Mon June 24 2013 15:44:50

eBay and PayPal Conflict over Global Shipping Program

By: Reader

Saw your update on the front page ("eBay Expands Global Shipping Program, Feedback Still a Concern") - thank you! As some who uses GSP on a daily basis (%60 of our sales are international), I feel that I have a good grasp of some of the glaring issues that eBay has snuck into the program that cause myself and probably others HUGE headaches - as they are unsolved - and eBay as usual doesn't care.

1) You can NOT "send an invoice" to GSP customers. I don't know why this intentional bug was created (I've spoken to 10+ CS agents about it). Its well known and even from their point of view - make no sense. It creates (at least for me) HUGE amounts of unpaid item buyers.

2) Feedback issues as mentioned. A customer of mine received a "damaged item" and left me a negative feedback. It took over a week, multiple calls to CS, Trust and Safety (now there's a joke - calling ANYTHING on eBay Trustworthy or Safe) to get it removed. Even when I gave them the URL of eBay's own help page with the information about feedback removal - I was told "YOU call the customer/email them and work it out - we wont get involved". I had to threaten a law suit (covertly) to FINALLY get action.

3) PayPal issues stemming from GSP. This is eBays "good cop/bad cop" game. eBay CLEARLY states in its GSP program that if you ship an item to KY - if the item is received in perfect shape (ie no packaging or visible damage) and GSP SHIPS THE ITEM - you are covered under "Seller Protection".

Now we all know that there's no such thing as "Seller Protection", but in this case its black n white. PB's shipping of the item indicates their acceptance of the item and their agreement that it is what its supposed to be and any damage after that is THEIR responsibility.

I had a Paypal "damage" claim. The customer in BULGARIA claimed his item was physically damaged upon arrival. PayPal had NO IDEA how to manage a GSP claim issue. It took 3 calls to get it fixed. They agreed to bide by eBays rules .. only after alot of work. eBay obviously didn't prepare them for how the program works!

I wonder how many other sellers have had these issues?!
Best regards
S.

Perminate Link for eBay and PayPal Conflict over Global Shipping Prog   eBay and PayPal Conflict over Global Shipping Prog

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 24 17:12:12 2013

I can't imagine that using the global shipping program would in any case turn out well.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 24 23:31:24 2013

This is another big JOKE! Ebay won't even remove negative or neutral feedback for an item with confirmed delivery in the US, let alone anywhere else. Anyone that takes a chance in believing anything that eBay says is taking a risk of losing item, money and still receiving the negative or neutral! There is NO such thing as seller protection.

This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Tue Jun 25 00:06:08 2013

No surprise here. I always suspected eBay's "seller protection" was going to be farcical with this program. They talk it up quite well, but from what I'm hearing here and elsewhere, it's not living up to eBay's hype.

by: FREDDY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 25 00:24:27 2013

I have stopped International selling. As far as trusting ebay - think not. They keep changing mind, program, say one thing and do another. Fine Print???
It's just more desperate attempts by JD & board to try to keep the stock up till they bail or sell out.

by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 25 01:22:55 2013

It is a problem. They say 750.00 delivery confirmation accepted with ebay in Canada first class & above - with ebay shipping only for delivery confirmation ( re buyer protection with or without global shipping)  however Paypal still requires signature confirmation for $250 & above. I was told by an ebay rep that with ebay shipping only there is a deal struck that there is tracking to Canada only with FIRST CLASS on ebay labels that will provide delivery confirm tracking and there was info on  the help feature if you typed in "signature confirmation" which has since disappeared. I had asked this most helpful person about Paypal's $250 requirement and that was not aaddressed so it is basically at seller risk. I am opted out of this program because only my most expensive items that are not supposedly eligible have qualified which made me very nervous and my silver items with no stones were not eligible. When I called ebay and said the items with precious gemstones and gold tha5 were shown as excluded the global shipping person asid and she was very nice.." as long as your priority shipping gets to us in the USA  you are covered unless we refuse it/ We are responsible for the international portion, even if excluded item." Well it made it but it made no sense. Silver necklaces less than 50.00 was excluded but an item of 1900 with precious stones and gold was okay? Not smooth as silk at all. Feedback situation scary also.I know how to run my business. Regret that I want to trust them but they have not handle the logistics of shipping actual objects and insuring them and maybe that is to their advantage...don't copy Amazon. Exploit your advatntages of NOT carrying inventory and NOT SHIPPING in the next wave of inflationary environment. Vision...

by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 25 03:19:10 2013

After USPS raised rates and ebay remained taking 12% and Paypal 4% of the USPS rates,   ALL my foreign transactions had problems... INR, damage, DOA. etc.

