Tue Jan 19 2021 11:30:02

Seller Loses Postal Claim Despite Photo of Mangled Boxes

By: Reader

Here's a new one. I recently submitted two USPS claims for damaged items in the evening on 11/27 complete with pictures of mangled boxes. I received a letter today for both claims stating "Your claim has been denied because we did not receive the information requested in our previous correspondence within 30 days."

Not only did I never receive any such previous correspondence, looking at the dates, for thirty days to have elapsed, they would have had to review the claim within three days over a weekend, a clearly ridiculous proposition. This is straight up fraud on the part of USPS.

I've appealed the claim and they give you exactly 255 characters to explain all that. I did my best but I'm not holding my breath.
Jeff

Perminate Link for Seller Loses Postal Claim Despite Photo of Mangled   Seller Loses Postal Claim Despite Photo of Mangled

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jan 19 17:15:17 2021

@Jeff - You should send an e-mail to every one of the Board of Governors. You an find their e-mail addresses here:

s-board-of-governors-would-like-to-hear-from-you/

by: ShortSeller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 19 20:15:03 2021

Typical fraud from USPS. They have been doing the same thing with bonus claims for underpaid postage. You would have thought a bunch of taxpayer bailouts would be ennough but that is USPS for you.

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 19 21:09:26 2021

USPS = Suck.  I told you that many times!

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 21 00:31:45 2021

That's why I've been using Shipsurance with PirateShip on all shipments and have never had any issues yet.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 21 10:34:45 2021

I worked at USPS for 30 years many in management. I also have sold on eBay now 23 years. So I know what's what. Postal insurance is a useless scam. 99% will be either denied or ignored. Don't ever bother. UPS pays claims under 100 easy but over 100 almost always denied for improper box. The best insurance right now believe it or not is eBay "Ship Cover". They approved a claim of parcel lost in China way past 90 days when eBay had dropped it off their page but I got paid anyways.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 21 13:42:59 2021

@Jeff, it sounds like you are working over the internet . Maybe this is forced on us, the last claim I filed for anything was several years ago and it was in writing through the mail.  USPS lost an item for me so I requested a search (which as it turns out was really a joke - they did nothing as far as I could tell except lay the blame on the postmaster at the recipient's post office - of course the package disappeared somewhere in between!) No time period was specified as to how long the search would require - I worked directly with the postmaster and when I got no response I finally asked for an explanation; told the item was missing/gone/search found nothing.

Accordingly I filed an insurance claim, which was immediately denied because I waited more than 30 days to file it.  I mailed back an appeal complete with printed proof documents, and they paid my claim. Whoever got the initial email just looked at the filing date and rubber stamped DENIED - absolutely no interest to the fact that a search had been requested and done, which of course took more than 30 days.

I do not know what the policy is now. I wrote back that it was beyond belief they would deny a follow-up insurance claim when there was no time frame in which their own search had to be completed.

That you never received the request they supposedly sent for further information (so of course you did not send it), may be hard to prove. Personally - I would speak with my postmaster and keep fighting denials. But then we have the best guy in the world here, one of the folks that treats customers the way he would like to be treated himself.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Fri Jan 22 09:56:16 2021

I have had very similar experiences. USPS responds to an insurance claim with a series of back-and-forth letters, each stating a new, completely ridiculous reason for denying the claim. It's so rampant, there should be a class action lawsuit.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Fri Jan 22 15:25:42 2021

I have been burned by USPS claims several times where they were WHOLLY at fault. I won't rehash the details here as I have previously detailed those losses in earlier posts. It is all good now as I have ordered hundreds and hundreds of free USPS padded envelopes over the years to use as cushioning in my first class shipments. A transactional wash.

by: margo This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 26 00:37:52 2021

Also what usps is doing is having the buyer to bring in the damaged item to the post office. Since ebay refunds the buyer most buyers are not going to take the time to do that since they already have their money. So the post office will turn down the claim.