Tue Dec 21 2010 12:05:13

eBay Homepage Drives Holiday Shoppers to Local Retailers

Visit eBay's homepage today and you'll be directed to its new "Gifts Nearby" portal featuring a search engine for finding items in-stock at your local brick-and-mortar retailer. eBay's recently acquired service, Milo.com, powers the new feature.

Milo is a shopping engine that provides real-time inventory and pricing information from 140 offline retailers covering approximately brick-and-mortar 50,000 stores. When eBay acquired Milo earlier this month, it pitched the acquisition as a boost to its mobile-shopping offerings.

As part of Gifts Nearby, eBay is also promoting a special deal with Best Buy. In a video on the Gifts Nearby page, it tells last-minute shoppers if they find a gift offered by Best Buy, they can purchase it on eBay and pick up the item at their local Best Buy retail store - and earn eBay Bucks loyalty points at the same time. Best Buy is currently the only direct partner that allows eBay buyers to pay for items on GiftsNearby.

When eBay announced the Milo acquisition less than 3 weeks ago, eBay CTO Mark Carges said adding local store inventory to the eBay marketplace was a natural extension of what the company been doing for 15 years - bringing buyers and sellers together - "since eBay is an online marketplace and doesn't compete with brick-and-mortar stores."

The new Gifts Nearby portal page and Best Buy promotion will be bitter pills for sellers to swallow, however, since they are paying fees to eBay to be featured on its website and aren't likely to welcome competition from offline retailers.

UPDATE: eBay released a press release 30 minutes ago:

"This holiday season, eBay has moved beyond ecommerce, and become a shopping destination across mobile commerce, social commerce and now, local commerce," said Christopher Payne, head of eBay North America. "As online and offline commerce continue to blur, we continue to introduce innovative ways to help shoppers get the best deals available anytime, anywhere, any way they want them. GiftsNearby has arrived just in time to rescue last-minute shoppers who need the perfect gift - and need it now."

Update 12/22/10: See today's article, "eBay Takes Local to the Extreme with Gifts-Nearby Search Portal" on AuctionBytes Newsflash.

Perminate Link for eBay Homepage Drives Holiday Shoppers to Local Retailers   eBay Homepage Drives Holiday Shoppers to Local Retailers

by: unaware This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 21 17:23:02 2010

As usual eBay is taking a scatter shot approach to growth... do they really know WHAT they want to be and WHO their customers are? This new blending of brick & mortar and e-commerce did not appear to be on eBay's radar back when Donahole set out on his grand plan... when did he think this one up? I sell one of a kind collectibles and it does not directly affect me (yet but I am sure it will at some point) but if I was a seller of shoes, electronics or just about any other ''new'' type of item on eBay I would be blowing a gasket over this... it is true, we are all selling on eBay just to help fuel the growth of eBay into something that will eventually be our competitor.

by: One more thing.

Tue Dec 21 17:26:33 2010

Because of ebay I was able  to sell my  sculptures at half price. I didn't have to pay a middleman or spend a fortune at gift shows. IT was wonderful!
Now being on ebay is  barely different from being listed in the phone book.

I feel like I might do better at this point getting sales reps and doing the whole gift show wholesale thing again!

The main reason I got out of the gift business is because  Knock offs from China diluted the market.
Now they have diluted the art on ebay.

I might get a cart on the street and carve craven images for the tourists. Maybe little totem pole figurines of third world Americans.

by: buck efay

Tue Dec 21 18:21:47 2010

@One more thing,
Ebay has become Ouroboros, the worm that eats it's tail. They have completed the circle, and as you say, the GARBAGE that ebay has turned into is driving collectors events again! They once ruined them, now they are fueling them with disgusted buyers & sellers. As for me 2% STR on my last 100 on Ebay shows me they are thru as a venue for OOAK. I'm making more sales from Google Checkout & they are sending me the buyers!

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Dec 21 19:08:24 2010

Looks like The Street didn't think much of today's ebafia "counter intuitiveness."

Ebafia must attract the most clueless non ebafia related stockholders in the universe.

by: One more thing

Tue Dec 21 20:06:34 2010

@buck efay
"I'm making more sales from Google Checkout & they are sending me the buyers! "
Excellent. I registered with them.

by: buck efay

Wed Dec 22 00:28:50 2010

@OMT: Just going over my GCO statement, they pay as soon as you ask, and a day or so later the money is in your bank acct. Started with them about a month ago, and they've made a couple dozen sales for me already with absolutely no extra work. I'm looking at optimizing page placement in Google search & maybe throwing them a few $$$ next year for ads, since Ebay doesnt want to allow me any sales anymore. The $20k+ a year I threw at them for over a decade would have been way better spent on paying a web designer & SEO

by: neelam sharma

Wed Dec 22 04:57:46 2010

Milo is a shopping engine that provides real-time inventory and pricing information. eBay is also promoting a special deal with Best Buy. "since eBay is an online marketplace and doesn't compete with brick-and-mortar stores."

by: Digby

Wed Dec 22 05:29:19 2010

Its really hard to know what to say.

