728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Mon Apr 10 2017 11:23:07

When eBay Items Boomerang: Seller Seeks Advice

By: Reader
This eBay seller had two items returned to him due to buyer's remorse. What can he do in these situations?

I have these two instances in the past week from eBay buyers and wondered if you or others have any input on them.

Case 1:
I sold a vintage perfume bottle that had a very distinctive and rare outside holder as well as the bottle itself. It was circa 1950's and from Cuba. I stated that part of the contents were still in and it was sealed. It showed half full in the images and the seal plastic partially there as well as the cord. A cord needed removed to open it.

About 12 days later it's returned to me with a note from the buyer that "The bottle was broken, the paper bottom in holder damaged" and she was looking to give it to her 80 some year old mother as a birthday gift.

The bottle was not broken and the felt on cardboard base just pulled away and could easily be glued in and unnoticed, it was not damaged.

I wrote back that how could she think this was a usable perfume. And that there was no breakage or damage to anything. I called eBay on it and they said she had to fill a dispute and state not as described. Shipping was priority insured included.

She never did that but instead requested a refund via PayPal. Where do I stand on this?

Case 2:
Today I receive a signed and dated print by a very well known person. It was purchased for $260 with shipping Priority mail included.

The buyer stated in an enclosed note "Thank you so much for the lovely print, but I have to return it...a bit too large for the apt.."

I responded that this is not a valid reason to return an item purchased. It had the measurements listed clearly and you still purchased it? With 500 feedbacks I would think you know this is not a valid reason. We like to loan items at our experience ?

She has not responded as yet. Where do I stand on this?

We have (nearly 3,000) positive feedbacks with only 4 negatives, all way back prior to 800 positive ones. We have never had anything like this occur. The cost to us is over $300.00 + $26.00 in postage, and the funds no longer available.

Thanks, any and all help appreciated.
Jim

When eBay Items Boomerang: Seller Seeks Advice   When eBay Items Boomerang: Seller Seeks Advice
by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 14:15:37 2017
First off anything can be returned for any reason. Especially paypal...They will require the buyer to return the item at their own expense.

Ebay will probably side with the buyer also.

We have had numerous items returned for buyers remorse and ebay might side with the seller but the if the buyer is smart they will then trot over to paypal and file a claim. And finally if that doesn't work their is always the chargeback on the credit card.

Your best bet is to wait and see if either of the them open an ebay case. If they do then call ebay and VERY NICELY tell them your store. Ebay has been very generous is refunding the buyer for you out of their own pockets. The same for paypal.

The only thing I wouldn't do is get upset with them as they just might let you pay for all.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 10 15:50:15 2017
Case 1
Be consistent and let them know they can return the item for a refund.  If you are still in the ''Request'' stage, may this statement in an Ebay message inside the Request.  Don't click on any of the options they give you, just the one to send them an email.  Wait and see how the buyer responds.

You do not have to give them the product for free nor will Ebay force you to allow them to keep the item and never return it.  But the first step to protecting yourself is to have it in writing INSIDE the Request.  It give you some protection if the buyer turns around and escalates the request to Ebay / claim, as they would have no need to escalate it since you've already told them they could return for refund.  So if they were to escalate, immediately get on the phone to Ebay and explain everything.  This you can prove, NOT your feelings or gut feelings.  They don't care and it is a waste of time.  Stick to the facts.

Case 2
''I responded that this is not a valid reason to return an item purchased. It had the measurements listed clearly and you still purchased it?''  IMHO that was a mistake.  Pointing fingers and trying to outright blame the buyer is not really a good approach.  It certain could be exactly what happened, but still not a good idea as it just doesn't matter.  It is not your job to fire them up, which could be why you haven't heard back from them.  Keeping the buyer in a receptive state of mind is FAR better than lighting a fire under their feet.

Has she opened a Request?  I'm going to guess she didn't.  So if she didn't, then send her another email.  A professional and polite email.  Let her know that you will refund her the purchase price she paid less the original shipping and that you are sorry it did not meet her needs.

You may not like it, but unless it is more important to you to be right, it is the better way to go.  And then add this buyer to your BBL.

