PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning silver with Tide

uphoosier
09-08-2004, 01:28 AM
Don't bite my head off, but I had to pass this along. I watched a BBC show today about cleaning a filthy house (of course, an American home). The put Tide powdered laundry soap in hot water then dipped Sterling in it. A short soak, a gentle wipe , rinse and dry and it looked like someone rubbed it with Wright's fpr a week. They said to only do this with Sterling. I've read the thread on cleaning silver and know the damage Tarn-x can do. This was a new one on me.

BURIED TREASURES
09-08-2004, 08:31 AM
Did they also have a piece of aluminum foil in the water? This sounds suspiciously like the dreaded Soda/hotwater/metalplate combination I HATE so very much. It is best to avoid these "easy" methods as your silver deserves better care than that. You will never get the beauty from your silver with any other method than a little silver polish and a soft cloth or applicator. Sincerely, John Leckrone John@hopkinsvilleantiques.com

uphoosier
09-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Nope, no foil. Any idea why you can do this with sterling and not plate? Seems like it must remove some silver if you shouldn't do it on plate.

BURIED TREASURES
09-10-2004, 10:49 AM
I WAS RIGHT!!!! I suspect that you missed the part where they put in the aluminum foil OR they were using an aluminum sink. I did a search on google and came up with this video http://www.lifetimetv.com/shows/clean/video/cleaning_tips.html Choose the one that reads Kim reveals a shortcut to cleaning and polishing silver by using Tide detergent.

So yes folks, if you want to destroy your silver by using this method you are welcome to do so. Should you choose this method though you do so at your own peril. Please do not blame me as you have been warned. There is only ONE method to clean sterling silver and silverplate flatware and holloware. That is the tried and true method of using a liquid or paste polish. DO NOT use instant dips ie. tarnex and DO NOT use TIDE to clean your silver or any other soda with hot water and a metal plate or aluminum foil combination.

By loving your silver and taking proper care of it it will love you right back and will shine like new. Your silver deserves a little care and the quickest and easiest way to clean your silver is simple. Shine it ONCE and then USE IT AT EVERY MEAL and wash it properly because when you do this you not only wash away the food residue but also the impurities in the air that cause tarnish in the first place. I have spoken to COUNTLESS housewives who for 50 YEARS have never once shined their silver and it looks as great as the day they first bought it all because they used it on a daily basis and cared for it properly. Sincerely, John Leckrone John@hopkinsvilleantiques.com

P.S. Uphoosier, please don't take this post personally because it WAS NOT directed at you. I just get very annoyed at these "experts" and it is a reflex of mine to be extremely critical of them. I HATE incompetence and laziness when they are seperate. Combine these two traits and you REALLY have a problem!

uphoosier
09-10-2004, 02:31 PM
John,
No offense taken. I only brought it up on this forum because I respect your knowledge and knew I'd get a straight answer. At the same time, you can't blame a guy for trying to find a way to clean tarnished silver- it is a chore I really hate!

Ken

BURIED TREASURES
09-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Hi Ken,
I often do it while watching tv or listening to the radio and believe me, when I am shining silver it is almost always more than a few pieces. Just when you thing there is no more silver to shine.....

When it comes to holloware or other big pieces one of the things you can do to make cleaning silver go a little faster is to make your applicator a little damp so that the silver polish goes on quicker. This is a very messy way of doing things but one I use often when I have a piece of holloware that I have already shined once and because it tarnished a little before I sold it had to shine it again. I clean the silver in the bathtub (no I am not taking a bath with it) and then rinse out the silver and the tub after I am finished. This method will not work quite as well if the holloware has heavy tarnish as the water does dilute the silver polish to a certain extent. Hope this tidbit helped. Sincerely, John Leckrone John@hopkinsvilleantiques.com