It also appears that they don't know what they are doing.

But they are certainly not helping small sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Dec 22 09:39:47 2010

"...eBay is an online marketplace and doesn't compete with brick-and-mortar stores."

It's good to end the year on a note of realism and a reminder of just how incorrigibly corrupt this criminal syndicate staffed by avaricious, servile MBA sociopaths truly is.

Ming's ebay Law #1:

EBAY LIES. ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL.

Ming's ebay Law #2:

EBAY REMOVES, TRIES TO GET REMOVED, OR DISCREDITS SPEECH THEY DON'T LIKE ANYWHERE ON THE INTERNET.

Ming's ebay Law #3:

EBAY RETALIATES AGAINST CRITICS USING EVERY MEANS AT THEIR DISPOSAL AND BY ANY MEANS THEY DEEM NECESSARY INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NUMEROUS BLACK BUDGET OPERATIONS AND UNETHICAL SOCIAL ENGINEERING.

Ming’s ebay Law #4:

WHATEVER EBAY WANTS EBAY GETS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY INCLUDING PATENT INFRINGEMENT, BRIBERY, CHARACTER ASSASSINATION, DECEPTIVE BUSINESS PRACTICES, AIDING AND ABETTING FRAUD, AND MISLEADING IF NOT UNTRUTHFUL PUBLIC STATEMENTS FOR THE PURPOSE OF INFLUENCING STOCK PRICES AND RATINGS.

Ming’s ebay Law #5:

EBAY THUMBS ITS NOSE AT THE RULE OF LAW.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Dec 22 10:02:05 2010

See today's newsflash article (updated with link added to end of this post, above) - "GiftsNearby" was developed specifically for the final days leading up to Christmas and will be available until January 3, 2011.

Not sure why that wasn't in the press release.

by: Kelly

Wed Dec 22 10:48:34 2010

Just when I thought eBay could not outdo itself with the another insane concept they always manage to surprise me.

by: Just a Seller

Wed Dec 22 14:41:05 2010

Not too many years ago there was a magic in the air. We could browse ebay.com and find anything from anywhere. Few clicks and an impatient wait by the mail box were what was needed, And then -  WOW - a package from Wales, a letter from Hong Kong or a nice toy for the kids coming all the way from Texas, USA would show up. I still remember the thril. I still remember the feeling that the internet as a whole and ebay in particular are changing the way I judge distances and oppurtunities.

Now everything is going local on ebay. Visibility between the English speaking sites (US, UK and Australia) is sold for a fee therefor does not exist and ''shopping local'' is promoted.

Do I need ebay To shop local? I rather just go down town and do my shopping there.

by: norab

Wed Dec 22 15:57:12 2010

"But they are spending a lot of money lately. Milo and some Germans fashion shopping site."

It also struck me out of the norm that Ebay has been buying a lot more companies recently. Perhaps the recent acquisitions of companies in Dec. 2010 are so Ebay can add some additional "Goodwill" to pump-up their assets in next quarters Financial Statement.

Here's an article about the Ebay acquisitions. “All Eyes Should Be On eBay”; by Website Magazine

Although I disagree with the articles overall evaluation of Ebay, the article describes the companies Ebay has purchased.

eBay’s most recent acquisitions December 2010, include ‘brands4friends’ based in Berlin; ‘Critical Path Software’ Portland, Oregon-based mobile app developer; and local shopping startup ‘Milo’.

Here’s the link to the article:

hive/2010/12/20/all-eyes-should-be-on-ebay.aspx

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed Dec 22 16:43:59 2010

To clarify my comparison yesterday between marketing strategy in the movie "Miracle of 34th Street" and ebafia's "Shafts Nearby," my comments must not be construed as approval.

This latest ebafia travesty as implemented is despicable.

The period between Dec 24 and Jan 2 or 3 has in recent years been considered part of the Christmas buying season and can well determine whether the season was boom or bust for sellers.

To drive customers away from ebafia's sellers will result in lower not higher profitability for ebafia unless Best Buy paid many millions of dollars for this scheme.

The only scenario that benefits both ebafia buyers and sellers is one in which the item the buyer looked for on ebay wasn't available.

