Mon Apr 13 2009 21:38:33

Tomorrow's eBay Announcements: No Fee Change, New Dispute Process

eBay confirmed it would announce a new dispute process tomorrow and said there would be no changes to fees. Spokesperson Usher Lieberman said eBay would take a more active role in resolutions that would make it simpler for buyers and remove friction between buyers and sellers.

"Our goal is to stand behind the transactions on eBay no matter the payment method and make a long term investment in the customer experience and the eBay brand."

AuctionBytes has learned that, in disputes found in favor of the buyer, eBay itself may actually issue refunds without waiting for the seller to do so. This would be a radical change for the company, and something to which many sellers may strenuously object. It's not clear whether eBay will give sellers less time to respond to claims or how it will collect from the seller.

Lieberman said the company is not releasing specifics and is taking a deliberate approach to testing the new process. eBay would roll out the new dispute process in a way that makes sense for buyers and sellers, he said.

Sources say that many of the specifics to be announced tomorrow would not come as a surprise to those who follow eBay and listened to its recent presentation to analysts. There are some new features designed to make it easier for sellers, such as a new feature similar to Hosted Support's FAQs feature to help reduce buyer inquiries. (Sellers currently report far fewer customers inquiries on sites such as Amazon.com than on eBay.)

Longer-term changes appear to revolve around an easier returns process for buyers, a more robust checkout system and an expansion of its structured catalog pages where shoppers see a more Amazon-style page when shopping for items. A more consistent and detailed catalog would be especially well received by large Diamond-level merchants who list their inventory on multiple channels.

eBay is revealing its spring product release cycle tomorrow scheduled to roll out live to the site in June. Expect an Announcement Board post tomorrow morning. A Town Hall meeting is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, and the changes will be discussed on Griff's radio show tomorrow and on the eBay Ink corporate blog.

Update: Here is the announcement.

Perminate Link for Tomorrow's eBay Announcements: No Fee Change, New Dispute Process   Tomorrow's eBay Announcements: No Fee Change, New Dispute Process

by: crackhead barbie

Tue Apr 14 05:53:52 2009

Oh boy ! now it will be even easier to screw all you ebay sellers. I buy, i receive, i complain, i get a refund, i keep the item , and maybe jusy maybe i will send you back an empty box confirmed mail so you got it back ebay will think !. hehehe.

by: Walter

Tue Apr 14 06:07:48 2009

So, let me get this straight. Ebay will issue the refund and then go after the seller for the money?

So whats to stop a ''buyer'' from getting an ebay refund and then doing a chargeback through paypal and getting that back too?

Maybe I'm wrong but is ebay telling us that scammers will now be able to get two refunds on the same item from sellers?

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Tue Apr 14 06:26:44 2009

this policy will only be in effect for those sellers who are NOT power titanium or diamond sellers.

Those sellers are "exempt" if they continue to generate cash for ebay in an acceptable manner.

Anyone not bringing in more than $2k a month, will have to submit their bank account and house as collateral!LOL!

Where are the ebay cheerleaders?LOL!hahah

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Tue Apr 14 06:34:26 2009

I'm convinced that ebay has elevated the threat to get rid of all sellers, other than a few large businesses. This is in order to scale down their site in preparation to sell the core (which will be streamlined and easy to operate) to an Asian buyer. That's why it is also peeling off other investments such as stumble and skype.Mark my words. I'll bet you a nickel I'm right!

by: Cal

Tue Apr 14 07:21:19 2009

Last month I had a buyer purchase an item for $520. Buyer left feedback saying how great it was and then two weeks later filed a dispute with paypal saying it arrived broken. I told the buyer to send it back that was shipped insured and I would refund. A week later he leaves a usps tracking number of 5555 5555 5555 5555 for the "returned package" which of course never arrived. Paypal ended up refunding the transaction a couple of hours later since they had been able to confirm delivery.

No matter their intention, eBay and Paypal's negligence facilitate fraud.

What is next? Anyone who leaves neg/nuetral or 1/2 dsr get a refund automatically?

by: bunnspec

Tue Apr 14 07:44:34 2009

The past year has seen some of the most poorly engineered changes in the formats I have ever seen, coupled with changes to fees that are excessive;  unscientific rating systems that are based on mere opinions that have way more weight than they deserve, to rate GOOD sellers.

There is a distinct and STRONG impression that these DSR ratings were designed with an unnatural bell curve with one purpose only: to destroy GOOD sellers reputations and remove them from the ebay selling platform.

