Fri Jan 28 2011 17:33:13

PayPal Bug - Who is Richard Brezovec?

eBay sellers are reporting that when they use PayPal to make payments to eBay for postage labels or seller fees, PayPal is sometimes displaying the recipient as Richard Brezovec instead of eBay Inc. (LinkedIn lists Richard Brezovec as a Treasury Consultant at eBay.) There are no reports of the bug happening for payments other than those made to eBay.

On the PayPal Community board, a seller wrote, "I think your being hacked. I just purchased two shipping labels and both $5 shipping payments show that they are being paid to an individual and not to shipping. I got my shipping label just fine, but I think the money might be being diverted, either that or you have one **bleep** of a bug!"

Several sellers have emailed me about the problem, and there is a discussion thread on eBay about the issue. eBay sellers are concerned that their payments to eBay are ending up in someone else's personal account.

One seller said when they checked their balance, they noticed Richard Brezovec as the payee on the last few days' postage purchases, and wrote, "Opened a new tab to check how the name was spelled, and in those few minutes, the name had changed back to eBay shipping. Inconsistencies like that in banking make me sorta nervous."

On the PayPal forums, an administrator wrote yesterday, "It's ok - we're not being hacked.  This issue has to do with some recent updates we've done to enhance the site, and won't be affecting our merchants who accept payments."

A PayPal spokesperson confirmed the problem is a bug. "We are aware of it. We will get you more details soon."

Update 1/31/11: PayPal calls the glitch resolved on Saturday.

Perminate Link for PayPal Bug - Who is Richard Brezovec?   PayPal Bug - Who is Richard Brezovec?

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Sun Jan 30 16:16:34 2011

Rolling Blackouts?

Seller "1saleaday" has some interesting sales/sold/feedback. From Australia, I see only four items currently for sale; and 15 items, all sold, in the past 14 days (figures for US viewers are 166 and 266), and yet their feedback shows 611 feedbacks left on 30 January alone; 17,200 feedbacks in the whole of January; 18,650 feedbacks in December. Wow! What is going on? The "View Item" link on the feedbacks suggests that the feedbacks are genuine: he's got plenty of negs and neutrals to suggest that it is genuine. Why then so few items showing for sale/sold? Is this proof of eBay's "rolling blackouts" at work; but then, how can you sell so much if it cannot be seen, certainly not in Australia. All very interesting.

eBay/PayPal/Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.

by: What the F**k?

Sun Jan 30 23:03:58 2011

I reported this  bug to Pay Pal ... but the name I'm getting is completely different than the ones posted here! What concerns me is that despite paying my eBay seller fees via Pay Pal on the 27th, said fees are still showing as outstanding. I now have a little flag on my dashboard and an email stating my fees to eBay are overdue. Based on the above, and judging from sales the last few days, I would bet a pound to penny that my visibility is now ZERO.

I do not have the time nor the patience to spend an hour on hold only to be put through to some language challenged eBay CSR who will then put me on hold off an on for another hour while they look into the matter, and then come back on the line and tell me they will look into this further and follow it up with an email that I will never receive!  I am getting too old, too tired and too sick of this BS.....

For heaven sake, this is a LARGE company (eBay) associated with what is now, an even LARGER company (Pay Pal)... get your poop in a group guys! Did some exec decide to funnel 1%  of seller fees to their personal Pay Pal account and then take what I imagine would be a much needed vacation?

What the f**k is up here???

Ebay and bugs are like fire and water (smoke). What is really going on here?

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 31 11:50:52 2011

A few years ago Paypal replaced the post office controlled email address to their own email address. They did this because pp gets discounted postage, almost 50% off of what you pay paypal.

The only glitch is that they were hoping you didn't notice. and yes, I said they get discounted postage,that happened when they had that other glitch that exposed the break down of the postage payment. They were so worried about the glitch that they were hoping I couldn't add and realize for a priority flat rate envelope, they were paying 2 bucks and change

by: GloryGrace

Mon Jan 31 12:32:04 2011

My notification from goDaddy uses a different name: MICHAEL ZIMMERMAN.  The notice states " PayPal customers: Please be aware of an issue with your PayPal online activity statements. For orders placed 1/27-1/28, you might see 'Michael Zimmerman' displayed instead of our company name. To verify the correct information, review the transaction 'Details.' PayPal is working to correct this issue. "  No updates since this was posted to my GoDaddy account on Saturday morning.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jan 31 22:30:49 2011

This is another example of why ebay stock is worth so little and Amazon stock is worth so much.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Jan 31 23:05:31 2011

PayPal announced problem resolved on Saturday:

by: Rick1313

Mon Jan 31 23:11:13 2011

And not a beep on the eBay System Announcements board.

by: Rick1313

Tue Feb 1 00:21:51 2011

And here's something else that has popped up from PayPal.

