728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Sun June 18 2017 12:53:32

eBay Seller Needs Help Logging in to Her Account

By: Reader
For the last 2 days eBay has been demanding a numerical security code be typed when I am trying to sign in. I attempt to sign in with my userid and CORRECT!! password and get an error message OOPS! That's not a match with a demand for me to type in a string of numbers. (Which always works)

About a week ago I changed email clients to Outlook.com and all of my followed searches, followed sellers etc is working 100%. There should be no problem with a new email? I am using a PC in my office at home. I do NOT have a mobile device.

I changed my password thinking it may be a problem (time to do it anyway) and STILL I am getting the OOPS! That's not a match with a demand for me to type in a string of numbers. (Which always lets me into my account when I do that despite the claim the userid/password is wrong.)

I do not want to have a second layer of security - !!! I have seen notices about adding one but always IGNORED them because I do not have a mobile device.

I called eBay and supposedly they are "fixing" the problem to bypass the system so I won't have to type in numbers at sign in, but I am not sure how soon that is going to happen. (We all know how a rep will try to get you off the phone fast, even if it means passing you along to another one and so on - I hate to be negative right from the start, but ...

Does anyone know if there is a SETTING somewhere in an eBay account, that ENABLES this additional security function, that I can UN-ENABLE the setting? I vaguely remember being asked (somewhere) if I wanted to enable it and I said NO.

I would be extremely grateful for any help.
J.

eBay Seller Needs Help Logging in to Her Account   eBay Seller Needs Help Logging in to Her Account
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Mon Jun 19 00:17:06 2017
After ebays big hack several years ago, I tried to get into my account to change my info as required, I kept getting told they would send me a code to use to get into ebay they never did even with multiple requests from me. Glad I don't sell there anymore, but for me this just sounds like par for the course for ebay.
by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 19 04:38:40 2017
No, but when things don't go my way with Ebay after several tries, I write a letter -- yes! a letter to Devin Weng @ Ebay.  It goes to his personal assistant and she always always replies to my letters.
Suggest that the OP call CS,  see if she can get to a supervisor who can patch her through to the tech support staff.
BTW, I even filed a Better Business Complaint online with EB recently and got a reply within 3 days from the OOTP.  It didn't resolve my complaint, but at least I got a response.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Jun 19 04:43:49 2017
I've experienced the same problem on and off or several weeks.

It's extremely annoying and time consuming.

But that's what ebafia is good at and exactly what they intend.

They WANT to drive us away to make room for the Communist Chinese and enterprise sellers.
by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 19 07:25:42 2017
Ming is right. They hate the sellers which is why I've stopped selling on ebay after 17 years as a powerseller. My word of mouth, local sales and reverb.com sales will more than make up for it and I am loving not having any listings there anymore.
by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 19 11:23:11 2017
I wonder here if the recent Internet Explorer 11 update from Microsoft that broke sellers' label printing applications might also be interfering with logins...?

The OP here didn't say which browser was in use, but it might be worth trying Google Chrome to see if that's any better. I use Chrome on my own machines and have not noticed any similar problems in operation.
by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 19 12:15:51 2017
Sounds like ebay is going to do the same PITA thing amazon has with having to be texted a security code every single time I log in.  It''s quite annoying to do on my home computer that never leaves the house.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 19 15:07:13 2017
@mindelec

While I'm not experiencing this problem on Ebay, you are correct it is going to be a requirement on Amazon by the end of the month.

Amazon does have a setting you can avoid having to enter the special number every time you log in.  But you have to sign up for it first before you can reset your account to not require it.
This user has validated their user name. by: iBuyers

Tue Jun 20 18:28:45 2017
You need a new IP address and then not to attempt a sign in for 48hrs.
This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Wed Jun 21 15:19:48 2017
I agree with 'iBuyers" it likely has something to do with your IP address not matching one they have in their records, am not aware of how the 48 hour wait resets things but worth a try.

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)