Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Mon May 21 2012 19:58:33

eBay Offers Seller Superior Customer Service

By: Reader
I've been selling for over 11 years, ship over 650 packages a month, and have a 99.9% positive FB. I take my customer service and feedback very seriously.

Some people are very quick to criticize eBay and customer support, however I have usually found their support to be helpful, and I want to share a recent situation where eBay's customer support was superior.

It's a long story, but when an international customer threatened to leave Negative FB, I immediately called customer support. EBay's support person (Ruben) could see the correspondence between me and the customer and the threat by the customer. Ruben said that because this threat was an "intent to disrupt" and possible "FB extortion," he could put a note on the file that the FB would be removed it the buyer ended up leaving Neg FB. GREAT!

After further discussions, he offered to CREDIT my seller fees by $15 so I could pass that back to the customer to get the item returned (no out of pocket to me or customer!). Ruben reiterated that it was the buyer's responsibility to pay for return shipping, but an offer like this may make the whole situation go away and make everyone happy. He also advised my about wording back to the customer to keep the situation from escalating.

I think there are 2 key elements to these success stories. One is to immediately contact eBay. Even before the customer leaves FB and, the second is to tell CS how you want to provide the customer with the best experience possible experience and ask for their support and advise. It's a much better way to start the request for their help.

This is the second time I've gone to eBay's support to get Neg FB stopped/removed. Both times I've started with a good attitude (even though I was shaking with rage). He complimented me on my attitude and admitted that made him more willing to help me.

I hope this may help a seller or two stay positive and know that bad buyers can be dealt with in a constructive way.
L.

eBay Offers Seller Superior Customer Service   eBay Offers Seller Superior Customer Service
This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon May 21 20:41:19 2012
Like my grandfather always used to say, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon May 21 21:59:35 2012
Wow! Congratulations, OP! This turned out unbelievably well for you. You're very lucky, and I wish that stories like this were normal, instead of the rare exception.
by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 23:03:05 2012
Are you sure it was Ebay you called?
by: innerpuppie This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 09:54:04 2012
''He complimented me on my attitude and admitted that made him more willing to help me.''

Uhm, your attitude should have nothing whatsoever to do with the level of customer service you receive. Yes, it's good to be nice and polite, in all things and in all ways; however, eBay has policies and whether you are being a cutie patootie to a CSR or are very upset, they are to put those things aside and act on the information and the facts and eBay policies.

Sellers have enough troubles keeping their customers pleased and with all of the eBay glitches they've had to endure lately - sales dropping, no search. They don't need to put on their 'happy hat' when they phone up an eBay CSR. What happens to the guy who sings a sweet song but still gets shafted by the CSR who 'helps' them? Is that seller to think that he or she should have been nicer and sweeter and MORE sing-song?

Being professional - on eBay's  part and on the part of the Seller is what should take place. Not a popularity contest where the CSR CHOOSES to help because he or she felt you were 'nice'.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 10:42:12 2012
OP -- when there is clear and I do mean really really clear evidence through Ebay emails that they buyer is threatening you or holding you hostage somehow, Ebay does react and will support the seller.  This I've experienced many times helping other sellers as well as myself.  But the words the buyer uses in the emails has to leave little to nothing to the imagination.  If it is foggy in any way, Ebay will NOT help the seller in the way they helped you.  You got very lucky and the buyer put it into writing for you.  That was your savings grace.

Yes it is always important to treat your CSR with respect.  If you find you have a CSR that you just can't do that with.  Make up some polite excuse and get off the phone with them.  Gather yourself and call again.  Repeat as necessary until you get to someone you feel you can relate to.  Remembering to treat them with respect.  Your goal is to make them WANT to help you.  In doing so, you will get a much better result.

While innerpuppie has a very valid point that one should have to do this to get good customer service, it is a fact of life nontheless.  CSRs are just mere mortals too.  With feelings and emotions just like the rest of us.  If you are just going to yell at them, all they are going to want to do is get away from you.  Why do that unless your only goal is to vent.  If you want to get your problem solved, then check your emotions at the door before you call.  Keep to the facts, stay on target and be respectful.  It will get you much further in life and closer to your goal most times.

