Tue Jan 26 2010 08:14:29

eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

As anticipated, eBay will eliminate its Store Inventory format and has introduced a new pricing structure effective March 30, 2010. There will be one Fixed Price format on eBay - listings in the current Stores Inventory Format will automatically become regular Fixed Price listings with the same duration and appear with all other Fixed Price listings in eBay search results.

eBay will also extend the multi-variation listing feature to more categories - this allows sellers to list multiple variations of a product, including color and size, in one listing.

Sellers may no longer use the PowerSeller icon or references to the PowerSeller designation in listing templates, listing descriptions, About Me pages, or Stores pages.

Some initial thoughts:
With the new eBay Stores pricing, it's much more expensive to list in Stores format for low-volume sellers - you pay the same $15.95/month subscription fee, but rather than paying as low as 3 cents to list, you must pay a 20-cent insertion fee. However, your listings appear in Core search results.

An option would be to pay a higher monthly subscription fee - almost $50, and get insertion fees of 5 cents. eBay says this works for sellers who list over 250 items per month.

A lot of news to digest here, let's hear your comments!

Fee Changes
- No Insertion Fees for Auction-style listings when you list your item with a start price under $1—up to 100 listings per month. Pay only if your item sells.

- New low Insertion Fees when you list your item with a start price of $1 or more

- One easy Final Value Fee of 9% of the winning bid—and never more than $50—regardless of your start price or final selling price.

- 50-cent Insertion Fee for Fixed Price with Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same.

eBay will also introduce new fees for its Stores.
BASIC: 20¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $15.95/month - Consider a Basic Store if you list more than 50 Fixed Price or Auction-style items a month. It's a great starter package if you plan to start an eBay business or ramp up your selling.

PREMIUM: 5¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $49.95/month - Great choice for higher volume sellers (more than 250 items per month) and sellers listing in both Auction-style and Fixed Price formats.

ANCHOR: 3¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $299.95/month - Get the same great deal as the old Store Inventory format-now with full exposure in search results! With an Anchor Store subscription, higher volume sellers get top savings and the lowest package rates on eBay.

NOTE: Starting in March, meeting the new minimum performance standard for all sellers will be a requirement for Premium and Anchor subscribers. ("Above Standard.")

- Insertion Fees as low as 3¢ for Fixed Price listings with full exposure in search results

- Fixed Price Final Value Fees for the most part staying the same

- New low Auction-style Insertion Fees

- Auction-style Final Value Fees significantly reduced over the new standard rate

- FREE pictures—up to 12 per listing

- FREE Selling Manager Pro with Premium and Anchor subscriptions

- Plus all the other great marketing tools you get with an eBay Stores subscription, including your own customizable store front and Markdown Manager.

New PowerSeller discounts and seller requirements coming in mid-April - the new PowerSeller requirements (originally announced in July 2009) will be in effect for all PowerSellers, not just Top-rated sellers. And with the new PowerSeller discount schedule (also announced in July), only eBay Top-rated sellers will receive 20% fee discounts. All other PowerSellers will receive 5% discounts. PowerSellers will see this change reflected on their statements starting May 1, 2010.

Here's a link to eBay's overview page.

Perminate Link for eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format   eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 11:55:56 2010

David, I dont think we need Ebay stink who is in ebay corporate public relations to come to your site and make statements. If they want to make a statement they should do it in an official press release. And not confuse or try to affect the auctionbytes readers.

He wants to have the conversation controlled, He's got something to say well then he can put it on print with an official announcement or his own blog entry where he can be held accountable for it on behalf of ebay.

by: gotta love it

Tue Jan 26 11:58:44 2010

They should just rename the site cHanges.

Look at the bright side people it will only cost you $15 extra a month to get a discounted fixed price rate. So you better stock up on that inventory now to make it worthwhile. WINK WINK

I can't wait for the announcement of the next set of changes. I know they should replace the daily deal with the daily change. One change per day is good for hygiene.

by: Bookbatches

Tue Jan 26 12:01:43 2010

I just inserted all the new fees into the NASA primary data base and they coincide directly with the re-entry path of the Apollo 13 spacecraft! That vehicle was held together with duct tape also. Good flick, but Johnny Donahoe is no Tom Hanks.

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 12:02:23 2010

John Donahoe what Meg Whitman felt in 10 years you are going to get all the anger from small business sellers in a condensed version.

by: RBH

Tue Jan 26 12:03:08 2010

@fruity
If I see a question and I can answer it, I'm happy to answer.

I'm not trying to "control the conversation." Just want to make sure the news is distributed to all. How one reacts to the news is up to the individual.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion once that news is shared. Name calling included.

Cheers,
RBH

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 12:09:03 2010

wonk wonk
Would anyone expect you to actually say You are trying controlling the conversation. If you think people are going to take you at face value you're sadly mistaken

oxymoron to hear an ebay employee say that people are entitled to their own opinion on news. I mean you in fact censor your own blog regularly and ebay censors commentary all the time. You can spew that BS all you want, but you ain't fooling me.

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 12:15:33 2010

Hey Ina, I read the ebay announcement and I noticed when they described the store subscription tiers that only on the anchor $300 a month store did they talk about exposure
"ANCHOR: 3¢ Fixed Price Insertion Fees, $299.95/month Get the same great deal as the old Store Inventory format-now with full exposure in search results!"

e2010.html

by: Judy

Tue Jan 26 12:16:55 2010

I have supported eBay through all of their changes, but this will probably do me in.  I am a top rated seller and powerseller with almost 5,000 FB.  I guess it was time to put more work into my website anyway.

by: 635609

Tue Jan 26 12:17:35 2010

OK
People keep saying it will increase their sales and exposures to have their store listings show up in core. How? You do understand that everyone elses listing will show up there too. Supply and demand. All it will do is lower your selling price.

The sellers that should really be upset are those that currently only sell in fixed price because they saw they had increased sales by paying more and moving out of the store format. Due to many others who weren't willing to pay extra for exposure. A win-win. Now you are not only still paying more, but will not have any increased benefit due to everyone being forced out of stores. Now they all will be  competing against YOU.

It was a good business model to list in fixed priced core. Now its not, there is no added value just added price. Supply and demand. All you will see is supply up...prices down. PRICES WAY DOWN.

This is the only goal eBay has get the price that items sell for as far down as you can. Then the sale is made on eBay. Otherwise it goes to the competition.

This and free dollar auctions. Can't you see the big picture ?

by: ZZTopshlf

Tue Jan 26 12:19:09 2010

@fruity

They say ''full search'' exposure for all on this page where they are trying to get you to sign up.

tion.html

Can't
blame you though for thinking what you were, especially with ebay.  ;)

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 12:21:41 2010

I've been working on my website so I will be able to disconnect real quick. I think we need to get ourselves a get out of dodge networking group. Maybe we can all start meeting up at the auctionbytes forum and that way share info on how to set up a site quickly, learn together.

Oh and for those website developers and service providers who suddenly start degrading services, I already have a complaint ready for that too and a list. lol

by: RBH

Tue Jan 26 12:24:41 2010

@ Ed Gadfly
Hi Ed. This announcement does not change how items are displayed in Google.

eBay will continue to send fixed-priced items and stores listings to Google for increased search visibility.

Cheers,
RBH

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 12:24:58 2010

ZZ do you think there's a difference or planned difference between "full search" and "full exposure"

by: Eliott Wolbrom

Tue Jan 26 12:26:35 2010

I've been an avid eBay user (both seller and buyer) and currently run my midsize companies eBay store. As a Top Rated Seller with 35,000 feedback and roughly 3000 listings (not diamond), and after disecting these changes for the past 2 hours as well as speaking to some people at eBay - I'd have to say that these changes are not that bad. I understand they do somewhat sqaush the smaller - much smaller - seller on eBay, but for anyone here who runs a normal eBay store and considers eBay a piece of the pie, I don't believe you need to worry too much. Anchor Stores ($299.95) are a complete waste of money as you save $.02 cents per listing but they make it up on FVF, so if you are like me - and run a midsize to large eBay store -just pay the $50.00 for the Premium store (chances are you were paying for a premium anyway), pay the $0.05 a listing which is $0.30 LESS than before, and you will ultimately have to pay 1/2 of a percent more. Less of an investment up front and a slightly higher fee on the sold part of things.