To send a buyer to Best Buy or any other B&M retailer BEFORE the buyer has checked availability on ebay is simply an extraordinarily poor (even for The Ho) business decision.

It's time for Pierre to put away his 501(c)(3) grass skirt, ukelele, and palm tree shirts and grow a pair of coconuts.

by: Rick1313

Wed Dec 22 17:36:53 2010

I am not an affected seller of this ''short term promo'' that favors one set of sellers (some big box stores) over the rest as my wares are unrelated to what they sell. However...

If I was, I'd be hopping mad that eBay,inc. has set up an uneven playing field in my area of sales. Especially at a time when there will be a lot of Christmas presents (re: cold hard cash) that people are looking to spend.

I see arguments that it will result in bringing these buyers to purchase from other sellers on eBay.

There are, and never will be, any statistical data that shows that this is the case.

That argument falls apart as users are finding this on eBay's homepage. They are already accessing eBay to search for a product and are probably already a registered user.

This also has eBay, once again, breaching the user agreement (just a venue who does not take part in the transaction process).

In my opinion, how a buyer comes to determine who to buy from, on a selling venue, is part of the online transaction process.

If the product happens to be available in this new promo, then buyers will just see those big box store items.

The rest of the sellers of similar product(s) will not be even given a chance to have their advertised wares shown (which, by the way, is what they are PAYING eBay,inc. to do). More so, sellers who have local pickup are shut out.

Any affected seller should take screen shots from eBay.com pages to show the re-direction of a potential buyer AWAY from your PAID FOR listings.

One never knows what will come in handy down the line.

I know I have some that I may be using against eBay,inc. in my small claims court case (and if I have to open a larger one).

Goes towards showing bad faith by one party to another in a business dealing.

Just my opinion on the matter.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Wed Dec 22 18:42:44 2010

Contrast eBay's approach (send shoppers to brick-and-mortar retailers) to Etsy's approach (allow shoppers to search for items locally available):

e-procrastinators-best-friend-11405/

by: Rick1313

Wed Dec 22 23:34:03 2010

Not familiar with Etsy, Ina, but eBay's selling sites do allow buyers to narrow down searches to as little as a ten mile radius.

If it actual works in displaying all items is another story.

I believe you can even do it by zip code on eBay.com.

This is what I am talking about in my last post. Buyers may feel that they do not have to use this feature (especially new registered users) if eBay is giving them another option (with selected sellers) to see items within spitting distance, if that is how they want to make their purchase(s).

And, to go off on a somewhat off-topic quasi-parallel seller concern, eBay.com even allows buyers to search by TRS sellers only, thus shutting out all other sellers who are paying to have their items hidden by this eBay.com feature.

If I was not a TRS seller, I would be notifying eBay,inc. that they have to re-imburse all listing fees of unsold items until this biased search feature is removed. Make it retroactive to when they started the TRS program or to the time period that you did not have TRS, as that is what they did when they brought in the low DSR's (1's and 2's) and open cases programs. (Hey! That retroactive punishment works both ways, eBay,inc.).

In my current small claims court case against eBay,inc., that is part of the damages I am asking for as eBay, fraudulently, denied me from having TRS status from October 20, 2009 to April 19, 2010 (it is a very long story that I will not post here) and thus, lesser exposure to the point that buyer will not see my item if they selected their search to be by TRS sellers only (at the beginning, eBay.com even had a pop-up window that pointed buyers to the TRS only search option).

Now, let's go see about that lawsuit blog you have just opened up, shall we?

by: STUNNED

Thu Dec 23 09:07:25 2010

It is amazing how ebay can make the claims they do with a straight face.

Here is what is REALLY happening.

ebay charges their small sellers fees for EVERYTHING, they then GIVE AWAY space to the box stores, and to make it even sweeter for the box stores who pay almost NOTHING, they then send the customers TO THE BOX STORES and away from the little sellers who are really paying the bills.

In order to try and convince the little sheep that ebay is "helping" them they SPIN the most RIDICULOUS SPIN they can about how sending the buyers AWAY is a "good thing".

This is like the "Ministry of truth" from 1984, where War is peace, night is day, light is dark.

ebays "logic" is not even logical it is the most asinine thinking you can conceive.  If this does not show the sellers that ebay does NOT have their best interest at heart I do not know what else can.

by: BraveNewScams

Thu Dec 23 11:33:27 2010

I wouldn't get to antsy.
After all, they do have to actually show up in court- Something they've had trouble doing if everyone recalls.

by: BraveNewScams

Thu Dec 23 11:35:20 2010

Sorry, wrong blog post. The above  was intended for the one about the lawsuit. Doh!

1 2 3  [Next Page]