PDA

View Full Version : Difference Between a Bookseller and a Book dealer?

booksfillmylife
11-01-2003, 09:40 AM
How would most of you classify yourself, and is there a difference?

BFML

Robnzak
11-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Bookseller. Book dealer. The titles basically describe the same profession and are easily intertwined with similar practice and goals, yet do have (at least in my mind) differences.

I think of book dealers as those who have a high knowledge of the book world, have huge resources at their disposal, contacts, years of experience, and tend to work at the high end market. They have a great love of books.

Book sellers, may have the same qualities, but not usually. They are out for the all mighty dollar. They look at books as nothing more than a commodity- roll em in, shove em out. They're after volume sales and in many cases, price is not a consideration.

These are general thoughts and folks here most likely blend into a mix of the two.

Myself? Selling books pays the mortgage. I depend on book sales for my survival, so I prefer a third, not mentioned title...book whore.

Robbo

Edith
11-01-2003, 11:48 AM
I don't think it much matters what term you use to describe yourself; what matters most is how you conduct yourself in business. Whether you call yourself a book dealer, seller, broker, whore, or princess as I like to think of myself at times (ha ha); the bottom line is how you treat customers, how fair you are with pricing, and how seriously you take your enterprise.

Robnzak
11-01-2003, 12:39 PM
Your are right about the importance of how we conduct our business, Princess, but wouldn't you tend to agree that there are differences as I described above regarding the two 'titles' above?

I would consider you a dealer. You have the experience, belong to respected 'book' organizations and have a valued reputation.

When I see someone on amazon for example that lists 32,000 remainders, I don't think dealer, I think seller. I believe there is a distinct difference and I wouldn't even consider them when looking for something to add to my personal collection, I'd search for someone like you.

R~

justonce
11-01-2003, 01:46 PM
Hello.....My distinction between a book seller and a book dealer is more in the nature of how the purveyor perceives books......a dealer recognizes qualities in a book as to both condition and content for their own sake and a seller only for the hype factor. Also there is what I call the fondle factor.

I think that dealers just love to handle, check out, look over, even embrace a beautiful book or even a very nice one, or even one that has seen better days. The only time a seller handles a book is to see what may or may not be wrong with it, define it and then pack it to send. I also think that dealers have stacks and stack of odd sized, colored, and interesting books sitting around in their environment. Book sellers have things like boxes, sorting areas and miles and miles of sometimes empty shelves.....no self-respecting dealer would ever have an empty book shelf.

And a dealer buys books on the hunt or one at a time, can sniff out an interesting book and a seller will buy in bulk from nearly any source and the price bears no relationship to anything except the cost and profit potential.

What do you think? Best, Franci

booksfillmylife
11-01-2003, 02:24 PM
LOL. I like that.

Book sellers have things like boxes, sorting areas and miles and miles of sometimes empty shelves.....no self-respecting dealer would ever have an empty book shelf.

Best, Franci[/quote]

booksfillmylife
11-01-2003, 02:26 PM
Edith, is the Bookologist Forum still active? I went there a couple time and it seems as if one can't post to that.

BFML

I don't think it much matters what term you use to describe yourself; what matters most is how you conduct yourself in business. Whether you call yourself a book dealer, seller, broker, whore, or princess as I like to think of myself at times (ha ha); the bottom line is how you treat customers, how fair you are with pricing, and how seriously you take your enterprise.

booksfillmylife
11-01-2003, 02:27 PM
I would love to become a dealer. That is my goal.

However, since I am a newbie, I don't expect to get there without much study and mentorship.

The problem is, I think this could be solitary profession since I am working at home and I'm not sure how to become part of organizations that don't cost an arm and a leg and strict scrutiny to join.

BFML

Your are right about the importance of how we conduct our business, Princess, but wouldn't you tend to agree that there are differences as I described above regarding the two 'titles' above?

I would consider you a dealer. You have the experience, belong to respected 'book' organizations and have a valued reputation.

When I see someone on amazon for example that lists 32,000 remainders, I don't think dealer, I think seller. I believe there is a distinct difference and I wouldn't even consider them when looking for something to add to my personal collection, I'd search for someone like you.

R~