728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Forums
 EPIS
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Mon June 19 2017 14:21:45

Amazon Eases Up on 2 Step Verification?

By: Reader
Just signed on to my Amazon Seller Central account this morning. The ominous message that threatened to disable my access to Seller Central unless I signed up for two-step verification was replaced by this message:

"Amazon strongly recommends that you enable Two-Step Verification to protect against unauthorized use of your account. Based on your feedback, we are developing alternative solutions to enable Two-Step Verification, and your access to Seller Central will not change until these solutions are available."

Could this be a (small) victory for the marketplace sellers simply for the fact that as a result of enough seller pushback, Amazon actually listened and backed off one of its arbitrary, draconian rule changes it like to inflict on the marketplace seller?

Mary

Note from the editor: You can read more about the proposed requirement on this page.

Amazon Eases Up on 2 Step Verification?   Amazon Eases Up on 2 Step Verification?
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 19 19:07:48 2017
You can actually sign up for it and then later in the sign up process you can disable or bypass having to use the secondary code to log in.  You do it once during the sign up, my guess would be to make sure it works, then you can check a box to turn it off.
by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 20 15:19:58 2017
@marie

I've checked that box every single time and still had too do the 2 step  the next time

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 20 15:25:57 2017
I have no answer for that. It works fine for me.  I just checked it again just in case something has happened.  It is still bypassing the numerical verification.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 20 15:28:34 2017
Wait!  Do you mean you set it up first, Amazon then sends you the numerical code, after that you use the numerical code with your account password, then the question comes up if you want to bypass [not sure that is the word used] the numerical log in verification.

If you did the set up and checked the box, then I'm guessing you would need to contact Amazon.  But you do HAVE to set it up first to then get to the box to not use it.
by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 20 18:23:03 2017
I set it up, amazon texted the code to me, I put it in the proper box and checked the box to stop this foolishness. but it doesn't stop it, i'm still doing the whole process again
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jun 21 02:10:13 2017
IDK, sorry!!!
by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 11:18:55 2017
For me when I get the numerical code and enter, with the box checked, it is good for multiple sign-ins during that day, from the same device. The next day, starts all over again with a new number.
by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 14:34:17 2017
I suspect it's more likely that Amazon realized the compliance rate was **very** low, and they would have taken a huge hit in sales if they had gone through with their threat.

I have to say, though, that it's odd that so many are having trouble getting this working. There must be some "browser configuration variants" that Amazon didn't take into consideration and isn't yet aware of. It seems to either work just fine (as in my case), or give people fits!
by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 21 14:57:24 2017
Here''s even more weirdness, I only get the 2 step on my laptop, my tablet and phone log in without needing a text

@ignatz
The first thought I had was that the average consumer was not going to put up with having to get a text everytime the want to buy something.
by: Simplyselling This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 07:43:55 2017
I am very grateful for the two step authentication. My account getting hacked would be very expensive and devastating. I'm in a grip on a Facebook where at least a couple of people have been hacked. One is still waiting for months to get the $50k that was stolen from her. Trust me it's worth the extra step. I can sleep well knowing it's not possible to hack my account.
by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 10:17:53 2017
@ Simplyselling

Well, I suggest that you still keep one eye cracked open just a little. I doubt that anything on the net is really unhackable, starting with everything US Government and on down to us peons....
by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 10:46:12 2017
I sleep well at night knowing that to get into my Paypal, Amazon, (several Bank Accounts) require a two step process to get in. Why anyone would want it otherwise baffles me. They must have never had a ''break-in''.
by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 22 10:47:49 2017
A minor inconvenience that will save you a boat-load of pain later.

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)