Online Fraud Resource Center
We hope that by educating
people about fraud, we can make Cyberspace a safer place to do business.
wire transfer money to people you don't know, including people you
"met" on an auction site or someone who "hires" you from overseas. See
Western Union's Web site FAQs about Consumer Fraud:
"What to Do If You Are Ripped Off Online"
1) File a complaint with eBay.
2) File a complaint with the FTC
3) File a complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint
4) Contact law-enforcement officials at the local and
state level (your local and state police departments)
5) Also contact law-enforcement officials in the
perpetrator's town & state
6) File a complaint with the shipper USPS http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect
7) File a complaint with the National Fraud Information
8) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau http://www.bbb.org
Auction Fraud Resources
National Fraud Information Center
Crimes & Misdemeanors: Outmaneuvering the Spammers, Swindlers, and
Stalkers Who Are Targeting You Online"
Book by J.A. Hitchcock, edited by Loraine Page
2002 CyberAge Books (Information Today Inc.)
Identity Theft Resources
Mari Frank's Site on Identity Theft (for-profit site)
FTC Consumer Information on Identity Theft
Hoax Emails/Phishing Scams
AuctionBytes Article "Auction Users: Beware Hoax Emails"
IRS Fraud Resources
Associated Press Article
|Some EcommerceBytes Articles about Fraud
Online Auction Fraud: What You Should Know
Online Escrow Fraud Hits eBay Members
eBay Auction Fraud Spawns Vigilantism Trend
"Hoax eMails Continue to Plague eBay Users":
eBay Fraud Update: 285 Victims Report Losing $60,000
Jobseekers: Beware New eBay Scam
EcommerceBytes has been helping online-auction buyers and
sellers since 1999. Steiner Associates LLC, a privately held company in
Natick, Massachusetts, was founded by David Steiner in 1988 as a video
production company. In 1999, Steiner Associates LLC introduced
ecommercebytes.com, the Buyers and Sellers Guide to Online Auctions. In
2011, AuctionBytes was renamed EcommerceBytes.
To subscribe, go here: