728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   
  Email    NewsFlash RSS    Twitter      Web Site  

Default Chocolate Pot vs Coffee Pot

I need some help with understanding the difference between a coffee pot and a chocolate pot. As usual, I admit to being rather lost on some of the more specialized items. SMILE... a coffee pot is a sunbeam drip with glass carafe....

No seriously, is it the shape of the handles? Height? I suspect this is like the sweet meat dish vs lemon plate saga... LOL

Anyway, found this kinda nice "something" set. Also, at same sale found this other creamer? that was marked made in Ireland... and some carrigaline dishes that coordinate. Really think they are all rather a "marriage" rather than any kind of original set.

The pot is about 8.5" high.
    Love to learn the difference between the "pots"
    Any help or info on mine would be appreciated. Think they are all made in the Irish Republic??
    Thanks,
    Brandy
    p.s. sorry for bad photos

Don't know why but I defintiely think the top one is a choc pot.

maybe because the spout exits from the bottom of the pot, rather than the top?

teapot spout exits at top, away from tea leaves, traditionally

I might be onto something here.....

come to think of it, hot water pots usually the spout exited from the bottom. In britain a tea pot would often come with an extra hot water pot, which would look like your brown one at the top.

Bill, help me here. I am floundering!!
    Susan H

You know, I think I may be talking nonsense!

lol
    Susan H

Brandy..that's a coffee pot. I believe chocolate pots are much older & generally tall & slender.

Sue..what have you been smoking?

I see those striped dishes from Ireland all the time but never pick them up. Is there a market for them?

Coffee pots usually have a long thin spout like your first one.

As Sandra said Chocolate pots usually date to around the turn of the century, a little before. They are tall, thin, and a short little spout that looks more like a triangular piece pullled out from the body. Closer to the spout on a pitcher then what you find on a tea or coffee pot.

Lou

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Coffee pots usually have a long thin spout like your first one.

As Sandra said Chocolate pots usually date to around the turn of the century, a little before. They are tall, thin, and a short little spout that looks more like a triangular piece pullled out from the body. Closer to the spout on a pitcher then what you find on a tea or coffee pot.

Lou
    What Lou says.............well most of it anyway

Coffee pots have an elongated spout eminating from the side.
    Chocolate pots have a pouring lip similar to cream jugs and pitchers.

Chocolate pots are quite often, maybe even more often over here, called Hot Water Jugs and Shelley were making them in Queen Anne Shape (Not introduced until 192 and they accompanied Tea sets and were intended for topping up the Teapots.

Coffee Pots and Chocolate/hot water Pots are usually tall and slender! Teapots are squat, flatter, more bulbous.

Bill.

7. Default

It's okay Sue. I think sometimes we all talk nonsense.

We call it around my house having "senior moments"

You hang in there. Ok

The other day I poured myself a cup of coffee and then reached in my fridge and got my pitcher of cold tea and proceeded to pour away into my coffee. I thought I had my cream pitcher.

Right now here in Willis, Texas we are having Astros Fever.
    http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp...x.jsp?c_id=hou

We are being instructed to not wear white socks because we are playing the Chicago White Sox team.

GO ASTROS..............