On the eBay.com/PayPal forum board, there is a topic about delay times in receiving payment notices from PayPal.

I also had it happen today. Item purchased mid-afternoon on eBay and I received an immediate email. No email about receiving payment, but item shows as paid on eBay.

Checked on PayPal and, indeed, buyer immediately did their self checkout (I cannot stop them as eBay does not give me that option) immediately after making purchase.

I found this out at 17:30.

Got back on late this evening and there is the payment message but with a time stamp of mid-afternoon, not a time stamp of after I logged off system at supper time.

Looks like PayPal's emails are being held up by (some?) internet service providers before being placed into user's mail box.

Wonder what they coded to cause the delay?

Interesting to see how this pans out.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Feb 1 01:09:36 2011

"PayPal said the problem was resolved on Saturday."

Oh. Well. I know I am completely reassured when PreyPal says a problem is resolved.

The questions that now require answers are why PreyPal needs a Treasury consultant and how and why his name appeared in sellers' accounts.

Bet it will be a while before PreyPal answers these questions.

Now that they say they've solved the Richard Brezovec "glitch", maybe they can solve the intermittently absent payment notifications sellers are once again not receiving.

by: Robin Bates

Tue Feb 1 03:07:41 2011

The bug is not just a persons name comming up instead of shipping.   I got charged for 2 labels, when I only ordered one and only one printed, with no indication that I was being charged for two, other than the next day I went to Paypal to print a label for a nonebay account, and I noticed it.   Unfortuneately it was past the 24 hour period for a label cancelation.   So I filed a dispute with Paypal.   I  wondered what happened.   So I would advise everybody to check their Paypal accounts for unordered labels and charges.

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 1 22:55:04 2011

Tell it to the FEDS. Ain't my fault you are appropriating funds under an account holder named Richard Brezovec. I already turned Richard into the INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE. you can just work it out that way. Apparently, anyone can report people to the IRS and get a % of the tax money they get for snitching. Merry Xmas everybody, file away

ps. and I also reported you to the Federal Reserve for doctoring accounts.

by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 1 23:00:13 2011

For all I know Richard is a tax evader, hiding the company loot in his own account. I just want to make double sure, youre totally secure. If he gets audited, then to quote former holyman grand poohbah Bill Cobb... then it was an unintended consequence

by: Hollow

Wed Feb 2 15:38:07 2011

It's sad to hear that after all the trouble most people had with PayPal, they still stick with it???

I switched to prepaid card, called Paysafecard, and I'm more than happy that I did!
I was also sick of giving always all my info just to make a simple purchase, and after nagging about it on the forum, the guy told me to try this card, and it surely is the best way there is to pay online.

Seriously, how long will PayPal be "the best" where there are so many proves that it's not!!??

by: Rick1313

Thu Feb 3 10:09:21 2011

It would be interesting to know if this PayPal bug came about because of another change or vice versa.

At the same time that this all started, there has been a change in the info PayPal provides (at least for eBay purchases) with the payment notifications.

The buyer's eBay user id no longer shows. It is replaced by the name of buyer's real name (or the one buyer supplied).

So you have two name fields and buyer's email address. Not name field, eBay user id and buyer's email address.

I would say that, in making one change on their site (replacing the contents of an information line), it affected other areas of their operating system and gave the same (unintentional) results, replacing informational data with other informational data.

PayPal caused the problem by not thoroughly testing their change before implementing it.

Then again, it shows that eBay.inc's system designers really, at times, do not know how all their programming modules function with each other.

by: Mary

Fri Feb 4 14:04:12 2011

We have a fraudulent charge on our bank account for a ''paypal eBay gift certificate'' worth $500 that no one in our house purchased. When I filed a complaint with our credit union, their investigation revealed that the paid to name is Richard Brezovec. I have not gotten any response from paypal from several inquiries. I don't know what to do next!!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Feb 4 14:51:48 2011

@ Mary

Here's the PayPal number to call:

(888) 221-1161

If the charge isn't removed from your account and refunded back to you within 24 hours, then call your local police/sheriff department and ask for the detective specializing in internet or financial crimes.

Good luck!

Ina, I hope you will ferociously follow up on this story because there's apparently more there than meets the eye.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Fri Feb 4 16:30:24 2011

File this under pure speculation.

Assuming someone hacked PayPal, why would they target this particular individual with ties to the Treasury Department?

IMO, the reason would be to demonstrate to the federal government just how unsafe and unfair the PayPal system is and why it should be regulated like bank.

If this is the case, then I salute the hacker!

1 2