Mon Oct 2 2017 15:59:35

eBay Admonishes Buyer for Asking Seller a Question

By: Reader

eBay is trying to reduce off-site transactions by cracking down on sellers. However, it may be scaring off shoppers as well. This buyer said that when they sought information from a seller about their listing, eBay sent them an "account warning" accusing them of trying to buy off eBay.

I asked a seller what the label on seller’s seed bead tubes said, so I could determine the size of the beads. Seller responded and included the names of the websites which were printed on the label.

I then received an “account warning from eBay” about trying to buy outside eBay. The warning included the quote from the seller in which seller wrote those website names.

This means eBay algorithm doesn’t care which party wrote the “prohibited” information, or whether the “prohibited” information was requested by the potential buyer.

Prior to this, I wrote to a seller with whom I had placed a bid, asking her how she obtained my email address, since I had received a promotional email listing her other items and it contained HER email address at the bottom of the email. She knew nothing about this spam, and asked eBay customer support, who told her that I didn’t know what I was talking about and to cease all contact with me. The email was from SELLEREMAILS.com and it has all the earmarks of being run by eBay.

After I asked her about this, I received an “eBay account warning notice” about trying to buy outside eBay. I figured this is because the bot caught the word, “Email” in my eBay message.

Seller expressed gratitude to me for letting her know this was occurring, and even sent me the item free. She insisted she had not signed up for this “service.”

Their website had a broken link to their privacy policy so I asked them to “fix the broken link to their privacy policy.” SELLEREMAILS.COM responded in classic eBay fashion: “Could you tell us which link is broken?”

These errors are disturbing since I am now at risk for monetary fines, hidden auction listings, and being banned, even though I did not violate policies.
M.

Note from the editor: Note that the SellerEmails.com domain name is private and we can't verify they are an eBay certified provider on this directory on the eBay website.

eBay Admonishes Buyer for Asking Seller a Question   eBay Admonishes Buyer for Asking Seller a Question

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Mon Oct 2 16:46:41 2017

Paranoia Reigns Supreme!!

I just had to ''fix'' many listings because eBay claimed there was contact information in the descriptions. Funny, because I do not allow anyone to communicate with me, unless it is through eBay Messages.

What I had to change was sizes of items in the item descriptions. For instance: ''This (widget) measures 12'' long x 9-1/2'' wide x 4-1/2'' tall''. The bot translated it as a phone number with extensions as contact information.

Had to phonetically spell out the measurements, and replace the ''x'' with ''by'' as a workaround. It has appeared to work, at least so far.

This wasted a great deal of my time that could have went towards listing more merchandise, and making more money for myself (and eBay). All because of a deep-rooted fear that I was going to sell something off-site. Ridiculous.......

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Oct 2 20:19:36 2017

Bots making decisions.  Because you don't have to pay a bot.  :(

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Mon Oct 2 23:33:06 2017

Another example of the stupidity of Artificial Intelligence. It is only as goos=d as the coder who sets it up and they are stupid so the AI will be stupid.

by: Trying-My-Best This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 3 01:49:12 2017

This doesn't surprise me  ...at all.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Oct 3 05:56:40 2017

The near future for Ebay :

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 3 06:12:12 2017

I'm not aware of any 'monetary fines' for violating and Ebay policy...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 3 13:05:26 2017

@hopeforthebest

They just announced one in the Fall Seller Update.  They say the MAY charge a FVF for a sale taken off Ebay.  None of us know how it is they are going to prove the sale was taken off Ebay or how they intend on applying this new rule.

There is one other rule they have that they may charge the seller a FVF on a cancelled auction with a bid on it.

These are the only two rules I'm aware of where Ebay says they may charge a seller for a violation of policy.

