Mon Jan 21 2008 20:23:33

eBay Problems with PayPal Shipping Labels

There have been issues affecting eBay sellers' ability to print labels through PayPal. I received one letter on Sunday that demonstrates the friction glitches can cause between sellers and their buyers, particularly when there's no documentation of a problem:

There is an issue affecting sellers who use UPS shipping through their Paypal account. Many folks, myself included, are unable to print UPS labels and get only an error message "PayPal Shipping is not available. We apologize for the inconvenience". I would like to stress that the most frustrating part of this technical issue is that neither Paypal or Ebay has posted this issue to their system announcements board. When a buyer asks why their shipment is delayed sellers have no official bulletin to reference and the buyer must be thinking that it's just an excuse the seller has fabricated.

Included with this were links to 3 threads:

First, started December 13, 2007, in the Technical Issues board.

Second, started January 10, 2008, in the PayPal board.

Third, started December 8, 2007 in the Packaging & Shipping board.

I also received a letter on Sunday from a seller of bullion who says it's almost impossible to use PayPal shipping labels for non-PayPal funded transactions.

Here is a software glitch that has been going on for many months. I won't bore you by recounting my many attempts to address it.

I am a seller of bullion. High price, low margin. I successfully talk most buyers into not using PP (really effective when PP is not an option).

Here is the glitch. I quickly clear the buyers check, go to print shipping label using PP shipping only to be told that my ebay and PP accounts are not linked. If it were just a matter of hitting the link button in PP, that would be the end of it. Too bad said button fails to stay green once that page is left.

OK, I will detail some tries to resolve. Nine emails to PP, zero responses. 5 phone calls, some claimed to write a tech report, others nicely claimed I was computer illiterate, and one rep suggested I use another shipping service like USPS.com. Discussed with power-seller rep. He replied that he has heard of this before and feels bad but has no influence to report (come to thing of it, he has no influence in just about any matter discussed.)

I would have switched to USPS.com however, their minimum service is Priority Mail. If I make $2 on a silver bar and charge $2 to ship, using Priority Mail Flat envelope at $4,60 it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to see the result.

This glitch is using IE 7.0. If using FireFox, I have a workaround that works most of the time so I will share it here.

Open ebay page to print shipping link - Open second PP page and turn on shipping link button - dash back to ebay page and hit ship button. Works most of the time.

Final thoughts. Ironically, this issue first appeared last year when ebay was pushing and promoting using PP shipping with a big prize.

Conspiracy theory is that this is not fixed to discourage sellers taking payments other than PP.

eBay posted an announcement about the problem on Monday at 11 am, and pronounced it fixed an hour later. Feel free your comments on eBay's handling of the problem.

Perminate Link for eBay Problems with PayPal Shipping Labels   eBay Problems with PayPal Shipping Labels

by: James Rassman

Sun Feb 22 08:56:07 2009

Won't print a ups label.Wiped out byers info. Tried to reprint,charged me twice to pay pal account. It shows the transaction is confirmed.UPS # 1z9x968a0398672023 HELP

by: Nick

Wed Jun 24 21:33:29 2009

There has been problems with trying to ship via UPS when using Paypal for months.  I keep getting the message Shipping via UPS is not available at this time.  I called Paypal several times and they say they do not know when it will be fixed.  This has been a problem for months now, how can they not know when it will be fixed.

by: SHARON ROBERTSON

Fri Oct 2 13:21:24 2009

Paypal shipping suddenly stopped working about 2 years ago; thought it was a temporary glitch, but I've never been able to use it since.  I get all the way through the process up to clicking the "pay and print" button and then I get the message "paypal shipping is not available -- your card has not been charged" ... I've tried every suggestion I have ever read on how to fix it, called eBay, Paypal and the USPS.  NOTHING WORKS!!  I'm frustrated at being forced to pay Stamps.com $17.99 a month to do what I SHOULD be able to do for free...grrrrrr....

by: Blanca

Sat Nov 14 22:41:00 2009

It has been 3 days and i still get that message ''Paypal shipping not available'' I called paypal they were not able to help me. Told me to clear cookies and cache but that didn't work. I'm still using same printer. There are funds in my paypal account to pay for labels so i really don't know what else to do. Even tried diff browsers firefox, safari, google crome, ie none of them worked. If anyone knows of other site where i could print labels plz let me know. I can't print my labels at the USPS site b/c the only option they give me is priority mail and most of my packages go first class. When i called paypal they made me feel as if i was the only one having this problem like if it was the first time they heard from it LOL

by: Ellie

Mon May 17 14:00:09 2010

Whatever people think is solved isn't solved. The problem keeps recurring! It's 2010 and there's still a glitch that pops up and delays shipping.

I'm not computer illiterate by the widest stretch of the imagination and I have everything set up that I need to be set up for this to work. It has worked before. It's just not working reliably.

Pitney Bowes is a reputable service that works well on their own and should not bother getting their professional reputation mixed in with Paypal and eBay!

by: JSW

Mon Dec 20 08:58:58 2010

''This User ID already exists.PayPal Shipping is not available. We apologize for the inconvenience''

A few months ago I spent from 10:30am till 2:30pm first trying to resolved the problem myself than alternately calling UPS and PayPal as each in turn could not resolve the problem and referred me to the other. I finally just shipped the item through my UPS account. I have some large items to ship and this puts me at a shipping price disadvantage on eBay so I am going to try to sell my large items locally through Craigslist.

by: Jack Wilkenson

Sat Apr 16 04:44:55 2011

Shipping label problems and then it's where's my money problem. My business crashed because I used PayPal and now I'm more careful. Sites like http://www.screw-paypal.com exist for a reasons: for problems bigger than just shipping labels getting botched or charged incorrectly. I'm talking about limited accounts for no reason. About giving PayPal every piece of sensitive information about yourself and your business only to STILL be denied access to your funds AND have all that information that you gave PayPal be used against you -- like to deny you from ever opening another PayPal account or using your information to affect your credit report or give collection agencies your ssn!

by: Tom

Fri May 6 10:56:02 2011

Hi,

There's an offiical thread on some of the problems reported in these comments, and it seems people are finding this blog post in their searches instead of that thread.  It's more helpful, as a PayPal rep is responding.  You can find it here:

y-UPS-to-Paypal/td-p/133222