Best match is a search mode designed to block the abilities of GOOD sellers to list and sell their items, once again, the end result is an apparent means of generating ebay revenue on the backs of GOOD sellers that never get exposure of their items.

The admission of the mega sellers (Diamond)  that have no listing fees and direct most of their traffic to THEIR website, are just taking advantage of ebays need for high listing numbers to impress the shareholders. With their terrible STR and buyer ratings, they are totally unacceptable to buyers, but THEY don't care, since all sales on ebay are nothing but loss leaders in their business plan.

By allowing the megasellers to submerge all other sellers in the new search mode, once again, revenues from GOOD sellers are actually being used to bolster the revenue stream for ebay without fulfilling the contractural duties to the small GOOD sellers.

The use of Paypal as the enforcement arm of T&S with the 21 day+ holds account freezes and other modes of control is just so much smoke and mirrors to generate revenue for ebay/paypal from the "floated funds"-once again damaging GOOD sellers reputations in the name of Trust and Safety.

These are the main points of the reasons I have closed my account with Paypal last July and closed my account with ebay this month-you have totally lost my trust and respect with your Draconian methods towards all GOOD sellers.

by: and*the*horses*you*rode*in*on

Tue Apr 14 09:23:21 2009

HO and NO gotta GO!

Neg Meg 2010

*wink wink*

by: and*the*horses*you*rode*in*on

Tue Apr 14 09:27:03 2009

Don't forget double President Norrington's most "recent" NEGATIVE for selling something on eBay:

AMATURE S&H NO PROTECTION DAMAGED HINT USE CARDBOARD SANDWICH, BAD COMMUNICATION

THAT says a LOT.

by: to all you ebay sellers

Tue Apr 14 09:33:22 2009

Get ready all you last ebay sellers holding on... It will cost you lots more money to refund, lose your items, spend more time on items and newbies and then receive crappy returns.
Why are you NOT leaving and going to iOffer.com and Bonanzle.com already?
Ebay DOES NOT WANT YOU. Can't be any more clearer than that now.

by: Kitty

Tue Apr 14 09:40:26 2009

Why is anybody shocked?
eBay has said over and over that they don't care what buyers and sellers think.  They know what is best for us.
eBay management has also stated over and over again that good sellers may get destroyed along with the bad ones (and that is fine and to be expected).

I think the army calls it "aceptible collateral damage"?

New products and page veiws cannot fix eBay.  Verified buyers and sellers, a working search, simple to apply rules and the all important level playing field (which I have YET to see) would make for a fantastic buying and selling experience.

by: Darth Buyer

Tue Apr 14 09:46:21 2009

I am tempted to become an eBay Seller, and make my commitment to the Dark Side complete.

Plans are underway to sell rocks calibrated to the weight of X-Boxes, DVD players, iPhones and books.

Our biggest fear is that dishonest buyers will not return our rocks, but substitute them with eBay Bibles and Video Professor "How to Sell on eBay" discs.

by: Dee

Tue Apr 14 10:52:00 2009

I used to be a powerseller and loved to sell as well as buy on ebay but with all the changes in the past year and a half I've pretty much given up on ebay.
I can't find what I want to buy because the new search and sales have fallen off since best match,new search and dsr were implemented. I still have 100 and 4.9 but I don't list huge quantities every month so I end up with standard rather than raised.
They've not only lost a seller but a buyer as well.

by: John

Tue Apr 14 10:52:01 2009

Ebay must be kidding! They have already acknowledge that lower fees are on the way. By not announcing it this cycle, it shows that they are having trouble executing their long term strategy.

by: new rule >

Tue Apr 14 11:05:34 2009

also, any money generated by selling on ebay must go to paypal first, you send out the item, ebay then will automatically refund the buyer. Case closed. sellers u lose, again.

by: nancy

Tue Apr 14 11:13:54 2009

Among my MANY problems with this new dispute resolution process:

''If tracking indicates that the item will arrive outside this timeframe or is lost in transit, the seller may be held accountable. The same proof of delivery criteria apply to cross-border transactions.''

If the item is LOST IN TRANSIT, how the H is that MY fault??  They ought to make SURE that ALL listings require buyers to pay for the insurance, End of Story. Then it's the BUYER'S problem.

Here's another doozy:  Buyer received a completely different item. Example: Purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box

Empty box, how do they PROVE that ?? By opening the box, removing the contents, and sending a pic of the empty box?

Oh come ON!

and then the wonderful capper to this whole pile of you-know-what:

Follow these best practices:

Always ship with a carrier that provides shipping and/or delivery confirmation. If you are not using PayPal or eBay to print labels, upload item tracking information into My eBay. When an item has shipped, mark it as shipped in My eBay. Write detailed listing descriptions with accurate item condition such as used, new, or refurbished. Clearly describe any flaws. Include multiple pictures of an item in your listings, especially if there are flaws

When are they gonna FIX the upload tracking numbers thing-y so it even WORKS??

I abandonded that whole thing months ago when every time I tried to access it, it had no box for tracking numbers, and I DO NOT HAVE, NOR WILL I MAKE TIME to go back and RE-DO every shipping notice hours later, I WILL NOT!

I spend enough time already doing shipping notices to these illiterate MORONS who don't read any of it anyhow.

About 1/5 of my buyers have an old e-mail and they aren't getting the notices ANYHOW. The other 4/5 read a tracking number, then delete it, and about 1 in 20 (I am being VERY generous) actually TRACK the package.

There is NO excuse for them to add to MY workload without my sending THEM a bill.

IF they fixed it, so that when I input a tracking number, it just SENDS a notice to the buyer, and records it in the system, that would work. But that probably would be too much like real WORK for eBay.

As I said, if you ever tried that ''Add tracking number'' you'll SEE that it functions IF it feels like it. I am NOT EVER going back in to re-enter that stuff after the fact, it is ALL wasted time after the sale is over anyway, since 95% of these buyers don't bother to look at them.

the ONLY thing they really did to help sellers is:
Incorrect contact information is a driver of disputes. What does eBay plan to do about buyers with incorrect contact information in the eBay system?
We recognize that this has been a longstanding issue for sellers. A buyer's email address or other contact information may be invalid when a seller attempts to reach out to resolve an issue. Beginning in April 2009, if we detect that a member has an invalid email address, we will stop the member at sign-in and require an updated address.

DUOOOOOH it's about time you dingbats.

About 50% of the buyers on eBay have either a bad e-mail or a bad phone number or BOTH.

I still want to know what they are going to do about the 30% of buyers who don't READ???

Either they don't or they can't, one or the other.

Oh yeah, and they finally admit that all negatives and neutrals will get removed once a buyer goes through UID.  I STILL say that if the payment doesn't record in My eBay, they shouldn't be allowed to leave ANY feedback, period. Why would you go through all this BS when you can just block their ability to leave feedback if they don't pay??

They have a long long way to go to make it up to all the sellers who feel that they've been ignored and abused. If this refund garbage goes bad (I betcha it will) then they can kiss alot of people good-bye.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall when they have to listen to the whining and garbage we get to listen to every day by picky wicky (I got a damaged box, the item's okay but the box has a dent) idiotic buyers!!

Anyhow, on a NICE note, in just a few DAYS Bonanzle will pass eCrater to become number three, and then eBid won't be far behind.

Everybody looking for an alternative sales venue for Holiday 2009 should watch http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

like a hawk!!

Bonanzle's growth rate is increasing each week, give them til the holidays (or sooner if this refund stuff goes badly) to get within spitting distance of eBay. eBays's numbers prior to the retailer ''dumping'' were around 7 million listings....

by: otispd

Tue Apr 14 11:17:24 2009

I have a bridge to sell in Brooklyn!  If anybody believes that this will in any way benefit a seller on eBay, you may be a candidate for the purchase!!!

I have found a solution to the eBay problem--I am developing an independent webstore and have listed my last auction on eBay!

by: half.com has that problem too

Tue Apr 14 11:20:30 2009

We still have to put in fake Delivery Confiramtion #'s to access half.com email service to the buyer.
Once in a blue moon a buyer will state that the number will listed is not working. We then email them to let them know it is a fake # so that we can use the half.com email system.
If they ask too many question weblock them as the have the smell of a bad buyer.

by: they are sooooo confused

Tue Apr 14 11:29:41 2009

LIEberman says:

"the customer"... who's customer are they speaking of? oh, that's right MY customer and I am THEIR customer, but wait, they are screwing me in the rear, how can I be their customer? ok now I'm confused, who's customer am I again? lmao

Excuse me, I have to go to the ebay site to do some window shopping and decide on a few VERY expensive purchases to make in June, that I can say I never received and get for FREE!

by: Megsatwta

Tue Apr 14 11:47:04 2009

Ina your link is from August 2008

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Apr 14 11:47:05 2009

It's alright, its okay. Jesus told me soooo!

1 2 3 4 5  [Next Page]