Guys, I knock eBay like all of you - but calm down. For those who are surviving by selling on eBay it means you are selling a substantial amount which in turn means this shouldn't hurt too much.

Contact me for some help if you'd like.

Eliott W.

by: My Own Website Not Quite Paying My Bills Yet

Tue Jan 26 12:37:24 2010

It's typical that the Ebay press release makes it sounds like Ebay is doing something good. I'm just waiting for CNBC to announce that "Ebay will be paying people to list items" but forget to tell that them Ebay will charge for every page you view.

This user has validated their user name. by: David Steiner

Tue Jan 26 12:38:51 2010

@Fruity,

RBH is more than welcome to answer questions here. eBay spokespersons have always been welcome in this forum to address issues, and as long as they're identified as such, our policy hasn't changed.

David

by: Carl G.

Tue Jan 26 12:39:34 2010

In retrospect...and I am a user of the fixed price format who has closed their store after 9 years...

this is a 30 percent increase in listing fees with no redress as to ebay's relationship with google...

they did not say one word about that!!!

by: fruity

Tue Jan 26 12:43:38 2010

Oh I didn't know you had a policy about it. But I do question it

by:

Tue Jan 26 12:46:18 2010

Is someone worried about noise or something? For ebay to have the oinkblog author here seems telling.

Too bad ebay wanted to rob lie cheat and disrespect everyone, all while smiling and lying to their faces.

The site is still a slow overbloated piece of garbage. They still haven't corrected any of the underlying problems. like proper registration, limiting # of user accounts... Security, fakes counterfeits, bootlegs and on and on...
Did I forget to mention paid shills, fruitcakes and filthy, psychotic stalkers badgering anyone who speaks ill, anywhere, of the almighty scambay?

Hmmm. I think I might just go sign up a few fake accounts and let the sport bidding, NPBs, vero bombing and star dinging fly!

Besides that I also always let everyone irl know how ebay is fully supporting organized crime, which they get a huge amount of profits from, by lobbying against the crime bills.

I'm lovin' it.

by: Jimbo

Tue Jan 26 12:49:17 2010

I list in auction almost exclusively. Most my items sell between $50 and $150. After looking at the numbers my fees are going to rise to a gougingly ridiculous level.

At $75 selling price the fees will rise from $3.94 to $6.75 or a 41% increase.
At $100 selling price the fees will rise from $4.82 to $9.00 or a 46% increase.
At $150 selling price the fees will rise from $6.57 to $13.50 or over double the fees.
But at least the $50 cap kicks in at a selling price around $556.

And what does eBay say about the new structure?

In regards to auctions …

“The new eBay standard rates are perfect if you sell occasionally.”

Perfect for eBay that is. In my case the fees are going to go up, way up. Occasional is what I will become. I used to have monthly eBay fees in the range of $500, now $100 or less, soon as little as possible. It is unfortunate that a lot of my items are best sold on eBay. I hate giving eBay any of my money.

And this gem from the announcement …

“Whether you’re running a business or selling to earn extra cash, choose from a range of options designed to make your selling easier and more profitable”

Profitable? How can the new over the top greedy fee increase make my items more profitable? They are offering much less traffic, lower selling prices and monstrously higher fees, yeah that’s going to work out great for me. Thanks Donuthole. God I’d love to meet you in person. I have a few choice words for you. I can also show you first hand the hurt you have caused hard working Americans.

It is obvious that eBay does not want auctions anymore and also does not seem to want stores either. They are just too gutless to come right out and say so.

All they will get with this new structure are millions of low priced crap items clogging up the site. I guess this is what they want. Pathetic.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  [Next Page]