There are NO rule or policy on Ebay that can charge a Buyer for anything, no matter what they do.  It is ONLY Sellers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 3 13:22:37 2017

@M

I am sorry that your seller did not keep themselves better informed about Ebay selling rules.  Your seller should have NEVER shared those websites with you on an M2M [member to member] email.  It is and was your Seller's responsibility to take care of you, not cause an issue such as they did.  It is the responsibility of the sellers to stay informed and know the rules in which we all have to live by if we are going to be selling on Ebay.

Your seller should not have shared the website address in a M2M.  That is what got the bot's attention, not the word "email" in your message.

With that said, I think it is TERRIFIC that your seller stepped up for you and provided you with SUPERIOR customer service by shipping you the item at no cost to you in an effort to make up for this situation.

For all the smart people that work at Ebay, they have never figured out how to compose an email that isn't rude, confusing, lacks information, sometimes completely incorrect and/or way too often just plain out of line.

I have not seen this selleremails.com before or heard of it before.  Since it isn't on Ebay's list of third party tools that causes some concern for me.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Tue Oct 3 18:29:30 2017

Smart people at eBay?  LOL

by: P.Dorf This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 3 18:49:34 2017

Don't know who owns selleremails.com, but the registrar for the site is none other than amazon.com (Amazon Registrar, Inc AWS)..mmmmm

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 4 05:57:55 2017

This protection policy just hurts the buying experience, and makes ebay and it's sellers look like idiot's ,

We get asked for additional info ALL the time, like links to products that are used in tandem with our products, and in most cases they are products ebay doesn't even sell.

we now explain to the buyer that due to eBay's draconian policy we cannot add links, and it has lost some sales,

All this accomplishes is to make us advertise and sell even more OFF ebay,

ebay is a looser company

by: moto-science This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 4 13:02:47 2017

The usual Ebay moron management trying to control internet selling, after they motivated sellers to open Shopify stores because previous hostile to seller policies convinced sellers that the future is off Ebay.
Focus on helping sellers sell, and sellers will not need to open up other selling channels. Is it too much to ask that Ebay hire people experienced in E-commerce for a change?

by: ignatz This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 4 14:24:50 2017

I've come to believe that each software programmer at eBay implements whatever feature they get it in their head to implement.

There's clearly no vision, visible plan, roadmap, etc. behind what the eBay platform does these days.

by: dander This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 4 17:13:13 2017

Ebay needs to realize the following....I sell on their site. I provide a product, they provide a buyer and Ebay gets a fee. I am not asking for buyer info so I can go around ebay, but ebay has no issue giving my phone number out for a buyer to contact me. What next only ebay approved information included in the shipping bag?

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 00:27:30 2017

I'm "M." I appreciate the comments. It was just so ironic that eBay came down on me when it was SellerEmail.com that gave me the seller's email address, so I could have asked her to sell me the item directly, yet CS didn't care that this happened, or refer the call to trust and safety! Why wouldn't eBay be concerned about this service that gives out emails when the buyer is still bidding? eBay surely had to give permission to the company to access seller's emails, since my seller swore up and down she never signed up for it. Mystery upon mystery.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Oct 5 02:36:57 2017

@dander

Buyers and sellers have always had the ability to get the others phone number if they have a transaction together.

by: JWsax This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 08:33:33 2017

I had to spend time re-entering a very simple listing this week because ebay insisted it contained shortened URL's.
It didn't but it took repeated attempts for it to be accepted.
It was the visionary writer Philip K Dick who first conceived of bots making life far more difficult for the average person and ebay is fulfilling his vision.

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 10:09:34 2017

The seller should have added a closer photo of the label on the bead tube, or, correctly identified the size in the listing.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 10:34:00 2017

the rules are clear and have been for years - NO website, NO email address, and NO phone numbers. I have no sympathy.

by: iwasjoe This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 11:54:59 2017

similar to requirements to work at Ebay ? No Brains No Logic No business skills no etc.
I also was suspended but I had it coming will sell off ebay any time I can because of their stupid rules that restrict me making a sale.
I think someone with the skills should start a site that will list user names with their phone numbers ( opt in only ) then I could sell off ebay and give them a  discount  equal to ebays charges.