Mon June 3 2019 21:00:38

Is eBay Keeping Tabs through Household Members?

By: Reader

Recently, my printer stopped working, and I was going to use my brother's PC and printer to print an eBay label.

We share an ISP through our WiFi provider.

When he went to his eBay home page, to the surprise of both of us, he was shown two different items that I had looked at on MY computer within the last couple of days!

It looks like eBay will stop at nothing to invade the privacy of its users. Shame on them. I would love to hear their explanation for this, as I'm sure other users would, too.

(I have been on eBay for about 19 years, so please redact my name should you find this fit for publishing. Thank you.)

Perminate Link for Is eBay Keeping Tabs through Household Members?   Is eBay Keeping Tabs through Household Members?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Mon Jun 3 23:16:37 2019

It's not just eBay!

The other day me & the wife were talking about lint brushes.

My computer has no microphone or camera, my cell phone was in the room.

I was signed into several program on the computer, Yahoo, Youtube, Google, eBay, ecommercebytes and I'm sure a few others. The cell phone had no active programs running that I knew of.

5 minutes after we talked about lint brushes up pops a ad for a lint brush on Google search for a local subway page, on my computer. . . .

A lint brush, one of the most uncommon items their is and here Google show us one!

THEY'RE LISTENING TO US. . . . .

by: Ebay Little Shop of Horrors This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 4 10:28:39 2019

Can you repeat the experiment?

Can you do it in a room with just your phone?

Not with a lint brush but something you'd never buy?

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 4 16:09:38 2019

eBay tracks you by IP address. For proof and example let's say you're not logged into your account and view some items on eBay. When you do login those items will be shown in your viewing history. Incognito/private browser modes don't change that either because you're still using the same IP. They more than likely also record which sites you visit before and after eBay. To stop eBay (and others) spying on your activity you need to use VPN/proxy software or extensions.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jun 4 17:56:56 2019

@toolguy - Maybe it was just a coincidence. Like the times I'm sitting in the car, listening to the radio, and think about a song I haven't heard in ten years. And suddenly, they're playing it on the radio!

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 5 08:47:00 2019

Years ago for some reason, my MIL and I mentioned dogs in a private email. Suddenly I was inundated with dog ads! I don't have a dog and neither does she. Unbelievable how they can take words out of context and show you things to buy especially from a supposedly private email. The US government might want to use eBay and Amazon to sniff out terrorists and crazy's getting ready to shoot since whatever they are doing isn't working!

Same with Amazon, I once bought a CD of Johnny Cash for my son's birthday who lives in another state. Funny thing. It was 'undeliverable' and was sent back and the order canceled and then the listing was up 10 times what it had been! Too much for my purse! But even though Amazon should have realized that I bought it off of someone's wish list, they were presenting me with Johnny Cash CDs as well as music CDs that I hadn't ever even heard of for months! Why would Amazon think I wanted to see more of this stuff. They should be able to set up their promotions to take away from things bought on Wish Lists.

It is like you can't get away from them. The craziest though is getting those recommended email like I get every morning for items that I had listed since before listing it, I had done a search to see what current prices were and how much competition I would run into. So Amazon thinks I would like to buy my own product! It gets so silly after awhile.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 5 20:18:56 2019

Many "smart" devices have microphones and cameras that unless you turn them OFF are ON.

Internet sites claim to have privacy options -- but they are about impossible for anyone to find and turn off settings that allow sharing and snooping.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philo

Fri Jun 7 03:26:27 2019

Any chance you both use gmail for email?   Google and others scan your email and present ads to you.  It may not have been ebay but rather google reporting to ebay what ads to present.  Microsoft 365 is the only main email program where they do not scan your emails.