Tue June 16 2015 16:50:38

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

By: Reader

I think I noticed something new on the USPS website today. I created a shipping label on USPS.com and filled in the package value which was over the covered $50 value. USPS then automatically added an insurance fee to the cost of postage. I'd never seen it do that before.

I didn't notice the added cost until I got to the checkout. I removed the insurance and printed out the label. The label then had something new printed on it that I never noticed before. It said, "Carrier - Leave if no response".

It makes me wonder if this is a subtle way for USPS to encourage the purchase of additional insurance by saying your package will be left even if there is no one there to accept it.

My mail carrier has told me that he is personally responsible for packages that he leaves out in the open that may be stolen from a front porch or the like, so he is very selective on what he will leave and what he won't.
Steve

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 16 17:45:00 2015

I will have to ask our carrier about this--most things that won't fit in our box are either dropped off with some one who lives in our house who works on the same road or we are left a card with the note that item has been returned to PO and NOT left!

On our very rural route this works=-=and it doesn't hurt that the carrier is a friend and went to school with my kids!--but this would not work in a larger town or city.

I don't print any of my labels but that does seem odd--altho the PO has recently made a LOT of changes to their systems and methods.

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jun 17 10:58:00 2015

it is my understanding that sellers are responsible even if package is delivered, I had one one time was delivered and next day buyer opened a claim that the package was opened and bracelet was missing and ebay had me refund the cost of 28.00 to the buyer, said sellers are responsible for item to reach buyer and I should have purchased insurance, however ebay nor the post office sells insurance that covers jewelry, gemstones, and gold and silver. ebay will sell you the insurance however will not pay the claim as these items are not covered, (of course they will not tell you that unless you ask or have a claim) and that the "post office works for me" lol on that one, others had same happen ebay no longer does this they must have had issues arise from them telling sellers.

a month and a half later, by totally mistake seen the exact bracelet for sale on pintrest for 99.00, and it was the buyers husbands pintrest account, when I called ebay back they would only refund me the listing fees "and noted the buyers account" this was a one of a kind liquid silver and turquoise bracelet and the buyer and seller were in the same city and state and shared the same address

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 08:50:22 2015

I was gone for awhile from ebay but upon returning I realized that when printing my shipping label on ebay and choosing to insure it that now the post office isn't insuring it but rather ebay is taking the funds for insuring it. I asked my po did they insurance still go thru them and was informed that no it was indeed not insured by the post office any longer. So now I only purchase the postage thru ebay. I then insure it at the post office when I go to ship.  As screwed up as the post office is I'd sure rather file a claim with them than to attempt to file a claim with ebay since they are so anti seller and out to grab every penny they can these days.  FYI also opted out of global shipping since they want to make the seller absorb the return shipping fees. They got double to begin with from the buyer I know this.

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: ajeweler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 09:25:25 2015

@ Whatever
very true ebay sells insurance thru a third party and not ebay directly and USPS is not that party.
they will sell you the insurance however no place does it tell you it is a third party.

in addition no were on ebay does it tell you who insures them

it is misleading to say the least one would think it is USPS insuring when buying the insurance

The insurance ebay uses does not cover a large group of things example jewelry, collectables, art, gold, silver, coins, gemstones, raw uncut gems, and many other things including used items,

they do not tell or disclose this to the buyer of the insurance at the time when you are printing the label

I am not sure but this may be considered fraud by deception possibly Phillip or Ina may wish to look into this

Claims are also a real pain in the behind, if you have a claim there is the typical loop holes and disclaimers that you deal with ebay on a daily basis most everything is not covered if it is covered and used depending on the year of the item is made they deprecate it

it would not surprise me if ebay purchased the insurance company as most know they think they are exempt from laws, this I believe is price fixing or at the least conflict of interest

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 11:50:32 2015

The USPS requires carriers to collect a signature on all insured packages of $200 or more in value. This is not to be confused with Signature Confirmation service; it's just an in-house USPS rule, and the signature collected for that is not visible on-line to the sender. (i.e. If you need viewable Signature Confirmation on your shipment, you need to buy Signature Confirmation.)

It sounds as if the OP's package is still insured for $50 by default, but when he plugged in a higher value, then declined the extra coverage, that "Carrier may leave" message was automatically added to let the carrier know that he didn't have to hold it, or collect a signature for it.

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: toys This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 13:41:39 2015

I don't understand why you would enter a value greater than $50, if you didn't want the insurnace on a higher amount.

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: ToolDIva This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 18 14:43:22 2015

I thought I had purchased insurance from USPS when I shipped an irreplaceable antique tool. Paid for $250 insurance when printing the label. Somehow they managed to destroy this cast steel item! so I had the customer send it back to me. I tried to make a claim on the USPS site, but it kept crashing, so I called and a live person said they have a lot of trouble with that site and she mailed me a paper form. I sent it off to USPS with photos and all documents. In only a few days (!) I got a letter from USPS telling me that they would only pay me $100. ''Your mailing receipt does show that additional insurance was purchased, However when you chose to insure this item you selected Shipcover as the provider and not USPS. Shipcover is a third party insurance that is not covered by USPS You must file the claim through Shipcover. On the shipping page it says ''Purchase USPS insurance.''
So, someone is not being upfront (Surprise!).

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

This user has validated their user name. by: Basset

Sun Jun 21 10:08:16 2015

For several years the default insurance has always been Shipcover (non-usps). On the drop-down box below ''Shipcover'' is ''USPS'' insurance.  I'm in the habit of using the drop-down to choose USPS insurance, but it is easy to accidently leave it on Shipcover.

With the new automatic insurance with Priority Mail, I am shipping more items Priority instead of first class. It eliminates both packaging and insurance costs.  I also think USPS is scanning Priority mail more consistently, with first class going by the wayside scan-wise at times.

It could get confusing if sending a $150 package Priority Mail and insuring it with the default Shipcover - is it partially covered by USPS through Priority Mail, with the rest insured by Shipcover?  Or is Shipcover the insurance for the whole amount?

USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?   USPS Goosing Sellers to Buy Insurance?

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 22 10:36:45 2015

@ToolDIva:
> In only a few days (!) I got a letter from USPS
> telling me that they would only pay me $100. ''Your
> mailing receipt does show that additional insurance
> was purchased, However when you chose to insure this
> item you selected Shipcover as the provider and
> not USPS. Shipcover is a third party insurance
> that is not covered by USPS.

I'm going to guess that you're a Top Rated Seller, as a result of which you get $100 worth of free insurance with your Priority Mail instead of the usual $50. That would be where their settlement offer of $100 is coming from. They're also pointing out that you selected Shipcover when entering your higher-value shipment details, so you should pursue the remainder of your claim with them. Did you try that?