Want to Chat with Etsy? Marketplace Surveys Users on Possible Topics
By Ina Steiner
Online marketplace Etsy is surveying users to find out what they wish to discuss with administrators in future Q&A chat sessions. Etsy CTO Kellan Elliot-McCrea had explained in a discussion thread on November 15th that the company spent a lot of time thinking about how it could do a better job of communicating with users from both a quality and frequency perspective.
Elliot-McCrea said Etsy would hold regular Town Hall meetings where the company would share with users "what we're working on and some of what is coming down the pike," but, he said, "We're also thinking about ways to talk with you all more regularly."
In announcing the survey on Friday, Etsy administrator Bernadette Sweeney, who manages one of the teams that interacts with Etsy members on a daily basis, said it was her job "to make sure Etsy Admin and Etsy members have a chance to connect in many different ways, be it in online or in person."
The survey asks users to vote on which topics they'd like to see covered in Q&A sessions with Etsy staff:
Which of these topics do you most want to learn about and discuss?
- Around the World with Etsy. Everything you want to know about International including translations, international marketing and shopping behaviors in other countries.
- Ship Shape: Chat with the team that manages all things shipping on Etsy.
- How do I get featured? Chat with our merchandising team about how to get noticed by Etsy curators and the press.
- Behind the scenes at Etsy’s headquarters. Chat with some of the teams that make Etsy special including our B Corp team and our facilities team.
- I don’t have time! Chat with the experts on our Seller Development team who can give you tips to improve your shop and help you save time.
- Money, Money Money: Chat with the teams that handle Payments, Billing and Direct Checkout.
- Think like a buyer: Learn about buyer behavior and the impact it may have on setting up your shop.
- What happens when I flag an item? Chat with our Marketplace Integrity team about how we handle policy violations.
Sweeney explained in her post that Etsy wanted to increase the contact users had with Etsy Admin and the survey would help it learn how best to talk with users more regularly and in a more meaningful way. The eight topics relate to new tools and products for sellers' businesses; business training; Etsy internal operations; and, "some are just fun," she wrote.
The survey, which will remain open until December 2, 2013, will help Etsy prioritize the topics it will cover in Q&A sessions in the first quarter of 2014. "Once we have a prioritized list based on your feedback, we'll schedule weekly Q&As, and we’ll announce the schedule in advance so you can save the date for your favorite topics."
About the author:
Ina Steiner is co-founder and Editor of EcommerceBytes and has been reporting on ecommerce since 1999. She's a widely cited authority on marketplace selling and is author of "Turn eBay Data Into Dollars" (McGraw-Hill 2006). Her blog was featured in the book, "Blogging Heroes" (Wiley 2008). Follow her on Twitter at @ecommercebytes and send news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may quote up to 50 words of any article on the condition that you attribute the article to EcommerceBytes.com and either link to the original article or to www.EcommerceBytes.com.
All other use is prohibited.