Tue Jan 26 2010 08:14:29

eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

As anticipated, eBay will eliminate its Store Inventory format and has introduced a new pricing structure effective March 30, 2010. There will be one Fixed Price format on eBay - listings in the current Stores Inventory Format will automatically become regular Fixed Price listings with the same duration and appear with all other Fixed Price listings in eBay search results.

eBay will also extend the multi-variation listing feature to more categories - this allows sellers to list multiple variations of a product, including color and size, in one listing.

Sellers may no longer use the PowerSeller icon or references to the PowerSeller designation in listing templates, listing descriptions, About Me pages, or Stores pages.

Some initial thoughts:
With the new eBay Stores pricing, it's much more expensive to list in Stores format for low-volume sellers - you pay the same $15.95/month subscription fee, but rather than paying as low as 3 cents to list, you must pay a 20-cent insertion fee. However, your listings appear in Core search results.

An option would be to pay a higher monthly subscription fee - almost $50, and get insertion fees of 5 cents. eBay says this works for sellers who list over 250 items per month.

A lot of news to digest here, let's hear your comments!

Fee Changes
- No Insertion Fees for Auction-style listings when you list your item with a start price under $1—up to 100 listings per month. Pay only if your item sells.

- New low Insertion Fees when you list your item with a start price of $1 or more

- One easy Final Value Fee of 9% of the winning bid—and never more than $50—regardless of your start price or final selling price.

- 50-cent Insertion Fee for Fixed Price with Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same.

eBay will also introduce new fees for its Stores.
BASIC: 20¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $15.95/month - Consider a Basic Store if you list more than 50 Fixed Price or Auction-style items a month. It's a great starter package if you plan to start an eBay business or ramp up your selling.

PREMIUM: 5¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $49.95/month - Great choice for higher volume sellers (more than 250 items per month) and sellers listing in both Auction-style and Fixed Price formats.

ANCHOR: 3¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $299.95/month - Get the same great deal as the old Store Inventory format-now with full exposure in search results! With an Anchor Store subscription, higher volume sellers get top savings and the lowest package rates on eBay.

NOTE: Starting in March, meeting the new minimum performance standard for all sellers will be a requirement for Premium and Anchor subscribers. ("Above Standard.")

- Insertion Fees as low as 3¢ for Fixed Price listings with full exposure in search results

- Fixed Price Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same

- New low Auction-style Insertion Fees

- Auction-style Final Value Fees significantly reduced over the new standard rate

- FREE pictures—up to 12 per listing

- FREE Selling Manager Pro with Premium and Anchor subscriptions

- Plus all the other great marketing tools you get with an eBay Stores subscription, including your own customizable store front and Markdown Manager.

New PowerSeller discounts and seller requirements coming in mid-April - the new PowerSeller requirements (originally announced in July 2009) will be in effect for all PowerSellers, not just Top-rated sellers. And with the new PowerSeller discount schedule (also announced in July), only eBay Top-rated sellers will receive 20% fee discounts. All other PowerSellers will receive 5% discounts. PowerSellers will see this change reflected on their statements starting May 1, 2010.

Here's a link to eBay's overview page.

Perminate Link for eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format   eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

by: dcsbodyjewelry

Tue Jan 26 18:06:08 2010

Upgrading to a premium store will work for us, but I think it sucks Ebay will now be charging 50 cents extra per listing if you want your listings to get international visibility.

We get alot of orders from Canadian shoppers, but certainly not enough Canadian orders to warrant paying 50 cents extra per listing to get exposure on .ca site.

by: Harriet

Tue Jan 26 18:08:14 2010

You can have a FREE store on eCrater.com. I started there over a year ago and I am very happy with the results. I can see the traffic to my store and exactly what they are looking at and how long they stay because I have Google Analytics. Yesterday, I had 120 visits and during the holiday season, I had at times, well over 200 visits per day. This is because eCrater has an excellent interface with Google. I do have a lot of items listed, probably the equivalent of a smaller sized store on eBay. Those of you who have thousands listed in your stores would benefit much more than I.

My sales have been wonderful and trouble free.

There is no dark, dinginess hanging over sellers heads. You are free to set up your store the way you like, within the limits of good taste and good business.

Yes, there are some rules, and there is a learning curve, but the total feeling is so much lighter and more nimble and freer than eBay. It's like a breath of fresh air. To me, it feels the way ecommerce is supposed to feel, no manipulation, no evil rules, you list your item, put a reasonable price on it, put reasonable shipping, treat your customers with respect and things sell.

The key is to list as much as you can there. It brings more people to your store.

It's a pretty simple concept.

I am so sick and tired of reading about all these "double-edged sword" changes couched in cheery wrappings to make it palatable. It's so convoluted, deceitful and manipulative.

by: headlines

Tue Jan 26 18:09:52 2010

OUR LOWEST INSERTION FEES EVER COMING THIS SPRING: FREE AUCTION-STYLE LISTINGS; FIXED PRICE AS LOW AS 3¢ WITH FULL SEARCH EXPOSURE

I just can't get over this title, but what are they going to say?
Lowest insertion fee -free auctions
(*****for items selling for a dollar or less this is a special for sellers who basically want to do the next best thing to just giving it away)

Fixed price for 3 cents (****and 300.00 monthly store fee)

by: x_powerseller

Tue Jan 26 18:17:37 2010

We left eBay almost a year ago, after being silver powerseller for more than 5 years and never looked back!     Today’s announcement is just a confirmation that we did the right thing.  This is yet  another money grab by Donuthole trying to convince everyone that increasing fees in a deceiving and manipulating way is just a fee decrease.  IT IS NOT!    He did it before, he is doing it now and will always do it.

If the title of the wall street Journal article is: “EBay To Cut Listing Fees In Bid To Lure Sellers”, let me tell you as a former eBay seller, J.D. is doing a lousy job in luring me back.

I also need to remind everyone here including the writer of the wall street Journal, that sellers like me didn’t leave eBay just for high fees and no return to justify it.

They left for:

1) Best Match that sucks
2) No negative feedback by sellers
3) DSR allowing scammers to destroy a sellers reputation
4) Low traffic
5) Nonexistent customer service
6) Endless glitches that doesn’t end
7) Chinese garbage cluttering the site

And the list goes on………………..

I realize that this article is only about fees, but add it to the above list and no way they will be luring any former or new sellers back!

eBay now is nothing more than a cluttered place filled with Chinese junk and scammers.

We had the best selling year ever ( 2009)  selling on our own websites, ecrater and amazon. Hope you are having fun J.D.!   I am sure amazon are having a ton of fun, especially when they post their numbers in few days!

by: Fruity

Tue Jan 26 18:17:50 2010

oh and with all this coming down, I haven't given up my belief that this is timely. Timely in that ebay has a reason to get us all shifted in focus so that small business owners dont speak out against the decision making by Meg Whitman on this marketplace. My thoughts, she was aware this was going to happen, endorsed it and planned it and ran for the hills away from ebay.

I think its well timed that ebay is amping up the mainstreet government program on all our pages and that apparently ebay is providing services to Meg Whitman, now a republican politican who is running for Governor of California. I think its quite strange that over the past 3 weeks that there are no Meg Whitman listings other than her listings and books and ebay branded merchandise. 1 listing last weekend, 3 listings this weekend. 15 today. I mean hey, if you want to provide services to Margaret that's totally fine, but the chances of there being that little of anything is next to impossible and she better be disclosing that in her financial statements. Federal election law mandates it.

The biggest question politically in my mind is, ebay knows these changes will adversely impact the small business owners to the point where they will close up shop. The loss of even 1 small business in our economic condition is terrible. It takes away from our economy. How about thousands? Is ebay knowingly after years of lobbying about small businesses and the jobs that are created, are they using their market power to make this a republican agenda. Or are they doing this because they want to make sure the economy of small businesses suffer so that they can lobby for no taxes for big corporations and off shore accounts and the internet tax... so that ebay can continue to tax us all

Sleazy ebay if thats what you're doing

by: Bookseller

Tue Jan 26 18:27:14 2010

I am a bookseller with 10,000 plus,I will list media thats under $5 on half.com only and they will show up in ebay.The other books over $5 i will list on ebay.I will probably buy the anchor store at $299 and have 7,000 books at $210

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 18:28:54 2010

and while I'm at it. Lets invoke some financial questions.

How much of that money that paypal is apparently finding new ways to seize small business liquity is being placed on the balance sheet and how much of it is off-balance on the Money market fund. Seems to me when I looked at your filings last week you got a little line item there where it is accounted for on ebay. Is that including all the holds & reserves or are those sellers reporting that paypal is saying sign up for the Money Market Fund & get interest on the reserves is put somewhere else.

You know if the money is being held because of risk, you dont put it in for investment purposes.

wait. Unless of course, you dont want to show your risk exposure is growing

Wow, see what kind of questions I can come up with when you dont give me a fair shake on the marketplace.

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 18:39:56 2010

Yeah right, they'll get you with the relisting. You'll prolly have to relist your stuff 5 times longer. The house always wins. Ebays not going to give anyone charity! LMAO

You can't do a comparison until you understand whether ebay plans to make changes that impact exposure up or down on that format

by: ZZTopshlf

Tue Jan 26 18:53:03 2010

WALL STREET REPORTER:

If I were a reporter, I'd look into what Paypal is doing with all the money they are holding via ''Rolling Reserves'' and ''21 day holds''. I'd ask Ebay how many paypal accounts fall under either of these criteria and how much money is being held.

I heard JD saying they expect great growth for Paypal next quarter. Does he guarantee that by grabbing more lucrative seller accounts and placing them with holds? I'd also ask them to prove that they are not collecting interest off of these holds. They claim they are not, but does anyone believe that?

Also, I would not take the bait that Ebay is trying to get you to swallow about listing fees. They are trying to curb the number of auctions in favor of a more ''amazon'' like environment where people can buy products now. The new fees for auctions, make it more expensive for those selling in certain ranges. You have seen those sellers on here complaining, justifiably.

That in my opinion is a mistake. Amazon did not get out of the auction business because it was a bad place to be. They got out of it because Ebay was so good at it!

I'd split the two, auctions and fixed price. Make it so that when people come to ebay's front page they are hit with two big options. Get it via auction, or get it now. Create a subscription plan for those who want to focus on auctions like they did today with stores.

If I've been dealt two aces, I'm going to split them. Let the buyer decide where they want to go to get what they are looking for, period.

This is a winning formula for Ebay. Will they ever get it, who the heck knows.

by: susan

Tue Jan 26 18:58:07 2010

I will be closing my store in March due to this increase. from 3 cents to 20 cents?  Oh my gosh.  That puts me right out of business.  My customers are already spending less due to the economy.  I don't need a huge increase in fees too.  goodbye to ebay after many many years of doing business with them.

by: Cowbell

Tue Jan 26 19:01:28 2010

I must be one of those sellers eBay doesn't want.

A fee "cut" is great news. Funny, though how the "cut" will increase my fees from $22 per month to $55 if I keep my store the way it is.

If I change to the next level store, eBay will "cut" my fees from $22 to $57.

Expressing unhappiness about a 150% fee increase could be considered "whining" by some people. I intend to prosper, as well, Drew, just somewhere else. For the small sellers who have no viable options, a little "whining" over their destroyed businesses is justified, Particularly in the current economy.

I moved my 2,000 items to Amazon two years ago, and left only around 150 in the eBay store. I can move the rest. Some people can't.

by: Herm172

Tue Jan 26 19:11:22 2010

I am converted! I see the light!
10+ years on eBay, 2 Stores, over 3000 items, but while reading this post I have started to end the store items. Tomorrow I start checking out the other sites, Bonzale, eCrater, etc. Thats the future. eBay won't want us until were gone and then it's gonna be to late. Same old story. Good luck to anyone staying.

by: Dave

Tue Jan 26 19:13:46 2010

For me it is a definite increase on the FVF. I sell almost exclusively in the computers section which had a 6% FVF for fixed price listing. It will cost 8% when the changes take effect.

The part that really pisses me off is ebay sends an email telling me how selling on ebay will be more affordable than ever by saving me a very little upfront but more for the FVF??? SERIOUSLY?? We've seen it before. Ebay loves to kiss you on the mouth and then @#%& you in the a$$.

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 19:26:38 2010

I mean what's with those reserves and holds, isn't it timely how it all started to escalate with the economic crisis? Did this have anything to do with the bank & processing relations you have, Wells Fargo and American Express getting bailout money? Did Geithner and the Treasury review of bailout banks to ensure they were well capitalized and not taking on bad risk. Did that cause you to get maybe YOUR processing fees or reserves increased? You have the priviledge of having FDIC protected by pass through insurance John Donahoe. If you want to use it to bankroll your own issues and come up with creative reasonings, then you need to be under a federal regulator.

