Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Fri Mar 29 2013 22:23:30

eBay Requires PayPal for Listings with Local Pick up Only?

I need to VENT! Tonight I attempted to list, on eBay, a set of 4 bulky chairs with "Local Pick-up only". I removed the checkmark from the "Paypal accepted" box and added a checkmark on the box for "Pay on pick-up."

After completing the rest of the description and adding pictures I clicked "continue" and got the following "error" message:

To list this item, you'll need to choose at least one approved electronic payment method. - Learn more about the eBay Accepted Payments Policy.

So, I followed the link and read the entire eBay Accepted Payments Policy, and found nothing to conflict with my listing. Then I called eBay "Customer Service."

Well, I just spent over a half hour on the phone with an ebay CSR who, after reviewing my listing, talked to his supervisor - for quite a long time - then came back and told me I should just go ahead and check the PayPal accepted box and the listing would go through.

I explained to the CSR that I didn't want accept PayPal since the buyer would be picking the chairs up locally which meant that they would see them firsthand before purchasing them and would accept them before paying in person for them.

I know that if I accepted PayPal, and the buyer picked them up locally, the chairs would be out of my control and the buyer would have the opportunity to change his mind, or something worse, and get his money back through eBay or PayPal even though he had already accepted them in person. To me, it does not make sense to ever accept payment from PayPal if an item is offered for Local Pick-up only.

The CSR referred me to the Accepted Payments Policy page. Which I read back to him and asked him where it said I had to accept PayPal if I was offering Local Pick up only? Eventually he told me to click the link to the "Listing categories" and that the category in which I was listing the chairs was not among those "Listing categories."

I pointed out that on that page under "Restricted" (methods of payment) it listed: Bank to bank transfers, Checks, Money orders, Online payment services(listing several), and then below those methods is the phrase:

These payment methods may be used only in certain listing categories. See the full list of categories that allow bank-to-bank transfers, checks, money orders, and online payment services. -Nothing about "Payment on pickup" Or Local pickup only.

I then pointed out that no where else on the page did it restrict "Local pick up only" or "Payment upon pickup" to the "Listed categories". I told him my listing even used the correct phrasing regarding Payment on pick up as shown on the Accepted Payments Policy page below where it listed Sellers aren't allowed to make statements like... it then reads:

There's only one exception: Sellers who offer payment upon pickup may include the following statement in their listings: "Contact me for payment methods to pay on pickup."

He said he also sold items on eBay and he understood what I was saying (do they all say that now???), and that if I would just check the PayPal box the listing would go through. Then if someone paid through PayPal, I could contact them and return the money to them. My though was - why offer it if you are not going to accept it?

He then suggested that if I wanted to list the items in one of the "categories on the list" it would go through. I said if I did that I would be in violation of another policy of putting an item in the wrong category. He agreed that would be a violation of the policies. Then he suggested I use the "Tell us what you think box" to suggest that eBay edit the Accepted Payments Policy page to read that the Local Pick up and Payment upon pick up also applied to the categories on the restricted list! Like we need more restrictions!

I explained, in so many words, that eBay should honor what is written in their policies and couldn't someone over-ride this restriction so I could list this item as written, and of course he said no one could. Brick wall!

So, I did not list the item tonight. Now, I must tell you, I had previously attempted to list this same item the same way, on eBay, and back then the CSR told me I had to offer PayPal and Shipping in case a buyer wanted it that was not local and wanted to arrange for pick up by a moving service. I did list it, as suggested, that time and the item did not sell so I thought I would try again tonight in hopes that things would turn out better the second time around. Not a chance.

This is just another example of why selling on eBay is not fun anymore.

Say what you mean-mean what you say - that's my policy! Don't you think that eBay should stand by their own written policies?

I feel much better now that I have let off some steam! Thanks!
Your long time reader, and occasional writer,
G.

eBay Requires PayPal for Listings with Local Pick   eBay Requires PayPal for Listings with Local Pick
by: PowerSeller2007 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 29 23:50:57 2013
Charge $10k USD for shipping but Free Local Pickup.  I wonder if that would solve the problem.

Stupid ebay bot would love a  $10k USD shipping tag thinking it could get 12% fvf on that.

Who knows, JD might like the chairs and actually pay the $10k for shipping thinking EXACTLY like the ebay bot above.
by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 30 06:01:52 2013
Try Craig's List. Sounds like a better fit.
This user has validated their user name. by: Nolle

Sat Mar 30 06:14:03 2013
@RCL - that's exactly what I was thinking!

