Fri Oct 6 2017 11:39:52

Seller's Multichannel Feeds Lead to Bonanza Restriction

By: Reader

I have been selling on Bonanza for a couple of years now. It's nice as they get a feed from Amazon and eBay and bring my items only. I sell a few items a week which is a nice supplement to my sales.

On a few occasions, I've had an issue with some item I've been selling (I generally sell mainstream items but do sell a few underground comix on the sites as well as having Playboy and Penthouse listed). Bonanza ends those items on their site and sends me an email letting me know.

Roughly a week ago, I got notice from them that my account was on hold due to selling inappropriate items.

I've contacted them, and they've contacted me back - and they have been no help. They basically tell me that if I end the inappropriate items, they will review and reinstate me. However, they have not told me what the items in question are, other than providing me the link to the vague guidelines.

As I told the representative, they expect me to go through 30,000 listings to end things that are inappropriate, yet they won't even send me a list of the items that are against their standards so I would have to guess which items they are.

I'm more than willing to work with Bonanza on this issue. In the past, they've simply ended the questionable items and we are all happy. This time, there are no easy solutions and they don't seem to be willing to work with me. So much for them ever being a viable contender with eBay given that their policies are becoming as silly as those of eBay.

As I told the representative, at this point it isn't worth the hassle to continue to sell on their site as they aren't offering me any guidance nor trying to work with me on the issue. It's just incredible that they know I have items in violation yet cannot (or will not) provide me with a list of the items so I can attempt to remedy the situation (say it's one item not in compliance, perhaps I would end that on Amazon. If it's 250 items, I won't...but without them providing me a list of the items, I cannot make that decision).

Oh well, another day, another headache for an online seller.
Papergoy

Update 10/9/17: Bonanza took the seller's feedback to heart. The seller forwarded an email he received from Bonanza, which promised to reinstate his store (booth) and create filters to avoid the problem - which sounds like a positive development for all sellers.

Seller's Multichannel Feeds Lead to Bonanza Restri   Seller's Multichannel Feeds Lead to Bonanza Restri

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 6 11:45:38 2017

Sounds like OP listed items HE KNEW were wrong and now is crying because Bonanza finally caught up with him and won't help him delist said items.

Sounds like OP knew what he was doing was against Bonanza rules hence admiting to Bonanza deleting items.

Hard to feel sorry for someone who likes to play these kind of games.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 6 12:20:17 2017

actually froggy, they are showing up in his feed.

"To further complicate matters, as I have the feeds set up, if I end the item today, it shows back up tomorrow - and Bonanza has no way to block a specific item on the feed so there is no way around this other than 1) ending the item on Amazon or eBay where it is fine or 2) daily as soon as the feed comes through, ending the item until the next feed comes through."

goign thgrough 30k listings a day to check a feed is rediculous to expect.

the items are not prohibited on ebay or amazon.

so, lets give the guy some understanding of the issue.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 6 14:16:56 2017

I am the OP in question (whatever that means, I hate how kids use slang and expect everyone to understand).  I am very open with what I sell- general magazines and books and ephemera- feel free to look me up on either Amazon or eBay.  As to any item being against Bonanza rules- perhaps- but it isn't that I'm trying to put one over on them- it's that they offer the automatic feed. If they didn't do so, I wouldn't sell on their site as I don't get enough traffic or sales to warrant actually listing from scratch there.  So they have the feed, they find an item that doesn't meet their standards for whatever reason and they end the given item- I have no problem with any of that.  What I do have a problem with is being told that some items do not meet their standards but then not telling me WHICH items but expecting me to end the items in question despite not knowing which ones they are.  It's pretty simple- if they know my item violates their policy, how about telling me which item instead of having some double secret list?  That's all I'm asking for, which seems reasonable- tell me WHAT violates your policy and then I can make a decision.  Don't suspend me without telling me WHICH ITEMS caused the suspension, as how can I avoid any future errors..IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT TRIGGERED THE PROBLEM?  I'm not asking for pity- I'm simply asking for logic.  It's not rocket science, if you have enough to suspend a seller, then provide that to him so he can make amends.  Common sense.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 6 15:35:14 2017

Bottom line feed or no feed. OP listed stuff that the site was deleting. He knew what he was doing.

NO SYMPATHY FOR HIM....Feed or no Feed. If he hadn't listed and tried to game the system he wouldn't have the problem...Feed or no Feed.

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 7 07:35:02 2017

People should NOT - repeat - NOT - comment on things when they are unfamiliar with the subject matter they are "discussing."

The OP (Original Poster) is NOT trying to "put one over on Bonanza."

The PROBLEM is that Bonanza is doing an "Amazon", and telling the OP "we've suspended your account due to your listing of inappropriate items."  Period.

What Bonanza should add to that message is: "But we won't tell you what they are.  We won't give you a clear set of guidelines so it will be relatively straightforward for  you to deal with the issue. We'll keep you in the dark on this, because we can.  Ha ha."

That's a page right out of Amazon's SOP.  It's disappointing to see Bonanza adopt it.

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 7 19:39:16 2017

Lighten up on the guy. 30,000 items to go through. Bonanza has an obligation to tell him which ones. These sites make money off of us, and they can return the favor and help out once in awhile

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Sat Oct 7 20:42:48 2017

I'm with ignatz and dander on this.