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 10:55:56 2012
I assume people here realize that eBay has multiple call centers?

I don't know the exact criteria, but sellers in the top few percent get their calls answered almost immediately and I usually get what I ask for. We no longer have high volume or high sales, so it's got to be based on overall history.

The people who report long hold times and little help must be routed to a different call center.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue May 22 11:04:21 2012
@exdwh

I think most sellers are very much aware there are multiple call centers.  The best one in my opinion is in Utah.  With that said, what you state is not necessarily true.  While certainly Ebay leans towards it's diamond sellers, but I have no personal knowledge that they get everything they ask for.  Knowing Ebay the way I do over the past decade, I find that very hard to believe.  Ebay is extremely arrogant in it's management style.  You can assume that they do whatever their Diamond sellers want, but I for one would doubt that seriously.

Your closing statement "I agree with others that you still need a decent case to get action. You may also need to call more than once. Few eBay promises become reality without nagging."  Is so VERY VERY true.
by: innerpuppie This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 11:31:56 2012
Sadly, what eBay needs is to do is to standardize their rules and regulations and correlate those with the response one receives from ANY CSR. I've had good luck and bad luck and no luck at all whenever I've talked with a CSR - often about the same issue but about different customers and at different times of the day, month or year.

I realize that eBay 'thinks' they have a standard policy; however, they don't. Too much of what they 'say' is not what they 'do' and they leave the ultimate outcome up to a CSR (or supervisor) who may or may not use their subjective determination instead of being absolutely objective - much like their DSR questions and responses. Many a good seller has been 'dinged' for no other reason than USPS was slow to deliver which is totally out of their control.

But, bottom line, eBay is the Big Kahuna and if you want to play in their pool you have to put up with a little poopie floating by every now and then.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Tue May 22 23:10:38 2012
Stockholm Syndrome Much?

WE are ebafia's customers, NOT vice versa.

Start acting like customers instead of beggars.
by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 23:14:33 2012
I would have to say you got very lucky. This is almost an exact scenario of what I just went through twice last month.
I always contact eBay before the buyer escalates etc and eBay said they had my back. I was threatened by a buyer to leave negative feedback and THEY were in the wrong. I had proof including pictures and including my listing... No one wanted to see my pictures or read the info I provided or the proof I had. In the end no one had my back and it was VERY upsetting; esp when I am a top rated power seller. eBay was very nice to me on the phone and like I say they said they had me covered. It took them less than 15 minutes once my seller escalated things to decide in the buyers favor.
The main proof I had was the buyers actual words admitting their wrong through our eBay email. Not only this but the buyer was going against my policy. eBay apparently didn't feel my policies mean anything either. So you got really lucky and found someone extra nice this time.
by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 00:03:53 2012
Well the hand full of times I have called eBay in 10 years,they have been more than helpful to me.Last week I got a 3 day vacation on one of the boards for telling off a troll. I emailed two separate moderators,very angry but polite  and vented my feelings. They actually answered my emails multiple times and we actually had an ongoing conversation. So even the mods are human and just trying to make a living. Now Donaho on the other hand? I won't post my feelings here as I would surly be banned for life here,LOL
by: spirit-of-shiloh This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 00:33:48 2012
PS
Thank goodness I have never received a neg in almost 12 years of selling.I did get a neutral several years ago. I looked and saw the buyer left almost ALL sellers neutrals. So I kindly sent her a request for revision and she left a positive. I think she thought neutral was good???:(
by: Arch This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 09:55:31 2012
Even a broken clock shows the correct time twice a day.
by: Carol This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 30 04:09:41 2012
Good grief - Where do these oh-so-negative attitudes come from?

I've had experiences similar to those the OP mentioned.  I've also experienced less than optimal customer service from ebay.

But - Before criticizing ebay (particularly in the scathing terms often found in posts on this and other forums), it's a good idea to ask whether there is ANY organization (INCLUDING YOUR OWN BUSINESS) that offers 100% superlative customer service.

As with every other business, it is unreasonable/naive to expect perfection of ebay.

No, I don't work for ebay.  But I do appreciate the opportunity they've given me over the past 14 years to earn a good living from home.

Letters Blog Recent Posts