Why use ebay to sell something for local pickup only - which means you are excluding 99% of the buyers on ebay who do not live near you.

I recently bought my kid a car off Craigslist - the owner had been trying to sell it for a month on ebay - he got 1 call.  He put an ad on CL and got over 10 calls on the first day.  I bought it on day 3 as the 6th person to see it (and 1 of 4 that offered to buy it).

IMHO, never use ebay for local sales.  That's not where people look.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Mar 30 10:38:16 2013
Years ago I won an item from a gal who lived close to Disneyland, which I go to almost every weekend, so I asked if I could pick up the item from her to save on the postage costs. Since the auction ended mid-week, I asked if I could PayPal her the money, and then pick up the item on Sunday (so as not to delay her payment). She said no, if I was going to pick up the item, I had to pay in cash, because if I paid through PayPal, and she didn't ship it, I could then say that I never received it and demand my money back since she would have no proof that it ever left her house. I'm not a scammer, but I understood her concern since she didn't know me, so I paid her when I picked up the item. The fact that the OP couldn't disable "PayPal accepted" sounds like eBay is enabling more fraud from buyers.
by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 30 10:47:40 2013
Actually, you are not allowed to accept Paypal for local pickup at all, that is something not allowed by Paypal.

on-learn-more

When
you are not covered:

Items are picked up locally or delivered in person.
   You sell services, intangible items, or digital goods.
   You receive multiple payments for the same item.
   You've received a claim or a chargeback, and the shipped item is found to be significantly different than it was described.
   Example: You describe a new laptop, but send a used one.
   PayPal Direct Payments
   Virtual Terminal Payments
   PayPal Business Payments
   Items that are not shipped to the recipient shipping address on the transaction details page. If you originally ship the item to the shipping address but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.

As you can see you can not use Paypal at all when you are not shipping the item on your own account.  You cannot even accept Paypal and ship on the buyer's account. I talked to Paypal on the phone about that, they said ''Don't do it''.

I have had the same exact discussion with Ebay that you had, I could not list an item without Paypal, and I could not accept Paypal on that item.

There is no solution to conflicting rules. Ebay cannot demand you accept Paypal if Paypal says not to.

FWIW, I am able to list items with local pickup and with Paypal unchecked.

We do take credit cards or cash locally.  I thought they had fixed this problem based on my discussions with them.
by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 31 12:00:23 2013
List it on Craig's List and make sure you arrange for a time when other people will be with you when the buyer comes over.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sun Mar 31 15:39:46 2013
eBay is making it perfectly clear... They demand they have the opportunity to profit from every point of the transaction, listing, final value fees and PayPal fees.

Clearly, their written policy should not prevent you from listing your chairs, but eBay has seen to it that their system does.

And the worst part is that eBay does not care... after all, what are you going to do....sue them? They prevented that with the change to their user agreement, so if you did not opt out of forfeiting your rights by their deadline, you have no recourse what so ever.

As your chairs are available for local pick up only, you do not need the national and/or international exposure your listing will get on eBay.

As others have said, eBay is telling you they do not want your listing, so go ahead and list your chairs on Craigslist and cut eBay out of the transaction entirely.
by: agingmama This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 31 23:53:03 2013
I use ebay Classifieds...it is free...have sold many large bulky items on it...
Try it you may like it
www.ebayclassifieds.com
by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 00:15:39 2013
I ran into this last month and the Ebay Rep told me to click on the box that I take credit cards and then go ahead with my description. That way the buyer knows they have to pay upon pick up with cash. Hope that helps. Also do realize that you need to get a signed receipt that they accept the item and have received it. That won't cover all the possible things that can wrong with a sale but it will cut down on them.
by: feline This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 02:57:00 2013
The policy has been forced in the UK for the last 5 years. In that time endless have been scammed especially on ipads and similar items.

Although there is no buyer protection now on motors and Paypal is not compulsory in that category one was scammed in a chargeback before Christmas last year £3500.

If the seller refuses Paypal they can be reported for nonperformance.

On the boards any person who tells a buyer  to accept cash on collection without stating they cannot refuse Paypal  can be reported too. The person who introduced  the compulsory policy in the UK told users if they offered the buyer tea and biscuits when they arrived to collect it was unlikely they would be scammed.