D.... marketplaces should actually do something for the fees they receive as they pretend they are partners.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Oct 8 09:27:10 2017

I like how Bonanza has no way to filter the feed.  Were they too stupid to imagine different venues having different rules or were their visa holders too stupid to implement such a feature?

by: StClare This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 00:11:50 2017

I had the same issue with Bonanza and it tok forever to discover that they were in THE PROCESS of banning/canceling all listings for knives (other than cutlery). These items were not yet on the list of banned items, but they were canceling them as fast as they were listed. I had to speak to four different people before I could get a straight answer..................................I got it sorted out and approx a week later I received an email apologizing for the brouhaha.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 00:17:42 2017

Bonanza gets worse every day.
Their feed used to work fine for me then one day it messed up and I asked their customer service for help. Boy was that ever a mistake. worst advice ever. It has never been correct since. At this point I need to delete everything and start over.

I guess all I can say to poster is perhaps "reserve" the product in bonanza. Then it will not be visible to the buyer and I guess will help with the issue.  I suppose you can also just go in and reserve any that you know may be an issue.  So when the feed updates, the reserve should remain. All these sites have different ridiculous rules so who knows what theirs could be.

by: Gemz This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 01:11:24 2017

You mean people actually sell things on Bonanza????? AMAZING! I have the absolute lowest prices on particular items which would be considered the top 5 categories on all of Ebay. (And I DO mean the absolute lowest on brand new items of which 100's are sold every day on the site) and yet I have not had a SINGLE (and I am not kidding) sale from bonanza! Nothing at all! No inquiries either! I had to go there just to make sure the account was active and it is. I am not saying what items I sell cause I know ebay and they way they work, if they find out who you are on here your world just got a lot more complicated but lets say for the sake of argument that I have 50 pieces of Iphone 8, (what we sell moves better than Iphones and has for many years all around the world, it's also brand new factory sealed and not 2nds of B stock/refurb) and we sell the item for approx. 45% lower than any retail store in the world and we sell them lower than 100% of everyone on ebay and bonanza) We also sell them for at least 10%-15% lower than anyone on Ebay! You would think that Bonanza people would buy this stuff since someone in their family surely has one, needs one, or has been looking around for one for some time. The feeds going to Bonanza run the same as Ebay like everyone has (well mostly) so it's nothing different by any means. So in the end...Why don't I hear a peep out of anyone on Bonanza? You would think with this OP making an issue out of what is happening to him that he surely gets sales from there! Bonanza doesn't have a clue other than...Maybe no one in interested in them! (If you knew what it was, you would be like ...REALLY????!!!!!??? Seriously????!!!)

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 9 06:32:08 2017

FeelingFroggy says "NO SYMPATHY FOR HIM"

Yep, you've made that loud and clear.  I hope that if you ever run into an issue with a site that you sell on and you can't get anyone to listen or help that you get more sympathy that you are giving OP.  I don't know where you got the idea that he was "gaming the system" as you put it, but you obviously were hell bent on thinking the worst of the the OP.

It's a feed. It's automatic. It needs a filter.  I guess it is just easier to criticize someone that to actually be part of the solution.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 07:11:33 2017

To the OP:  Curious about your sales on Bonanza, because I get NO SALES AT ALL.  Are your fees higher on BNZ than Ebay?

Suggestion to the OP:  At least AMZ and EB do let you know the specific item in violation, which tells me BNZ is a 3rd rate operation.  You should do what your gut tells you -- remove your items.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 10:10:17 2017

If Bonanza knows which items are objectionable... they can automatically delete them... I think OP is being reported by competitors.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 10:33:40 2017

Seems to me lately BNZ is banning alot of items that the big 2 are selling like crazy? Isn't the big picture to make money? I don't get it. Knives? really? geez you can just go down to walmart and get some - no questions asked at the register. I'm pretty sure there's thousands of items online that might - could - possibly injure someone - are you getting rid of everything? Good to know not to list Playboy on the site. Bummer - I have some original pre-magazine playboy books I was gonna list.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philo

Mon Oct 9 13:09:45 2017

Here is an idea-

Since calling a rep is getting no where, isn't there a badge reward where you can talk with the CEO or something like that.  Might be worth a shot since all other options seem exhausted at this point.

by: iwasjoe This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 18:45:07 2017

I had a pen knife removed and was chastised for listing it Been on for over 4 years with no problem. at the same time there were over 4000 items listed under THEIR category (Knifes ) including large combat and swords. Now I under stand you could cut your finger if you tried but doing serious damage to any one not likely I can even carry it on a airline.  By the way you can buy a BB gun. you can buy a 14" kitchen knife OJ comes to mind. hammers hatchets, Liz Borden.
Had a hard time getting a straight answer out of them When I got it they said they were stopping all knifes now they changed to other than cutlery. Logic Not available at BONANZA By the way I have sold 118 items on Bonanza been a member since at least 2009 14 per year?

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Mon Oct 9 21:09:25 2017

There's an update to this story (see above) - Bonanza promised to create filters for the feeds, which will fix the problem.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Oct 10 08:55:37 2017

That is not necessarily true.  Their visa holders will have to be given explicit instructions by somebody who a tally understands the issue.  Then the work needs to be reviewed by a competent programmer and the visa holder forced to correct the numerous mistakes.  Then it needs to be rereviewed until all of the mistakes are fixed and it actually works. What's more likely is some broken bandaid "fix" with no QC that just disappears listings at random.