Sat Aug 12 2017 17:37:55

eBay Shipping Labels Snafu when Insurance Selected

By: Reader

For over 3 months now, when I try to select insurance when using Priority labels on the bulk shipping label editor, it refuses to print them. If I have a mix of Priority, First Class and Media Mail, it will not print out the Priority ones if I select insurance.

Calls to eBay, having them replicate the problem on their end, tweets to them on Twitter have yielded nothing.

I found a thread on the Technical Issues forum, on eBay where dozens of other are having the same problem. An eBay moderator said they were working on a solution, but 3 months now? One poster said they had not been able to print priority labels with insurance on the bulk shipping label page for 4+ years!!!!

No response on eBay's part. Which isn't really a surprise. What are sellers supposed to do when eBay will not fix the issue?
J.

eBay Shipping Labels Snafu when Insurance Selected   eBay Shipping Labels Snafu when Insurance Selected

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Aug 12 22:59:18 2017

@J. (OP) - The only time eBay makes an effort to correct a problem is when it costs them money. If the "glitch" affects their sellers' business, they don't care about fixing it.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 13 04:27:38 2017

Oh No don't tell me another FLEECEBAY GLITCH. HA HA

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 13 11:03:34 2017

''What are sellers supposed to do when eBay will not fix the issue?''

Realizing that a potential soloution might be economically challenging, yet for trouble saved may hold surprising recoup value anyway, is a good place to start.

There are alternative ''postage programs'' available.  Comparison costs vary by circumstance.  If such cost can be seen viable, considering the above if necessary, then choosing to change is something one can ''do''.

And there's something else you can do then.  Call eBay, and tell them why they will no longer be profiting from their abhorrently futzed up shipping 'services' from you.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 13 12:11:16 2017

use the free stamps.com service

it works

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Aug 14 00:01:11 2017

This may be a blessing in disguise. The insurance options using eBay's labeling system (ShipCover and USPS) is expensive. ShipSaver is a much, much better deal. Plus you have the advantage of adding the insurance directly through eBay using the drop down menu in applications. I have saved a ton over the years.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 14 00:32:47 2017

I saw the reference to a free stamps.com option, posted by RL15.  I know about the free four week trial program, but don't see any free option beyond that.   The monthly fee is $15.99/month plus the cost of the postage.  I doubt that I can make that pay for itself with the discounts.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Aug 14 00:34:19 2017

There's no monthly fee with ShipSaver.

by: shootingcreek This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 14 06:10:56 2017

I have been having the same problem. Have went back to ShipSaver as mentioned about. You can add it through the Ebay Apps available. You can also now print your labels using shipsaver. If you also sell on etsy, you can connect that shop and ship all your labels together (one scan sheet). The insurance is much less that Ebay;s insurance and also the post office above $100.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Aug 14 08:47:09 2017

Auctiva Insurance is dirt cheap and they insure 1st Class International packages. Auctiva links to your eBay listings so it's quick and painless.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 14 10:38:01 2017

@smallstuff

call stamps com, tell them you want the free account for eBay sellers.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 14 12:32:54 2017

@RL15 - Thank you.  You are absolutely correct.

So far, I've had no problems with eBay postage even with in the rare cases when insurance or signature required is needed.

Can anyone comment on the discounts on stamps.com?  Are they the same as eBay or better or worse?

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 14 15:47:38 2017

Smallstuff

Just contact Stamps.com and ask to open a free Ebay account.  It does not come with all the bells and whistles that the regular account does but I absolutely love it and have been using it since Ebay refuse to lower their FCP shipping rates for the 6 cent 1-3 ounce rate snafu back in January of 2016.  Now they could not pay me to switch back.

I do not qualify for the Guaranteed Shipping program because I use Stamps.com for my labels, but even losing out on that promotion does not come close to making me consider changing back.  I have not had any issues with scan sheets not working properly, I receive daily email notifications of all packages that are delivered that day which I save and then have proof of delivery well after the 90 days that Ebay / Paypal provide  the sellers using their shipping label programs.

The only difference in cost is I lose the 3% Commercial Plus pricing on Priority Packages.  Stamps,com also offers their own postage insurance which has a 10% discount from USPS rates which I have used each time I insure a package.

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 15 09:58:41 2017

There's another issue with the eBay shipping labels for Media Mail.  If you go in to print the label, it charges you $.25 for the tracking number, which is actually free.  I do it too rarely to contact ebay and fuss about it, but it's certainly a nice little unearned profit center for them.

by: timeaftertime This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 20 11:06:50 2017

I subscribed to Stamps.com ($15.99) when I finally became fed up with fighting the eBay/PP shipping label system.  I still think ''they'' were trying to force me to ''link'' my two accounts which I refused to do, because maybe 3 out of 5 or 6 attempts to create a label would come up ''SYSTEM UNAVAILABLE TRY LATER.''  SUCH@@! a time waster!!

And the ebay/PP system was not providing every single possible service or option available. I use Priority Regional shipping a lot - I don't recall ever seeing Regional rates as an option in eBay/PP shipping.

For $16 I decided it was not worth my time to fight with a system that was that frustrating.  Using Stamps.com saves me HOURS.... I don't like the pay subscription situation, but I can write it off as a business expense.

There are other pluses of Stamps.com (and probably others like it):  Such as the value of paper that I no longer have to use printing receipts.  With eBay/PP I had to save individual receipts (each one a 1/2 sheet of paper). By the end of the year these would be a stack 3'' - 4'' thick - at least a full ream ! but I needed them for tax records, and FURTHER, I had to add them all up by hand, i.e., more TIME spent on an unnecessary project!  Now I can take 10 minutes and create a spreadsheet which automatically adds up all the totals I need , and best of all is only one or two sheets of paper!