Tue Jan 13 2009 19:41:12

eBay Changes Search and Templates in Stores

eBay announced the launch of a "new eBay Stores Experience" with new storefront templates and enhancements to Stores search results. Searches within Stores will include titles, categories, item specifics, and similar keywords, for more relevant results.

eBay said the eBay Stores Experience "gives your store a face lift by bringing the design more in line with the rest of eBay, which makes it less confusing to buyers when they land in your store."

eBay devoted a large section of its FAQs about the change to technical questions, including the following statement:

We no longer support any customizations that conflict with our Site Interference Policy. Some typical conflicts include taking over the eBay global header or changing the appearance of the in-store search items list. If your design attempts to manipulate those elements, your store might not function properly, and you will need to remove the problematic customizations. To read more about our Site Interference Policy, see http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-interference.html

Most customizations done within the bounds of our policy should not break. However, if you use CSS or JavaScript extensively, you may need to optimize your code for the new eBay Stores Experience.

AsWas.com, which helps sellers design eBay Stores, issued a press statement stating that "Thousands of Stores designed by people or companies calling themselves "eBay experts" will break," and named a competitor as "the company who has the most least compliant Stores."

How do you know if your eBay Store will break under the changes? eBay said Store owners can preview how their Stores will look, and the new format will be optional for now. After March, all Stores will be automatically upgraded.

Perminate Link for eBay Changes Search and Templates in Stores   eBay Changes Search and Templates in Stores

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Thu Jan 15 22:38:19 2009

I see the ever so humble commodity know it alls are still with us.

Before making such definitive (and euqally asinine) comments like I just read above, get your head and your facts straight.

Or do you and you alone own THE magic ebay success formula?

by: B T James

Fri Jan 16 00:55:50 2009

I thought the new eBay Store Experience was a great idea until they gave the standard promise: "She feels eBay has been making changes that add consistency to the site. "Buyers will stay on the site longer and spend more money" with a more consistent and less frustrating experience, she said."

They always say that when they are going to mess something up and sure enough, buyers don't stay longer, they don't spend more money, and they aren't happy.  But don't take it from me, look at their sales results.  The proof is in the pudding.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Fri Jan 16 09:21:19 2009

Do you people who are pushing Bonanzle really think that it will be free forever?  Do you think that it will be able to follow the craigslist model of fees only for certain things?

Judging by what I've read about him, I'm willing to bet he'll cash in when he knows he can.  Then you'll be in the same predicament as you are with eBay....do you pay up and suck it up, or do you move the the newest alternative?

By the way, those of you who are moving to Bonanzle and LOWERING your prices below what they were on eBay are insane!  I would use another word, but I'll get flamed for my honesty and my powers of observation.  Why in the world would you price things cheaper than you (and/or others) have the same product on eBay?  If you were correct in assuming that many people no longer like to shop on eBay or even trust the company, why not price your items competitively, rather than trying to low-ball some anonymous eBay drone who is listing the contents of their dead grandmother's junk drawer?

by: Dave

Fri Jan 16 09:49:05 2009

I've been on eBay since 1998, I generally think eBay should eat rocks on a lot of days just like a lot of folks. Since we are talking about coding changes, and not the mentality (or lack thereof) of eBay, eBay's changes of the requirements for this section are something I would have done long ago, along with some other changes that would seriously affect what I call the code threatening sellers. My feelings are that eBay should push the rogue sellers right off and personnally I don't care if their code breaks or not. My own code was done with very careful attention to what was required, and more, with careful attention to what could alter my page display in a store or item page in the future. It is kind of like playing chess, you have to think ahead a bit and always assume the worst or else your toast. And if you have to go into your pages and edit 1000s of pages of code because a rule changes, etc, then you didn't plan ahead. And it doesn't matter if we are talking about eBay or the other venues, it applies to them all.

by: John Marceau

Fri Jan 16 10:52:47 2009

Ina,
When the hell are those ebay people going to stop making changes. I'm at my wits end. I like the way my store looks. Leave it alone.  Does anyone at ebay listen??  Take a look at my store please.....user ID  jmarc9213. Can you recommend a person who I can email instead of customer service?
Thanks
John Marceau

by: daretosell

Fri Jan 16 17:18:30 2009

This might not be the place to post, if not, please tell me where to go:
After 6yrs, I just got laid off work, we use to sell years ago on ebay, today I was surfing again, trying to figure out the best way to build a storefront and the best, easy, least expensive (seller-post an auction) software and I came upon your blog. I'd like a storefront, I think,  I'd like to try selling on ebay again and we might even try that new Bonanzle and amazon, not alot of stuff just household things. But times have changed soo much (and I don't have Auction Assistant anymore:( I don't know where to start. You guys seem to know what you're talking about, if you have any ideas where I should start or what program might work  please let me know. ChannelMAX had good reviews, but they no longer take new ebay sellers.
I asked ebay some questions about their new program Turbo Lister last week and have not received an answer. I have been looking everywhere, reading software reviews, I've left a couple posts but the answers I get include affiliate links. So here I am asking you. help, I'm getting desperate.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Sat Jan 17 00:45:23 2009

@daretosell

The best advice I can give you is NOT to sell again on ebay. Today's ebay isn't the ebay you once knew, and you could lose what little you have to spend.

For the reasons why this is so, I recommend you read as many of the past monthly blog topics as possible (links are upper right by month).

If after educating yourself about the new ebay, you still want to sell, ebay's Blackthorne has some fans here.

Good luck. And don't forget that the Criminal Wall Street Fat Cats and their corporate criminal friends are likely responsible fopr you losing your job.

Good luck!

by: @daretosell

Sat Jan 17 06:48:03 2009

BEST advice - stay clear away from eBay. You will not make monet there and the rules change everyday. They are strictly anti-seller. You're much better off to list on iOffer.com and Bonanzle.com. If you have Craig's List in your area you could try that atoo.

by: Daisy

Sat Jan 17 10:27:37 2009

@daretosell

If you're just going to sell things around the house, then just use Turbolister or Auctiva. They're free.

If you're selling expensive things or name brands, you'll be subject to Paypal's 21 day holds.

Good luck!

by: o.c.d.collectibles

Sat Jan 17 14:13:35 2009

I used to Love Seller Sourcebook when I used to sell on ebay! I think you can use their templates and photo hosting in other  places, it's just a little more complicated. Although for me that translates into VERY complicated!LOL! I wish they could merge with all the sales venues and have templates that could fit each venue specifically.Wouldn't that be a great tech development for someone to sell?

by: Trish

Tue Jan 20 12:13:46 2009

Bob, you made some valid points about Bonanzle. I decided to try shopping there this weekend before I make any decisions about listing there, and I have to say that the shopping and search experience left a LOT to be desired.

Of course, going to the discussion boards there and saying anything that questions Bonanazle's greatness is out of the question. While I can understand that everyone has high hopes for the place, I cannot understand being blinded to it's shortcomings based on sheer hope alone.

I did some calculations based on the prices of my items, and found that their FVF's still come to 10-15% of the sale, not including payment processing fees. Of course, there is no listing fees, but right now the sellthrough rate is very low, so it's not much of a compensation, is it?

Another thing is the lack of advertising on their part, and no real plans to do so in the future. No all of us have time to make posts all over the internet in hopes of drawing a handful of sales to our Bonanzle booth. While I'm no fan of ebay at this point, it's almost worth it to me sometimes to pay the crazy fees, and know that I don't have to run myself ragged self-promoting my items.

by: Josh

Wed Jan 28 02:47:46 2009

No Spin Zone:

Wow, why attack  aswas so strongly, I think your concept of professional must be flawed, not only is their page professional, I have always enjoyed looking through their before and after store redesigns, Im imagining you are in some way connected to their competitor? Who cares if someone slips secret ebay news out a day early, most of us are fed up with ebay corporate anyway, things def seem to be going downhill and small/medium sellers are leaving...I was recently looking through old lists of top sellers (2006) trying to decide if I was interested in opening an ebay store- and only 1/3 of the sellers i researched were still active-most had moved on to running their own storefronts and websites. !

Thanks for the info on teh ebay alternatives...I was excited about bonanzle...but every search term I tried came up with "no search returns" ! Probably just a bug, but I cant imagine typing "art" or "book" into ebay and ever having that happen!....etsy is great, I put a couple of random handmade items up, forget about them and suddenly get random paypal payments, I dont have teh inventory to focus their but its a very easy, no hassle alternative

by: boowho

Wed Apr 22 09:43:10 2009

Bonanzle's real agenda is to sell you a webstore. They don't care about ads for free sellers.

1 2