Because you have spent the money for this sale is not an excuse for not refunding.  You need to make arrangements so you can make good on this issue.  It is not your buyers concern that you already spent the money.

Now please don't get me wrong.  Buyers returning stuff for similar reasons annoy the hell out of me and I feel Ebay should allow sellers to have a tool to work better on the BM problems that come our way.  But we all know they don't.  So you have to do the best you can to protect you and your accounts health.

What were your other negatives for?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 10 16:04:28 2017
Ebay does sometimes refund a buyer with Ebay funds, but that is for low dollar value purchases.  I'm not sure what case 1 was worth, but certainly case 2 is way over the mark.

In case 2 the buyer did not even ask for permission to return the item, so there is no request in place YET.  That could change at any moment.  The fact they did not seek your permission to take the return could help you if they do.  On top of that, if the buyer shipped it back without tracking, that could also help.

I have in my stated return policy that buyers that need to return something need to get my permission first and an RMA number BEFORE returning the item as there may be serious delays without pre approval.  While many may say that buyers don't read the return policy, for me it has worked for years.  I have not had an unexpected item returned to me since I put that in my policy.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Apr 10 19:23:18 2017
I had a buyer a couple of weeks ago who returned an expensive for several reasons which were clearly buyer's remorse and so stated in her return request comments.

Of course, she filed under the guise of "doesn't seem authentic" which was patently false so I'd have to pay the return shipping.

Call ebay and MAKE SURE they will allow you to deduct your original shipping charges from the refunds. Be sure to get the case number from the rep and insist whatever they told you be entered in your account.

The put her on your BBL and use Report of Buyer -- one time for each item.

If sellers would report these lookie lous every time to ebay, we might have fewer problems.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Apr 10 21:16:45 2017
@Ming

If your still under the "request" stage, you don't need to obtain their permission for anything.  As long as you and the buyer are in agreement, it is fine.  I always recommend getting this confirmed via correspondence inside of the Request.
by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 10 22:03:40 2017
Procedurals aside (not to minimize them there), selling vintage OOAK on eBay these days requires one to treat them as if a commoddity.

Sadly, that's become either too distasteful or too untenable for too many.  One is too apt now to never reach the tolerant, discerning and careful 'specialty' buyer for these items as was the case just a few years ago.  eBay chased them away too.

If you choose to persist though, and more power to you, resign yourself to realize no matter how 'right' you may BE, eBay's 'definition' of that in resolution, will rarely take that in account when passing judgement on transaction details.  The best to hope for is to minmize the cost.

I sold a vintage boomerang once, but it came back.  I refunded all but the shipping.  See, it COULDN'T be SNAD; it came back.....
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 11 02:50:55 2017
Ebay only has two kinds of claims which is the biggest cause of these issues sellers have in working through the requests.  It is either a SNAD or an INR.  Which is way too limiting for both buyers and sellers.

The important thing to remember is that while it is in the Request stage, a buyer and seller can agree to whatever they want to fix whatever is going on.  You don't need to do anything special and you don't need Ebay's permission.  As long as your customer agrees you are fine.  As I said earlier, just make sure you document it in the communication on the Request for you best protection.

Snappy what do you mean by the difference in your procedure for an OOAK item and a commodity?  I understand the definitions of the two types of things, I just don't know what your difference would be in how you handle a return for the two different types of items.
by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 11 09:55:33 2017
@jim - my advice is quit selling on fleecebay. they are a very unethical company.
This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Apr 11 12:55:03 2017
@RL15

I'm not Jim but if I were to stop selling on eBay I would have to file for SS disability and let the American tax payer foot my bills. . .
This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Tue Apr 11 13:06:27 2017
I had an instance recently where the buyer placed a telephone call to me with their buyers remorse return request.

Politely, I explained that they would have to correspond through the eBay system in ''writing''. Never heard back from them again.

The main thing regarding these types of returns is to NEVER refuse the buyer an opportunity to send back the item. In many cases, this is what they are looking for. Once they are told ''NO!'', they can run to eBay (or Amazon) and keep your merchandise and your money if it is within 30 days.

In the second case, the buyer has already admitted they did not read the sizing details. The OP needs to politely and professionally explain that while they will accept the return, the buyer will have to pay return shipping and perhaps also a restocking fee.