I have a hard time believing that there's not a substantial risk with bringing in those big retailers. For years we've been told that this companies fraud rate is so very very small. Ebay engaged in risk taking for a decade by turning a blind eye with the fraud that was rampant. If that is coming to a head now and your expansion beyond ebay, that's your problem. Small businesses are not here to subsidize big corporations who get lots of tax perks.

I wonder what Robert Reich would think about what you're doing John Donahoe. I wonder what Barney Frank or President Obama would think about what you're doing to small businesses. Having the working class supporting fat cats. Just because you're on the west coast doesn't mean you're not part of Wall Street with your payment system.

Are we your piggy bank, are we giving another corporation a bail out?

by: Raia

Tue Jan 26 19:30:11 2010

Sad... ebay hasn't *earned* their fees for about the last 5 years. They are supposed to be servicing their customers... the sellers.

Instead, service -- in every form you can imagine -- becomes worse and worse, yet fees go up and up... how do they figure? How do they justify those fee hikes?

Back when ebay was a fun place -- for both buyers and sellers (and all of us were both, right?) -- we never minded paying fees for a service that was provided.

However, once someone in the service industry discontinues providing the service for which they advertise and charge you for, it's clearly time to find another service provider.

I left ebay about 2 1/2 years ago and it was the best move I've ever made.

Oh sure, it was tough at first, but just like starting *any* new business, you have to hustle your tush off.

Again, it's not the fee hikes that upset sellers, it's what they're getting for those fees...

In the case of ebay, that would be *nothing*........ unless you count grief and insurmountable stress.

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Tue Jan 26 19:32:37 2010

As most eBayer stores sellers are paying the $15.95 per month, that's where eBay charges the most.  For insertion fees, currently I'm paying around $7 per month total for my 150 items, later I'll be paying $30, this is liked a 4 to 5 times more higher than before, that's a crazy fee increase!

by: ZZTopshlf

Tue Jan 26 19:39:47 2010

@fruity

Don't be expecting the messiah and his friends to come running to your defense.

hp?az=view_all&address=403x1088

Obama
nominated JD's wife to be an ambassador.

new-us-ambassador-to-un-in-geneva-a-major-obama-fundraiser/

How's
that for change you can believe in?

by: Fruity

Tue Jan 26 19:45:49 2010

Seems to me JohnD onahoe and his ebay is a religion, I love all my children statements sound more like he thinks he's the messiah.

I highly doubt any diminishing of small business any politician can afford to ignore. the key is how to bring our plight.. to the light! ola!

by: WhoGoesWhere

Tue Jan 26 19:47:08 2010

Up to 100 auction listings per month starting at 99¢ or less for FREE?

I've got literally tons of useless cr@p to get rid of.

by: eBay seller

Tue Jan 26 19:52:54 2010

I received an email earlier today from eBay telling me this great news:

"The upfront cost of selling on eBay is about to be dramatically reduced with our lowest Insertion Fees ever. I wanted to personally let you know about this exciting change and how it can help your business in particular."

As I posted here earlier today:

"To keep my store at the current level of inventory, the total of insertion fees plus store subscription will be jumping.  If I keep the Basic Store, my combined Sub/Insert Fees will INCREASE by 337% ($38 to $166 per month).  If I upgrade to the Premium Store, my fees ONLY INCREASE by 129% ($38 to $87).  The net cost per year would either be $588 or $1536."

I am having a hard time seeing how this has reduced my up front selling cost!  If I keep my listings at the current listing, it's going to cost me MORE before any sale is made -- period!  The only question I have is whether or not the increased exposure will result in increased sales that will make the higher up front cost worthwhile.

It's this type of double-speak from eBay that drives me crazy and makes it difficult to look at my selling plans on eBay in any unemotional perspective.  I mean I am trying to determine how I am going to work within the new eBay policies/structure, but then they have to send me this crud.  It does nothing to help with the poor opinion that many sellers have of eBay's management and policies.

eBay - Stop the double-speak and just let us sellers determine what we need to do!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  [Next Page]