Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Tue May 29 2012 12:19:02

Listings Not Show up in eBay Search Results

By: Reader
Ebay has today a special FREE listing again (letter dated May 16th). So I started working, Just had finished yesterday the other FREE listings for the stores only.

By accident I was looking at the listings from yesterday and wow what a disappointment. I worked sooo hard to list 350 items, but when I checked 3 products with a total of 22 listings, only 5 showed up in eBay's search result.

No wonder that I was wondering why I didn't sell a lot lately. How often did that happen before?

I tried to see, if I could contact ebay, but all what I found is a phone # which is only available until 10PM. So my listings end now, without that anyone can see them??!!

I am selling time-sensitive products. Which a lot of times doesn't allow a relisting because of the short expiration date. I am wondering if you heard from others, and if there is a way that you can influence eBay.

When they have the special FREE listing days, I can't always check 200 to 400 items, if they actually can be searched. I always receive an email, that the items are listed, they also show when you search by item number, but NOT when you search by title. Which customer will search for item number????

I also tried to find a contact for technical emergency, but could not find anything!!! Really lovely contract partner, promises broken but monthly fees taken.

Thanks for reading and have a wonderful day.
V.

Listings Not Show up in eBay Search Results   Listings Not Show up in eBay Search Results
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue May 29 13:58:10 2012
--- ''I can't always check 200 to 400 items, if they actually can be searched.''

Don't blame yourself, OP. Although some may consider it to be a good business practice to check, double-check, and verify that your listings are actually visible... it's just not a practical thing to do.

And sellers should not be EXPECTED or REQUIRED to get involved in such a time-consuming and tedious process.

Even after receiving a confirmation email... when a seller does discover that one listing, or a dozen, or a hundred listings aren't being displayed... there appears to be no recourse to remedy the situation. --- That is, unless the seller wants to spend even MORE time trying to reach someone at eBay who cares, or who understands, or who has the ability to actually do something about it.

Next, the seller must spend an extraordinary amount of time on the telephone trying to convince a minimum-wage under-trained phone rep that something is wrong... and an equal amount of time trying to chase-down a refund.

But in the case of ''free'' listings, I suppose this makes it easier for eBay to justify their actions when they look away and do absolutely nothing.

Whether the listing is free... and especially if it's a paid listing, eBay does have an obligation to make certain that their product works as its intended.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 29 23:11:33 2012
Free listings aren't given for the purpose of selling anything.

Their purpose is to bloat numbers for Wall Street.

According to the ebafia user agreement, they're under no obligation whatsoever to give any listing visibility.
by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 00:08:26 2012
I have found dozens of times, this year that when I use Ebay's search engine to look for an item, there are none on Ebay. Then I go to Google and lo and behold there is the same item  or most times items, on Ebay that I was looking for. I haven't figured out why I have to go outside Ebay to find something on Ebay, but I figure it has something to do with their featured sellers. Their search engine is so full of their preferred sellers that it is overloaded and so puts the small seller on the zero visibility list.
by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 00:12:46 2012
I always ignore Free Listing days. Just another useless eBay gimmick.
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 00:14:18 2012
SOOOOO glad that TIFFEE mentioned this--the exact thing happened to me this week while researching something.  I couldn't find the item on FleeceBAy but there it was as a Google link to---FleeceBay.

Hmmmm...

When I went BACK to ebay and searched---nope.  Nada.

Wonder what black hole MY listings have vanished into.

Probably right next door to the one I was searching for.

And ya gotta luv the disclaimer from Motors that your item may take up to EIGHT HOURS to show up.  I might add---if it EVER shows up at all.
by: vero This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 00:24:00 2012
============================

can you tell me where I find this paragraph.

Thanks !!!!!!

If this is correct, for what do we pay ebay????
by: Ebay_roadkill This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 02:34:02 2012
I can't tell you how many times in the last year I've searched on ebay, going into the different catagories where each shows it has x amount of items, yet when I click on it, they may only show half of that x amount.
I've even sent them emails, as a buyer, no less,  questioning this & never received a reply.
I have to agree with the poster who said the free listing is a way to inflate the numbers for the shareholders. What I can't figure out is why use this practice when the search is for antiques, there aren't that many on eBay any more anyway.
by: GetOverIt This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 08:54:57 2012
3 products with 22 listings sounds like a duplicate listing issue to me.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 31 09:56:38 2012
I know that it is popular to blame the days we have Free Listings for all the problems with the searches and visability.  But it is NOT the issue.  Let me stress that again, it is NOT the issue.

There is a clear problem with the search on Ebay and it's been going on for a long time.  But it has gotten worse since the last week of April.  It's a huge problems.  It doesn't have to be a free listing day, I've personally seen where some of my listings do not show up in a search for a couple DAYS after I post it.  I've had things up for auction for a week that had no views before it closed.  Things that ALWAYS at a minimum have a handful of views even if it doesn't sell.

So I suggest that you take a closer look when you post on regular days.  This problem is NOT related to free listings.  I've reported it to Ebay and I've been told many others have as well.

Whatever is going on, it is costing sellers real money, but it also has to be costing Ebay because if we aren't selling, they aren't earning.
by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 31 12:54:21 2012
You can be CERTAIN that GSI LISTINGS are being seen!
Thats whats going on here- and where ebay is makeing its profits- GSI ITEMS ARE SELLING LIKE WILDFIRE and we folks who BUILT ebay have been thrown under the bus.
Mass. Howler
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 31 13:05:54 2012
@massachusets

What's the proof that this is happening?  I have a couple different things I sell on a regular bases that are NOT sold by any diamond seller.  And Diamond sellers do not sell in every category, so what's happening there?

I understand your anger but logically speaking this can't possibly be the reason for what is going on.  It's just not that simple.
by: Wax Monster X This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jun 5 22:40:36 2012
Call me stupid but only in the last 6 weeks have I really noticed the "rolling blackouts" and location only sales. Sales disappeared around mid April. This was a big tip-off after a "healthy" 1st quarter.

So I devised a test utilizing friends and business associates from around the world. We deal in import items, so I've got the connections.  I gave them each a list of 5 items and asked them to check the items on Ebay throughout the day for 7 days. The territories were Canada, UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan and Australia.  The results were quite disheartening. We had sales in Canada and Australia during the test period but little to none in the other areas. And who do think reported the visibility of our items. That's right! Canada & Australia had all 5 items most consistently found.  No sales in Japan and concurrently 0 items found. The other areas were hit and miss.  We will be testing US visibility soon as we just had 9 sales in 2 days to Tennessee! WTF?

This has left us with one simple question:

WHAT THE F**K ARE WE PAYING FEES FOR!

I'm not a legal professional but I do believe that it is high time for the Ebay thieves to be brought to trial for this blatant theft. There must be someone behind the Ebay iron curtain who knows that the "tap-on-tap-off" method of visibility is an actual and provable fact and is willing to "spill". Do they murder all disgruntled employees?

This is one of the best class action lawsuits I can smell. C'mon there must be an attorney / Ebay seller who has had enough and can dig up this dirt. How about a nice renegade REAL reporter. Someone who would love a Pulitzer to break down these b******s and expose their fraudulent business practices. Maybe a hungry DA would like to get a little notoriety. Someone!!

We've hung in there for longer than we should have, but the time is drawing to a close. We sell on 7 other sites but in the past Ebay was the only one with any real action. But now! If we are not being seen. Why bother? The other selling sites need to pull their thumbs out their a***s and make their move. Now!

Glad I found this blog as I have some really remarkable stories to tell regarding Feebay.

Stay tuned. You won't believe it!!
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 5 22:48:04 2012
@waxmonster

Very good stuff.  You sure put a whole lot of effort into that.  While I certainly agree that this is pathetic and even criminal, I personally can's see how we can file a class action.  That takes proof, and we just don't have it.  Without it, we are only guessing.  While it is a well placed guess, it's a guess nontheless.

If you have time, write Ina or David here on ecommercebytes with your findings.  They are very good findings and maybe with those in hand they can get more information.  It's worth a try.

My sales fell off the cliff starting the last week of April.
by: icebbs This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jun 15 23:47:42 2012
Want to know if your auction is visible? Ahh I shouldn't be giving this away but list your item using good key words then use www.AutomatedSearches.com to search for auctions or BIN with exact keywords you used in the price range yours is in. Not only will this show you that your listing is searchable, but it will also show you competitor listings so that you can quickly compare price/shipping etc and you can go modify your listing.
Also, if your not a ''top rated seller, or Above average seller, your stuff may or may not show up in ebay's search generation like it would if you were an ebay prefered pet.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat Jun 16 02:35:38 2012
@icebbs

To blame sellers for Ebay's rules is so ridiculous. Which is exactly what you are doing by the statements you've made. To insinuate that just because you are TRS or an Above average seller that you are somehow "an ebay prefered pet" is just pathetic and so very untrue.

It certainly shows that you do not understand completely how the program works.  I'm confident you feel that you do, but your words speak for themselves.

Letters Blog Recent Posts