728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Mon Apr 17 2017 22:19:30

Seller Questions eBay Feedback Practice

By: Reader
Not too sure whether anyone has ever brought this issue up to the surface, I am talking about how eBay records the late shipping endorsements on TRS dashboard. Ever since I became aware of the practice, every single late shipping endorsement on my dashboard has been erroneously determined and applied. Of course, the task of chasing around to have them removed falls onto the seller.

I was dismayed to learn that something as potentially damaging to a seller reputation is "system generated" and such decisions are never vetted after the event.

The shamefully under developed piece of code responsible was released more than two years ago, and has never since been monitored, let alone modified to suit its purpose.

eBay was so eager to flex the threatening muscle by releasing it, they omitted to shake out the bugs first, and consequently, the system is unable to establish a dynamic link between the relevant determining events in the process i.e. payment date, carriers scan date, non-business week days, public holiday dates, and whether or not carriers delivered on the agreed date, and so on.

As a result of these shortcomings, the question forwarded to buyers as they leave feedback frequently generates the wrong date relative to "has it arrived on or later than?"

The sad thing in all this is when you call up to speak to someone, you're very unlikely to get to talk to someone who actually knows what on earth is going on?
Many thanks,
Manny

Seller Questions eBay Feedback Practice   Seller Questions eBay Feedback Practice
by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 18 13:32:13 2017
As said before and needs repeating weekly.

ITS EBAYS PLAYGROUND.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 18 16:58:27 2017
It's a "playground" WE built.

Never forget that, Froggy!

Ebay did, and they've been paying the price for several years.
by: 27tcle This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 18 17:44:34 2017
Yeah their delivery date is a bit optimistic to begin with in any case, but all the marks are ''carrier'' says late delivery. Nevermind that i ship either the day of or day after the sale. Then when the tracking number of most of the supposedly late items is entered MANUALLY in the USPS website... SURPRISE! It's well within the delivery estimate window, and usually a day or two early.

If you have any doubt, give it a try. I have better things to do than spin on a hamster wheel to get a 10% FVF credit. I'm sure that changing my expected handling time to 3 days and letting it go will more than make up for the savings of antacid and migraine medicine and the triple bypass surgery later!
by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 19 10:44:31 2017
@ ming

It doesn't matter who built it, the fact is its Ebays playground and its their rules.

If one doesn't like it then they should just LEAVE.
by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 19 20:25:15 2017
Yeah, of course the fools neglected to think of all the real world use cases that should be factored into this.. For the % tracking, I get dinged on holidays, and other odd circumstances like you had to void and redo a shipping label.. They track the 1st one, not the 2nd so you get dinged every time for this.. Now that its moving to 5% everyone will lose out...
This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Apr 20 00:50:42 2017
The 'tone' struck with the new PayPal ads is one of indulgence, impulsivity, and a tutorial on how to get 'free' stuff.
This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Apr 20 00:54:52 2017
(Wrong post above.)

This post: "Has it arrived on or later than?" requires me to check a calendar or leave feedback on the day of delivery (how else will I remember?) and I am not going to do that.
by: ConnecticutGal This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 01:15:48 2017
Recently, I had a slightly different issue.  I have 100% perfect feedback with most buyers commenting how quickly I ship.  Yet, two weeks ago, I had to ship a heavy antique figurine so I brought it to the PO in order to have it weighed properly and to insure it (it was fairly pricey).  My PO does not give a "tracking" number when insured.  Instead, there is an insurance number.  Yet, when you try to input that number, ebay flags it and says it is not valid.  I sent the insurance number to the buyer through the ebay message system and input the number as the tracking number anyway.  All was done within my stated 2-day shipping. The item arrived in 2 days, everyone was happy.  Except for ebay, who gave me a deficit for not uploading the tracking info ON TIME.  Since this was in error, I called CS to get this defect removed.  The CS agent said he was so sorry to have to tell me this, but that specific piece of information is "system generated" and he has no way of changing it.  He also said that management is aware of this but that they have not done anything to change this.  So, the agent annotated our conversation, gave me the Service Request number for future reference and now I will have to live with this defect for 12 months.  I have only had one defect ever, about 2 years ago (I mailed a pkg on day 3 due to illness and knew I'd get hit) but other than that, never had a neg feedback or defect.  Needless to say, I was furious that this could not be corrected and might try calling again this week but don't hold much hope.
by: simerivergun This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 07:37:37 2017
Thanks for this article, Ina.  I talked to Ebay about this for the last several weeks concerning my late shipment rates.  According to Ebay, if a seller protests the late shipment defects, then Ebay will do a two week vetting of the items.  I had over 10 late shipment listings and they were all removed because they were not late.  But I had to call and call and call Ebay to address this problem.
Ebay says that they are aware of this problem and are giving it top priority.  Again this morning I wake to 5 more late shipment listings.  This takes up my time and effort and is affecting my sanity with Ebay.  They punish sellers, but never Chinese sellers.  They only punish American sellers.  Perhaps we need a class action law suit to get Ebay to be more AMERICAN!  Thanks
by: jdbok This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 11:30:14 2017
this has effectively taken my business down about $1500 per month
I used to call up and get late shipments removed-- time consuming but I counted it as overhead.
then about 3 months ago I was no longer able to get them removed becouse they have seriously changed the delivery time.
I use 1st class and on the item page it may give a range of 3-5 days but after it is delivered and a late shipment is filed against me the record shows ebay expected it to arrive in 2 days-- and this information is only available in a complex spread sheet report after the fact.
from NY to california or wherever!
this is priority time frame not 1st class but when customer service, supervisor, special higher-ups-- whoever-- they all say there are a number of variables that ebay uses to determine delivery time ( meaning a bot).
I have lost TRS which has devastated my visibility
even if someone types in the full title they will not find my items 1/2 the time
I have been forced to switch to 2 day handling which further decreases traffic
because on top of the inconceivable delivery expectations eBay now counts one day handling as same day
for instance if I get paid at 11:59 pm on a Tuesday eBay expects the package to be scanned on Wednesday before we even get to work!
I don't care about the  discount I just need traffic
what can we do?
there used to be work arounds for ebay graft
has anyone figured out anything?

by: jdbok This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 11:34:53 2017
27tcle

" when the tracking number of most of the supposedly late items is entered MANUALLY in the USPS website... SURPRISE! It's well within the delivery estimate window, and usually a day or two early. "

can you explain how tracking can be manuals fixed to not count as late?
or am I misunderstanding your post?
thanks
by: jdbok This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 11:40:17 2017
" Perhaps we need a class action law suit to get Ebay to be more AMERICAN!  Thanks"

years ago I proposed to the 5 days strait board participants ( remember when we could really be a community?)that we pool funds and buy enough stock to address the shareholders meeting.
but no one wanted to divvy up $$
I don't think a lawsuit will work because in order to sell we all sign the user agreement which basically says they can do whatever they want regardless of the fees we pay

back then I think the investment was $1000 to have the right to attend the shareholder meeting and a process to address the meeting with a question open to all shareholders.

who wants to invest in a stock that bankrupts their best paying customers by decreasing revenue?

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)