Online Fraud Resource Center
We hope that by educating people about fraud, we
can make Cyberspace a safer place to do business.
Do not wire transfer money to
people you don't know, including people you "met" on an auction site or someone
who "hires" you from overseas. See Western Union's Web site FAQs about Consumer
"What to Do If You Are Ripped Off Online"
1) File a complaint with eBay File a report
immediately with eBay Rules & Safety: http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html.
In order to be considered for eBay's Fraud Protection Program, you should also submit an
Online Fraud Complaint at http://crs.ebay.com/aw-cgi/ebayisapi.dll?crsstartpage
30 days after the listing end-date.
2) File a complaint with the FTC
3) File a complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center http://www.ic3.gov/
4) Contact law-enforcement officials at the local and state level (your local and
state police departments)
5) Also contact law-enforcement officials in the perpetrator's town & state
6) File a complaint with the shipper USPS http://www.usps.com/websites/depart/inspect
7) File a complaint with the National Fraud Information Center http://www.fraud.org/info/contactnfic.htm
8) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau http://www.bbb.org
Auction Fraud Resources
National Fraud Information Center
Escrow Fraud Tips
Crimes & Misdemeanors: Outmaneuvering the Spammers, Swindlers, and Stalkers Who Are
Targeting You Online"
Book by J.A. Hitchcock, edited by Loraine Page
2002 CyberAge Books (Information Today Inc.)
Identity Theft Resources
Mari Frank's Site on Identity Theft (for-profit site)
Identity Theft Resource Center
Hoax Emails/Phishing Scams
AuctionBytes Article "Auction Users: Beware Hoax Emails"
IRS Fraud Resources
Anti-Phishing Working Group
Associated Press Article
EcommerceBytes Fraud Forum
EcommerceBytes Articles about Fraud
Online Auction Fraud: What You Should Know
Online Escrow Fraud Hits eBay Members
eBay Auction Fraud Spawns Vigilantism Trend
"Hoax eMails Continue to Plague eBay Users":
eBay Fraud Update: 285 Victims Report Losing $60,000
Jobseekers: Beware New eBay Scam
EcommerceBytes has been helping online-auction buyers and sellers since 1999. Steiner
Associates LLC, a privately held company in Natick, Massachusetts, was founded by David
Steiner in 1988 as a video production company. In 1999, Steiner Associates LLC introduced
ecommercebytes.com, the Buyers and Sellers Guide to Online Auctions. In 2011, AuctionBytes
was renamed EcommerceBytes.
To subscribe, go here: