PDA

View Full Version : Jewel Tea Dishes value?

wiseacresart
10-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi

I am working on closing out my mothers estate and there is a complete set of the old Jewel Tea Dishes that we are wondering on an approx. value. My sister and I are thinking of putting a minium bid for the action and if not sold, list them on Ebay.

So, I don't have pictures right now as they are at the house 100 miles away, but there are at least 12 plates, cups, saucers, sugar bowel, creamer and serving bowls. I think there was a view other pieces as I remember my mother purchasing about everything at the time as she bought from Jewel Tea every time he came. The dishes are like new. They are not chipped, cracked or scatched up. She rarely used them.

What would you estimate a value on them or another way of putting it, what would be a minium bid at the estate auction. If we do that and they do not sell, is it a good idea to list them on Ebay.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I know nothing about antiques.

Mark

SandysFancyPants
10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Hope this helps. Don't be so fast to sell this lot. Many, many collectors of this. :lol:
http://www.inter-services.com/HallChina/
http://www.inter-services.com/HallChina/shopping.html

Lou
10-11-2005, 05:54 PM
While the pattern most people think of when Jewel Tea is mentioned is the Hall Autumn Leaf pattern, there were other patterns produced for Jewel Tea. Hall China produced 2 other patterns for Jewel Tea. Autumn Leaf is the most popular of the Hall patterns made for Jewel Tea.

Haviland & Co, also made a pattern called Autumn Leaf and ALSO distributed by Jewel Tea.

The site Sandy linked to has a history of Jewel Tea which mentions the other patterns.

http://www.inter-services.com/HallChina/jthistory.html

Lou

wiseacresart
10-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks to both of your replies. I remember the dishes and the pattern is the most common one Hall Autumn Leaf. I have seen them in several antique stores as we have been out looking around over time.

I did look at the sites and they did help to ID the pattern.

Any one have a suggest value we should set as a minium auction price? I do know there are collectors and we could sell it piece meal, but it would be great if we could get rid of it as a lot and be done with it so the lawyer can finish the estate rather than wait for selling them piece meal on auction etc.

We are not looking to get very top dollar, but we also do not want to have someone steal them with a low bid. I know dealers need a profit margin which is fine.

Thanks again.
Mark

SandysFancyPants
10-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Hello Mark, Did you not see the link to sell your items? It is on the second link I put. I am not sure but I would think a collector would be thrilled and if you put about the lot you may get a bidding war of sorts. You may want to go to www.replacements.com to see top dollar for the items. My best to you and yours. Sandy

uphoosier
10-11-2005, 11:28 PM
Some individual pieces are quite rare and command prices many times above what a plate or a tea cup would sell for. Persue the idea of selling to collectors, especially if the dishes are in excellent condition. If the estate auction is well advertised and the Jewel Tea is mentioned in the advertisement, you should do as well with the live auction as you would on Ebay.