Fri May 19 2017 09:15:55

Is Etsy Requiring Its Direct Checkout Payments Already?

By: Reader

Regarding Etsy Payments (EP), which you wrote about recently saying the deadline had been extended to 5/31, well...not really. I just logged onto my account and no matter where I go on the site, it bounces to a message that I have until 5/31 to set up EP or my account will be suspended.

I can't close that message, or say "later", nothing. There are just two options from there: Set Up EP or a link for info about EP. When I try to click that it too bounces to the message.

This is tantamount to harassment. There are roughly 2 more weeks to sign up but it seems like they're making sure you can't do anything on the site in that time unless, of course, you've already signed up.

Can you check it out?
Thanks in advance,
J.

Update 5/19/17: Etsy kindly responded to our inquiry and wrote: "There is no bug and I believe your reader maybe just didn't notice the "X" in the top right corner of the notification. Sellers who have not yet enabled Etsy Payments received this warning to let them know what will happen on 5/31, but the notification can be dismissed by clicking on the X or anywhere else on the screen." Problem solved?

Is Etsy Requiring Its Direct Checkout Payments Alr   Is Etsy Requiring Its Direct Checkout Payments Alr

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 19 10:45:21 2017

Soon Etsy will be sucked up and spit out just like the rest of the little do nothing wantta be auction sites.

In a year Etsy won't even exist. 90% of America won't even remember them. They owners (sellers) will get rich and the losers will go back to Fleecebay again.

Nothing changes that it doesn't stay the same.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 19 12:40:05 2017

''In a year Etsy won't even exist and 90% of America won't even remember them''?

54 million users, $1.9 billion in GSR, 1.9 million sellers ( way back in 2014, mind you! ).

Gone and forgotten by next May 19th.

Probably not.

I keep hearing this about Ebay, Etsy, even Amazon. And every time I log on they're still there.
To the OP: try a different browser.

Clear your cache and cookies.

Try a different computer.

I see the popup but I can X it out and go on.

Hope this resolves smoothly for you. :)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri May 19 13:23:29 2017

Hopeforthebest,

At its peak, Myspace.com had 75.6 million users.

Clearly, number of users is no predictor of future success.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Fri May 19 14:43:33 2017

See update added to above - sellers can click on the "x" to make the message disappear.

by: dezine01 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 00:43:53 2017

The ''X'' does close the message, however, not permanently.  With EVERY Click in the Etsy Site, or the users store, it reappears over and over and you can click the 'x' as many times as you want and it only comes back.  Cannot accomplish even the simplest tasks such as answering emails, etc.  I finally gave in much to my dissatisfaction and signed up for the Etsy Pay just to enable me to function and carry on my daily business.  Definitely made my blood pressure go up.  I have never, even as a child, taken kindly to being forced into anything, and this was definitely to the point of harassment!  If I could find a marketplace that could deliver the sales that ETSY ONCE did, I would be willing to pay more for the services.  Time to work on our external site.

by: Biglouis This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 04:08:39 2017

The amount of notice that Etsy gave sellers for such a monumental change (originally 4 weeks) was completely inadequate.

There are whole groups of sellers who have been left out in the cold by this bullying maladministration:-

1)In order to sign up for Etsy payments (EP) photo ID was required - something which many UK sellers have little use for. Yes - there are actually people in the world who dont travel or drive cars so dont have photo ID. So now they have to spend 79 GBP on a passport to pacify Etsy!

2) Then there are sellers who moved to another country but Etsy (for some unknown reason) cant allow them to change bank accounts to their new location! Well they cant sign up for EP either.

3) Then there are sellers who dont trust EP because of the meltdown last year with their payment processor where hundreds of transactions were left ''pending'' for upto a week. At that point many sellers went ''Paypal only''.

No one pretends that the folks at Paypal are saints but you can reach them 24/7 whereas you are lucky to get a (canned) email from Etsy inside a few days.

This whole fiasco stinks.

by: treasurehunter777 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 06:42:07 2017

Want to talk about a joke, Paypal not my pal is the biggest joke of a payment system out there. It is a licence to steal from sellers & you the sellers can do nothing about it. But Etsy does intervene on behalf of the sellers that use direct checkout unlike FEEbay as in bad buyers who scam & get away with it. I have peace of mind with Etsy direct checkout. To me it is worth the little extra cost to have this. Etsy is a great seller venue. I highly recommend it. You have to be a glutton for punishment to sell on Feebay.

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 08:22:14 2017

The other thing nobody mentioned is that using the Etsy payment system, you have to WAIT for your money!  I mean it takes DAYS for them to deposit it in your bank account.

With Paypal, the money goes right to my PP account immediately.  I have immediate access to cash.

Etsy crooks and con artists play games with sellers' money.  They probably brag about it somewhere on their SEC filings.

by: Crafteme This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 09:40:58 2017

@flying Childers
I have my deposits to set up weekly.  I get an email Monday afternoon saying the payment has been processed and I have it in my bank and available on Tuesday morning.  The Processing time is on the banks end not Etsy.  Speak to your bank about their policies.

by: Duster This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 11:59:37 2017

There are rumors flying around about Etsy being sold.  Sorry, but I don't feel comfortable with unknown foreign investors or Walmart having my bank account info and a scan of my passport.

There are also some shops caught in a situation because they took out PayPal business loans.  From what I understand, they are required to use PP in their businesses and pay a portion of each sale toward the loan. Are they supposed to default on their loans or file bankruptcy?

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 12:39:43 2017

Rexford, I know huge companies disappear, that's not the point.

The point is the constant ''I hate them and so they're magically going to vanish overnight'' drum some people beat.

I've heard these claims forever about Ebay, Amazon, Microsoft, and countless others.

Every one of them is... still there.

by: Garcia This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 22 18:23:10 2017

It doesn't matter if Etsy is giving sellers until May 31 or forcing them to do it now.  What matters is they are forcing sellers into an unreliable messed up payment system that results in processing delays that have no explanation.  I have always been a PayPal only seller with lots of sales and never a problem.  I just switched to Etsy payments and I had a payment processing for three days without any explanation and no response from Etsy when I emailed them.  When they finally did respond I got a form letter that gave me no explanation of when,why or anything regarding my specific pending order.  I don't care if Etsy stays or goes is sold or changes they will always be a place that doesn't care one bit about its sellers or its buyers.

by: treasurehunter777 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 25 07:51:11 2017

I really do not know what your are talking about. Etsy payments are available for deposit the next business day after the sale. I never have a problem with Etsy on the other hand Paypal not my pal is notorious for ripping people off & freezing accounts for sometimes months & nothing you can do about it because they are not a financial institute & are not regulated. Paypal always sides with the buyer on sales no matter what even if the buyer is a crook. Go to paypal sucks . com & read the horror stories. Etsy is a great company.