Mon Oct 4 2010 15:40:13

Homepage Letter from eBay CEO Kicks off Holiday Marketing

eBay took an unusual step on Monday when it posted a letter from CEO John Donahoe on its homepage. The letter contains a special message for shoppers informing them of the company's Buyer Protection policy, which covers purchase price plus original shipping.

The letter takes up the entire homepage except for a category list in the left column, and features a picture of a smiling Donahoe, who signs off with a friendly message, "On behalf of our employees and 25 million eBay sellers around the world, thanks for shopping with us."

The home page messaging is part of a multi-million dollar marketing campaign designed to inspire consumer confidence in the marketplace by raising awareness around eBay's Buyer Protection policy. In addition to the special CEO message on the eBay.com homepage, the campaign includes postcard mailers and coverage across the web.

Lynda Talgo, Senior Director of eBay Buyer Protection, told users in an announcement that it was eBay's goal to "make sure buyers, both current and new, know that eBay Buyer Protection has them covered, so they'll have the confidence they need to do even more of their shopping on eBay.com this busy holiday season."

She also said the marketing push "comes at a great time for sellers, as we've announced recent and upcoming enhancements to feedback and eBay Buyer Protection designed to ensure that seller performance ratings truly reflect the great service they provide."

eBay's Buyer Protection policy is outlined on this page.

Update 10/5/10: AuctionBytes conducted a podcast interview with Lynda Talgo about the marketing campaign. She revealed eBay would send 1 million postcards and 27 million emails to buyers informing them of the Buyer Protection program as well as placing advertising across the Web. Also see today's Newsflash article.

Perminate Link for Homepage Letter from eBay CEO Kicks off Holiday Marketing   Homepage Letter from eBay CEO Kicks off Holiday Marketing

by: Complainer

Mon Oct 11 12:04:27 2010

Ebay DOES retaliate against sellers who complain "too much." I have ten years' worth of experience in this area, and here are just a FEW of things they do:

-- their minions stalk you across the internet using the tracking cookies ebay places on your computer

-- they break links to hosted photos

-- they pixelate photos and / or make them disappear from your listings

-- they bury your listings in search IN SPITE OF all the parameters you adhere to that they claim are factored into 'Best Match' search

-- they change prices in your listings

-- they alter the product descriptions

-- they mess up your bill and then REFUSE to discuss it or adjust it

-- they refuse to assign or remove you from the TSAM program even if you qualify

-- they employ hostile, snotty customer service reps

-- they allocate only minimum bandwidth to "problem" sellers

-- they cause the destruction / disappearance of blocked bidder files

-- they cause destruction / disappearance / alteration of scheduled listings

-- they secretly create double listings of single items

-- they secretly create new listings of already sold items

-- they suspend or cancel board privileges and then use plants to damage your reputation on those boards for the purpose of destroying your business

-- they repeatedly invite you leave ebay

ADDITIONS TO THIS LIST??

by: RICHARD

Mon Oct 11 12:39:29 2010

John Donahoe,

Was the begging of the fall of Ebay. He sees nothing but dollar signs from the sellers. He will do anything to get money..He has allowed may dishonest deals to go on at Ebay, it continues as I write this note. The BUYER PROTECTION that Donahoe has come up with is an open door for buyers to take advantage of sellers and it happens everyday. There is nothing to protect the seller. The TRS seller logo is also a fraud...The buyes can do at will what ever they want to a seller with low scores. Lose the TRS logo and your item disapear into space, this is stealing from the sellers. We pay to sell our items, not for them to be hidden from the search. Well folks the Ebay  people are losing more and more sellers to amazon.com look at the facts... The main Ebay Page is turning many people off, they don't won't to see DONAHOE'S face. You won't believe what some of my customers (the few I have left) are saying. I have over 26,000 positive feedbacks 1 neg and people just are fed up, both customers and sellers....It's time for DONAHOE to go. This will be the worst christmas sales in years...mark my words..Ebay is at the last stand. HIGHEST FEES in the history of the site...TRS crap...No Neg. feedback for deadbeat customers...Best Match..CRAP...Wake up Donahoe, your days at Ebay are almost over.
Customers are your sellers...and the sellers are leaving in droves going to amazon, and other sites that don't rip off the sellers wit outragues fees and BS...(EXCUSE THE SPELLING I AM P....d O..F

by: Rick1313

Mon Oct 11 14:54:58 2010

Less than a year ago, Mr. Donohoe gave an interview to US WEEKLY (largest circulation in North America). In it, he talked about the start of the TRS program and how buyers should purchase from TRS sellers.

Talk about playing favorites and deliberately misinforming the potential buying public that TRS badge means that these are the best sellers.

When non-TRS sellers asked for the "sellers' Advocate, Mr. Griffith, to help in this matter, on his "Ask Griff" forum (in the public domain), here is how Mr. Griffith's addressed this dreadful wrong....

He removed all the posts that made references to Mr. Donohoe's comments and that was that.

You see, if no posts "exist" of the concern, then there is nothing for the "Advocate" to advocate for. Problem solved.

On top of that, if eBay has devised their forums so that anyone making references to removed posts may see their posting privileges revoked. So Mr. Griffith is protected from being outed on a public domain posting forum.

by: Seller Protection

Mon Oct 11 17:19:43 2010

This policy is like open hunting season on sellers. Buy it, say you never got it. Buy it, say you don't like it. Buy it - hey guess what? You can keep the product AND get your money back. Screw selling.  Maybe professional buyer/complainer / thief is the way to go> Thanks for the tips eBay!

(I'm joking but am sure MANY buyers / fraudsters are going to read BPP it that way!)

by: RIck1313

Mon Oct 11 18:11:49 2010

Well, mistakes on my last post.

Weird things occurred on my end and what you see is my second attempt at posting my entry.

Anything I typed up, even test posts, would disappear upon clicking post or preview.

Now, I get back on Auctionbytes and see my second (unedited) post is up after all.

Strange, very strange. And it happen at the same time eBay was having problems with the MY EBAY page this afternoon.

Some bug going around and hacking operating systems?

by: Rick1313

Mon Oct 11 22:50:08 2010

test...(preview then post) 10:49 p.m.

by: Rick1313

Mon Oct 11 22:51:27 2010

Well, back to normal for me.

Preview and immediate posting are showing up.

by: Vanity?

Mon Oct 11 23:50:56 2010

Who else but JD would want their picture on the front entry page? That just says everything about this man!

by: Smitty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 12 03:59:47 2010

JD states,

''That's why we created ebay Buyer Protection. It's our way of saying, ''We've got you covered.''

And as usual from him, that is a flat out lie. It was created in preparation for the spinning off of PayPal.

Never forget that this is the birdbrain who said,

''We had to create a vision of the future so people could let go of a very successful past.''

Yes Johnny Boy. I'll take a vision over success, any day of the week.

Smitty

by: Tired of the bullsh*t

Tue Oct 12 08:40:12 2010

I hate to admit it, but I'll do so here - Im just plain scared of eBay now.  I’m ready to give up which I think is exactly what they want from me and every other small seller on the site.

Except... I sold almost 450k on the Bay last year. Net, 10%  of that is my income. Do I live below the poverty line now? Each year, for the last 5 years, I make about 10k less and eBay makes about 10k more. Should I just give up? Move to Amazon or Banana (or whatever it is called now?)

Maybe I’m getting too old to fight these basta**s like I used to. I don’t know.  Ten years of this.... they are so big, so unscrupulous, how does an honest seller make it on that site anymore?

I sell collectibles and after this recent announcement, I just feel I'm dodging bullets every day (feedback or theft take your pick!).. Like that member said, I’m a target now. Come steal from me, the BP has ya covered.

Ebay doesn't care. In fact, they are the only company I know of that makes more money when you DON’T succeed.  Lower those stars, and it's more money in the bank for eBay. Something wrong with picture?

In fact, I often wonder if it isn't eBay lowering my stars and not the buyers! How would I know?  Am I the only one that wonders that???   There is no transparency. We have no clue what ebay is doing to save themselves money each month!

I am so close to giving up but you know, the fact that I hate them so much, seems to spur me on. Like I’ll be damned if they break me and win   -  I must be sick!

Tired, tired, tired....  but too angry to quit!

by: Changes we CAN'T believe in

Tue Oct 12 09:31:40 2010

Here is some more things about that wonderful BUYER PROTECTION:

1. Seller describes item 100% accurate states no returns

2. Buyer files false claim from Buyers Remorse

3. Ebay decides in sellers favor, that item was described accurate, SELLER WINS ! HIP HIP HOORAY ! ( wait do not cheer yet )

4. Prick Buyer still retains right to leave you a neg cause they had buyers remorse, and DING YOUR STARS !

5. HIP HIP HOORAY ! EBAY WINS ! BUYER HELPED GET YOU CLOSER TO ELIMINATION OF 20% DISCOUNT, OR ELIMINATED FROM TRS !

This XMAS is going to be hell for us TRS sellers and ALL sellers !

BEWARE SELLERS ! THE BUYERS ARE COMING WITH THE BLESSING OF JOHN DONAHOE ! Ebay does NOT stress enough that Buyer Protection is NOT for Buyers Remorse ! Every buyer who changes mind will file a case and cause honest seller grief !

by: Rick1313

Tue Oct 12 10:27:08 2010

To Changes we... post:

As I mentioned in my previous postings, sellers should document any and all improper feedback/DSR's given from buyer and submit them to eBay,inc. for immediate removal.

If they refuse, then look into using the court system to rectify the matter and have eBay,inc. compensate for their bad faith actions.

eBay,inc. cannot distance themselves from the feedback system when they are agreeing with buyers' ''opinions''.

They are liable as they are treating the ''opinions'' (especially the DSR enties) as STATISTICAL FACTS.

by: Fed Up

Tue Oct 12 10:41:06 2010

The shield for Buyer's Protection Program, plus the face of John Donahue everytime I log in to sell on eBay now, reminds me of how terrifying selling on this site has become. Sellers have no incentive to provide merchandise when eBay promises buyers that for any petty complaint they can get not only their bid price back, but also the cost of shipping. Contradicts any option sellers supposedly get for a return policy.

by: another side of the coin

Wed Oct 13 00:52:23 2010

This view of JD on the home page has received a lot of Rotten Tomatoes. Not a must see. Lots of buyers and sellers leaving the eBay theater asking for their money back.

by: Donowhore's Dilusions

Wed Oct 13 18:18:12 2010

@ Smitty - you have a good memory of 2006/2007 - when R. Chesnut and his crack team of anti fraud attorneys (cover up artists) offered $50,000 to a website owner to shut down their site that listed auction numbers and details of hijacked accounts and the auctions that were listed on the Ebay site.

That was their response to repeated reports of hijacked accounts.

The fraud on Ebay has never been dealt with.  Donahoe fired the CS teams in Vancouver Centre, then outsourced to countries that don't understand English.

So reports are not acted upon and SJ management is directing the CS departments in SJ and Draper to stall, delay and hang up on anyone that manages to get through to the "customer support" staff on the phone.

Delays are several hours, only to be disconnected.  It's a concerted effort by management to appear to offer customer service while providing none.  All smoke and mirrors - shades of Rob Chesnut days of old.

Buyers have posted in the answer center asking for help and guidance - they received a counterfeit and Ebay staff has said "prove it" or flat out denied the buyers protection coverage.

One CS told the buyer that sometimes counterfeit items are as good as the real thing.

That's the buyer protection that Donahoe is touting?

I think he's lost the tin can and bailing out this ship has become impossible.  Reeks of desperation (and lies) to me.

Same ole same ole with Ebay.   Buyers and sellers alike are never protected for anything that Donahoe and his team dream up.

Amazon. Where you can pay for an item, receive it in a timely manner and trust that you won't get ripped off.

I know where I'm shopping this Christmas.

by: Donowhore's Dilusions

Wed Oct 13 18:31:38 2010

@ the suggestion that Ebay is known as such a bad/risky site - overheard at a council member's debate last month for the upcoming election (responding to a question about a known BAD company that is moving into the area):

"This is an eBay deal.  You won't get what you are being told will be delivered, it will arrive a few months late and then it will be too late to get your money back."

Everyone laughed.  They knew EXACTLY what "an Ebay deal" is.

Now its in our lexicon - like 'Google' for search and 'Xerox' for copy.  'Ebay deal' means it's a scam.

Next?  To do a 'Donahoe' will mean to tank a successful company.

by: Bye Bye Ebay

Fri Oct 15 02:47:41 2010

@Donowhore's Delusions

I agree. You can't mention eBay anymore without someone saying something nasty. I haven't heard a positive comment about eBay in over 5 years.

by: another side of the coin

Fri Oct 15 04:10:47 2010

Seeing Donahoe's idiot mug everytime you go to the homepage is getting pretty stale. It is like the same corny joke being told over and over and over again. Also talking about beating a dead horse, I think even Steve Jobs is sick of JD talking incessantly about the iphone. Only a bumbling idiot could do this much damage to a successful company in such a short time.

by: Going Going... Gone!

Sun Oct 17 12:52:42 2010

Logged on today and noted JD's smiling mug is now missing from the entry page.

Hallelujah!

Now we just have a bright and shiny  buyer protection badge to match all those bright and shiny doesn't mean squat TRS badges. Oh you've convinced me it's safe now eBay... not!

As if ebay would even know what it takes to be a good seller in this universe? Surely the  mirror would crack if they dared to take a long long and hard? This is one company that hasn't  the foggiest idea on how to treat their own buyers (sellers) let alone try tell someone else how to do so!

by: Likable

Mon Oct 18 09:09:51 2010

This Buyer Protection marketing blitz has NOT and will NOT increase buyer confidence. Rather it has, among the many other travesties mentioned here, made buyers increasingly suspicious of sellers. Hey eBay, what little traffic you bring to my listings is populated by people who don’t trust me. Thanks for that.

Recently I had to refund a buyer after I made a listing error in quantity and therefore did not have enough inventory to fulfill all the orders. After a week of honing my damage control skills involving a dozen or so emails back and forth in which I let a buyer know my error, apologized for my blunder, refunded her money, explained how the refund process works as she was a newbie, I received an email from the buyer from which I quote the following:

"Thanks for taking the time to explain things to me. Actually I just wanted to make sure that I was going to be refunded, I'm sorry for being a pain. I FEEL LIKE THE MORE I WANT TO DISLIKE YOU THE MORE I ACTUALLY RESPECT YOUR HONESTY. ”

Enough said.