We have been promised for over 5 years  that Paypal were working on a solution to the problem  we are still waiting
Just one more example of Paypal squeezing the last drop
by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 07:55:38 2013
To be protected against paypal fraud you have to have an electronic delivery confirmation to show the item was actually delivered to the buyer...if the buyer pickes up he can file an item not recieved claim and without electronic proof paypal will refund the buyers money and the seller is out the money and the item.  Paypal will not accept an actual signed reciept made in person.  BEWARE!!!  It has happened a lot.
by: KathleenJohnson This user has validated their user name.
Mon Apr 1 08:06:00 2013
1. Actually, I understand why eBay would require the funding to go through their system. It protects both the Seller and the Buyer to some degree.

2. eBay is not set up for cash transactions for all the obvious reasons. I agree with that policy myself.

3. Craigslist, on the other hand, is a perfect medium for selling the type of product you are offering. Of course, along with Craigslist comes the ''worst of the worst'' at times and I have dealt with that as well. Every scam known to God and man working through their ''texts'' despite my adds stating ''Please do not text me or the price will double''. But, when it works - it works well once you learn how to weed out the nonsense.

4. So many of us know have Square and other handheld credit card readers to use at Art Market. They also work for online ''local'' sales.

Not all listings ''fit'' on eBay and sometimes we spend too much energy trying to change eBay rather than get outside our ''comfort'' zone and try other routes to a successful sale.

by: Piggys This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 10:31:06 2013
if they pay paypal & pick up item I always have my customers sign a statement that item is as described & they are happy with sale. That seals it the buyer cannot file dispute, its legal, have a witness sign to if that makes you fill better. if anything happens with a scammer buyer & paypal gives money bak you can file small claims court. what buyer signs stands up in court
by: Piggys This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 10:36:22 2013
also everyone try ebid.net, much cheaper & friendlier auction site, it is going to be the one to put feebay out of buisness
by: Gina This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 15:41:35 2013
Quite simply, ebay doesn't get paid for local pick up listings which are cancelled after the item is paid for and picked up!
This is a no-brainer!
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 15:50:52 2013
I was trying to buy CHICKENS a few weeks ago on CRAIGSLIST and was kinda--shocked--that the seller would NOT give me his ADDRESS!  Now--I dunno 'bout you but--I kinda NEED an address to go to to PICK UP the advertised item!

Now I know that CL can have it's moments--and I have used it for both buying and selling---but----

This Cloak - N - Dagger approach---"Check under the mailbox at the corner of Elm and Main!"  "This tape will self destruct in 30 seconds!"  was a bit--unusual.

Now I did manage to eveutually get my directions--and a few chickens--but it did give me--pause.

I have had several things picked up by ebay buyers--not ness huge things just where people realized that they lived locally to me--and have also done the opposite.  No problems.  I have also delivered ebay items I have sold when I have been going to the location.

But really--If I was going to LIST something too bulky to ship easily on ebay (and I ship large things all the time!)  I would def do a CL or the "Local Shopper Paper" route looong before I would try ebay's whack job systems.

I guess it depends on the rarity of the items--if these are just say a set of lain old wooden kitchen chairs--CL for them!  If they are a set of Shaker Ladderbacks in priceless tiger maple--not so much and the buyer can arrange to accept MY delivery companies date AND my chosen form of payment.

As for cars==ebay is NOT the venue of choice unless you live in a metro area and can COUNT on getting LOTS of views and calls from people right in your neighborhood.  Or have something that is so rare that it needs this kind of exposure--and then there is HEMMINGS and the blogs for those rare models.
by: rebecca7 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 1 19:00:59 2013
Weren't all the eBay execs just at a big shindig bragging about how smart they are to be pushing eBay into LOCAL commerce?

It seems they only meant local transactions where these executives can DICTATE EVERY NITPICKING DETAIL to ensure that every transaction produces the biggest possible boost of eBay's own power and profits.

by: feline This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 2 05:37:46 2013
@KathleenJohnson

There is no protection for sellers paid with paypal and collected in person. There is limited protection only now for buyers on items collected and only on a case by case basis
The only winners  are ebay /paypal  screwing additional fees no other reason. Its a foolish seller who accepts paypal on collected items  especially ipads iphones etc  there is a trail of sellers scammed on these items  all over the boards.

Letters Blog Recent Posts