Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Fri May 11 2012 09:08:37

Google Checkout Offers No Customer Service upon Account Closure

I have been using Google Checkout since they started, and the other day I got an email stating: We closed your account! WHY, nothing specific.

"Hello,
Your Google Checkout account ID: was recently reviewed by our payments specialists. As a result of this review, your account has been closed. Any pending, uncharged and future transactions made with this account will not be processed."

If this has happen to anyone, I'd like to know? I was happy with there service but NOW I'm sitting here wondering. Could this also happen with PayPal?
Thanks.
Signed,
John

***

Dear John,
I did a search on Google for "Google Checkout closed my account" and came up with interesting results, including Squidoo.com/google_checkout. I isolated search results to the past year, and got plenty of results too.

I sent an inquiry to Google asking why it closed your account and asking why there was no way for sellers using Google Checkout to communicate with customer service. Here is the response from Google spokesperson Nate Tyler:

"I can confirm that we after a close review we have in fact closed this merchant account. But, as a matter of policy I cannot share any details about this specific account. Other than to say that we consider a number of merchant account details including, but not limited to:

-Business model
-Products sold
-Inability to verify account details
-Buyer chargebacks, claims or poor ratings
-Merchant responsiveness to buyer complaints"

Note the spokesperson did not explain why Google offered no customer service to Google Checkout account-holders.
Good luck,
Ina

Google Checkout Offers No Customer Service upon Ac   Google Checkout Offers No Customer Service upon Ac
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 11 10:41:16 2012
Sorry to hear about what happened to you, John. I am very sympathetic to the dilemma you're now in.

One thing that's unclear to me... even though Google does not have any way to easily (if at all) communicate with a CSR, does Google communicate with the seller PRIOR TO such a drastic action?

Are sellers put on warning and given an opportunity to correct any mistakes or behaviors that ultimately lead to this outcome?

Even though situations like this are undesirable and painful... it's been my experience that such things rarely happen in a vacuum... and that the ''victim'' isn't completely unaware that the outcome was likely to occur.

In my case... it was my own negligence. My fault entirely. I knew the risks. I knew the consequences. But I chose to take my chances... I chose to delay and push the envelope. Still, I was shocked that those in charge would actually follow-through with their threats. And of course, my initial reaction was an indignant ''HOW DARE THEY DO THIS TO ME!?'' But ultimately, it was my fault.

Fortunately, I learned a valuable lesson. I was able to correct my mistakes (even if AFTER the fact) and I was able to prove myself and seek forgiveness and a 2nd chance.

Perhaps this is something that would be worthwhile for you to do as well, John. Keep poking around to see if you can find any contacts (email addresses, phone numbers) or even a snail-mail address to plead your case and to see if there's anyone who's willing to work with you.
by: memker This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 11 11:36:56 2012
Unfortunately this is how Google operates, zero customer service whatsoever. Not just checkout this also applies to all of their services. (gmail, picasa, blogger etc.)
by: StevenM This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 12 10:35:46 2012
I used Google Checkout for the first time this week. I did not know they would only pay-out once a month and after this transaction I will close the account.  People fuss about PayPal holding money until the sale clears and this is nothing different.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat May 12 12:45:09 2012
--- ''People fuss about PayPal holding money until the sale clears and this is nothing different.''

I had not heard about that. (I think that Amazon payments are the same way.)

But I can see an important difference between this and the way PP works.

Namely, that the PP holds are unexpected, and random, and for varying lengths of time. A Google payout of once-per-month should be something that's explained in the terms... and therefore, it shouldn't be unexpected to the sellers.

Even though it would be inconvenient and a bit annoying (for me anyway) this is something that the seller can anticipate and plan for... and something the seller can evaluate before making the decision of whether or not to accept Google checkout.

With PP, it's just an abrupt ''SURPRISE! We're holding your money now!!'' that would prove to be a major disruption when sprung-on the seller at a moment's notice with no warning at all.
by: Harriet This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 12 13:34:25 2012
I have Google Checkout. They pay out 3 days after the transaction. Perhaps the one month hold is for new merchants.
This user has validated their user name. by: Spartacus

Sun May 13 06:51:39 2012
As memker stated, Google is well known for zero customer service and snapcase decisions when closing accounts. Ask any Adsense publisher.

It's for this reason, I would never consider using any financial solution offered by Google.

As both Google and Paypal are poised to roll out mobile payment solutions, I am among many merchants who cringe at the very thought of these two clueless companies operating such services.

by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 13 18:41:33 2012
If Google offered any financial solution they would find we have laws and regulations about all that.

I suspect they already know, unlike those guys at ebay who are just ''winging it''.

Paypal is discovering this right now, as is eBay.

When you are handling other people's money you can't just do whatever you want.

Though I had a discussion with a guy from a state agency about this very matter and he seemed to think Paypal could just do whatever they wanted.

He and they will be learning different pretty soon.
by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 00:19:01 2012
I don't ever deal with Google. Websites that say sales will be made from Google search are lying. google has a million insane rules and standards and no way to find out what they are. And what is known about their rules on listings is nonsense.
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Mon May 14 09:30:29 2012
I've been using GCO for several years now and at this point have made over 1800 transactions through the site. Yes, there is a waiting time for new users for initial payouts and then every 2-3 days (depending on holidays and weekends) you get automatic payouts into your chosen bank account.

I have on other forums seen people complaining about GCO and its policies and of being shut down, and as Anonymoust Annie mentioned it seems to rarely happen in a vacuum. When you hear the whole story, you find that the seller is at least partially at fault, doesn't understand how to use GCO, etc. Yes, they could also use access to CS reps. but in the long run, this is not a bad source to use for payment processing. Other than the fact that I don't like PP tie to ebay, if it hadn't been for comments from others about how nasty PP is, I would never know that there had been problems there either. I have had at least 10,000 transactions through PP and never a hiccup. I know some sellers run into problems, but many times it is a joint problem between the sites and the seller/buyer in combination. I'm sure that there are many others of us that have used these sites with never a problem for many years. An isolated report isn't enough to think that the sky is falling or that someone who has never had problems needs to shut down their use of GCO just in case.
by: Will This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 14 15:13:24 2012
I've used Google Checkout for a few years, and never had payouts held. They appear in my bank account a few days after I confirm shipment. That said, sorry to hear this happened to the original poster.
by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 15 06:39:23 2012
I've used Google Checkout for a few years without incident. I have no where near 10,000 transactions but never had a problem. Of course, if I did, I already knew from other things (like the Google product feed) that Google, like eBay could give a tinker's dam about contact with me.. You can definitely see the arrogance of big business at work in all three companies.

Letters Blog Recent Posts