if you choose, but they're just as much secular holidays. In fact, Christmas even has its roots in the winter solstice celebrations of ancient pagans, so it's been viewed in many different ways. If you wish to celebrate God or religious aspects of the holidays, go for it. Just please don't sneer at those who don't because their celebrations are just as valid, even if they're different.

Personally, I see Thanksgiving as a celebration of everything positive in my life. No matter how bad things are for you, there's always someone else who is worse off, so it's good to count your blessings, regardless of where you think those blessings come from. Christmas is more of the same and also a way to show appreciation and love for family and friends and even perfect strangers. The message of peace and good will is a good one regardless of your religious affiliation or non-affiliation. It's definitely something the world could use a lot more of.

by: nothingnew This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 23:50:15 2012

I think it STINKS! I'm setting up at the local flea market and need them stores to stay closed so everyone with nothing better to do comes to the flea market to buy lol.

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 21 23:37:40 2012

happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Of course, I still don't KNOW if ebay is counting Thanksgiving (to upload tracking numbers), so I have 1 unpaid item, and it IS GOING OUT OF TOWN ON VACATION WITH ME, as always, along with this da&n laptop.
Betcha they PAY the SECOND I sit down for dinner.
What a wonderful company, such clarity.
Mass Howler

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 21 23:40:00 2012

Last time I was away my in-laws thought I was CRAZY because I spent 5 hours in Maine LOOKING for an automated USPS machine to ship 2 packages (5 HOURS of MY vacation).
Thanks JD!

This user has validated their user name. by: permacrisis

Sat Nov 24 08:48:39 2012

If this keeps up, I'll be able to give out Easter candy on Halloween, instead of the other way around.

1 2