When the buyer does the math, they will determine that they will lose a good sum of money if returned, and likely just keep the merchandise.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue Apr 11 19:05:48 2017
@Marie-

I KNOW that. However, it's always a good idea with ebay to get it on their computer record via a phone call. I take NO chances. I don NOT trust ebay.They say one thing one day and do something else the next.

Nevertheless, thanks for your unsolicited advice.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Apr 11 19:39:59 2017
@ming

I meant no offense to you.  From what you posted it seemed you didn't know this.  My apologies!
This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Apr 12 13:12:02 2017
I remember when this blog did not feel like the eBay discussion boards. Perhaps this too shall pass.
This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Thu Apr 13 01:09:55 2017
You are screwed Jimmy.  Recently I received 2 Negative Feedbacks  in one week.  Both were unwarranted, undeserved. One by a buyer with 6 Feedbacks, one from a buyer with ZERO Feedbacks.  I called Ebay and spoke with ''customer service'' . Explained the situation.  Any reasonable person would see I was right, Buyer was wrong.  CS Rep says ''this won't hurt you, its just the buyers opinion''.  Needless to say, he did not remove the Negative Feedbacks and I fell from a long time held 100 percent to 92.2 percent.
Believe this Jimmy, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SELLER PROTECTION.
This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Thu Apr 13 01:16:27 2017
Correction.  I fell from 100% to 98.2 percent.
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 13 01:21:36 2017
Sometines you do get lucky  and  get  an actual US  English  speaking  CSR who is willing to LISTEN  to  your  list of  the events  on your  incident.  Then you stand a chance of  getting  this taken care of in a rational sort of way;  such as being able to email pics (with a dated  headline  or  similar)  of  the perfume bottle to prove it is NOT broken;  and  being able to call the attention of  ebay to the posted measurements on an art work that the buyer thn claims are  the wrong ones OR the wrong size.  How this is different  from some one buying the wrong  size  clothing is beyond me.

But  if you are NOT  lucky you will get  some one who speaks little to no English  and understands less;  and then you have a problem.  I would keep calling until you get some one who does speak  English!

Make sure that you enpathise  that the one buyer is claiming something fradulant--and  also committing Mail Fraud---and that the second buyer has admitted to  not reading  the description.

Sometimes  this works;  sometimes it  does not but keep  a level head  and stick to the facts and make sure the CSR  handles ONE CASE AT A TIME so no confusion sets in.
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Thu Apr 13 04:26:12 2017
@Rexford. More and more this board seems to be all about ebay when their are plenty more venues out there. Is it because ebay is the most disastrous venue currently?
by: DebraD This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 13 08:40:23 2017
If you are offering returns in your listing, anything can be returned within that specified time period for any reason. Additionally, as other's have already pointed out, Paypal will likely offer a refund to the buyer if the buyer has returned the item. Ebay will not return their funds until they file a claim, if you do not accept returns, and the customer selects a buyers remorse reason, you may have a chance of the claim being closed in your favor, however its a lost cause with the item not as described claim. You will be forced to refund in that case, whether you are right or wrong. Once the items are returned though, it will be an uphill battle with Paypal.
by: odona This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 13 09:11:13 2017
I stopped not accepting returns years ago - in fact I will accept for any reason at all on all my sites...however I am very clear that it MUST BE returned exactly as I shipped it - I keep pix. Life is too short to waste on pissing contests. And buyers who are treated well might be more responsive to coming back in future...just me but it works.
by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 13 09:18:05 2017
Case 1 is via paypal. Too bad you let this person know you got the item already. You could have represented to paypal that they have to return it, it is still within the refund period for ebay and they need to open the case there.  I usually win on paypal with that stance and they never then open it on ebay.  Paypal claims are fairly easy to win, at least a person looks at it and makes a reasonable decision most of the time.
Case 2, if you have your 20% restock fee set up and charge shipping separately, you should be fine on the fees (sorry you don't have the money right now, maybe you need to run a markdown sale to pay for this).
If they are within 30 days you are pretty much going to have to accept it, that is what buyers remorse is all about and why you should have the restock fee and separate shipping.  But even still 20% of 300 is 60.00 which should cover your shipping fee.

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)