The only that I could think of is that they are getting extra items so to pay off the extra shipping charges.

Ebay is incubator of THIEVES and EXTORTIONISTS.  Good buyers become THIEVES and LIARS!

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 25 03:53:23 2013

If you check Post Office Customs rules for most Countries, you will find that gold & silver items are not allowed except by Express mail. Most sellers either are unaware of that or are ignoring it.

by: Watching the Wheels This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 25 04:39:03 2013

I stopped all international listings when the PO raised its rates.

When America becomes serious and does something tangible to help their own citizens become competitive, I'll re examine my position.

International and small seller is a disaster waiting to happen.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Tue Jun 25 12:33:45 2013

When eBay implemented the DSR system, we immediately discontinued all International sales unless the buyer has a US mailing address such as a freight forwarding service.

eBay's Global Shipping program is rife with loopholes which are compounded by inferior and inconsistent customer service as well as conflicts with PayPal policy as the OP accurately describes.

We have been cold called by eBay attempting to get us to enroll in the Global Shipping Program and we told them we will not voluntarily participate now or in the future.

We also informed them that if eBay makes GSP mandatory at some point in the future, they should expect this Top Rated Powerseller to close their store and pull their listings the day the mandate becomes effective.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 25 14:16:17 2013

I recently have had ONE problem in all of the years I have been shipping International--via ebay and privately and for other business' interests.  And of COURSE this was with a fairly low dollar value ebay transaction.

The country is NOT one that you can even GET  so-called" Proof of DELIVERY" as ebay is NOW demanding.   Of course this is via USPS.

According to the first pair of CSR Supvs I spoke to the "Customs number" was ENOUGH to prove delivery.  Um=---I wondered about that but they BOTH assured  me of this.

When the customer filed a case--(which  the ebay CSR told me to ENCOURAGE!!!!)  I was THEN told by a different pair of CSR/Supvs that the Customs Number was NOT sufficient and that ONLY some sort of "Signed for delivery confirmation proof" was acceptable--and that I should be resigned to losing with ebay and ever seeing the item or the money and my Feed back recover from this!

How--friendly!

This was on the SAME day that I got the "Persuade your FRIENDS to sell on ebay and we will give you $200!!!!"  screed.

Um===really?

I don't trust ebay never have never will but this has gone WAY beyond trust.  I mentioned to the Supv on my second call that I suspected that even IF I had sent this with the GSI it would NOT have been reported as "Received" and then where would I be?  HE didn't HAVE an answer for that.  And he seemed right jolly to be lording it over me on this!!!!  Having way TOO much fun at a sellers expense.  IT is a shame.

And NOW ebay wants us to=what???--throw MORE items and money AWAY on "Global Selling" that THEY won't back up?

Where the ONLY "protection" is if we REFUND?????

Seriously???????

by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 27 17:00:47 2013

Do Chinese sellers pay a fee on shipping or do they get a great subsidized deal from our post office, with tracking, and we sellers SHOULDER THE COST with increased rates- where is the ''international tracking'' to ''many countries'' the PO promised us when they raised the rates?????

The US postmasters name is also DONAHOE- these JERKS are not RELATED are they- LOL?

(I ask for the record- is the head of the US Post Office- MR. Donahoe, related or in any way connected to John Donahoe at ebay by family- this would be a HOOT).
Wouldn't that be something?
MH

by: downunder This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 8 00:14:34 2013

eBay and Global Shipping Program - what a disaster!  From a buyers point of view - I purchased a very hard to get item from a reputable eBay seller who has a 100% Feedback rating.  He shipped it to Erlanger in KY(GSP's shipping point).  Tracking via UPS Ground was 100% but once the heavy large package was received by GSP the tracking became meaningless and only after a number of late night telephone calls to eBay and being put through to GSP I now discover the package is lost - come on how do you lose a package that size?  More probable stolen by the firm who claim to specialize in International Shipping?  Their solution ''make a claim for full refund''. This seems to be the easy way out rather than making a concerted effort to find the package.
I think this shipping method could be good but the implementation is poorly executed and supervised.  These are my observations but I will be happy to be proved wrong.