Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Sat Feb 18 2012 11:32:56

Why No Pushback on eBay's Failure to Credit Fees for Refunds?

I recently received a final value fee credit for a cancelled transaction that did not include a credit for the final value fee on shipping. eBay customer service said that they would put in a request to refund the final fee on shipping as a one-time event but made no promises about it being approved.

This is very unfair - has this been going on since the FVF on shipping was introduced? Please don't publish my name - I'd like to keep my TRS status.
Regards,
J.

Note from the Editor: In June 2011, eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff said eBay did not currently issue credits on partial FVF refunds but was looking into a long term solution. We've sent Johnna Hoff an email asking for an update on this policy.

In a subsequent email, the reader ("J") noted, "I read the article from June, however, they were referring to FVF refunds for overpayments on shipping. I would think that cancelled transactions, meaning unpaid items, returns, etc. are a much more common occurrence,...If the transaction is cancelled, for whatever reason, eBay keeps 10% of that. I can't believe there hasn't been any pushback over this."

Why No Pushback on eBay's Failure to Credit Fees f   Why No Pushback on eBay's Failure to Credit Fees f
This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Sat Feb 18 14:28:57 2012
eBay management's brow-beating of sellers has been so extreme and complete that sellers no longer have the energy or will to fight back for what is fair, and eBay has no intention of treating their sellers fairly unless sellers pursue eBay to get them to do the right thing.

The way eBay management has designed policies and systems, sellers are relegated to begging for what is fair and equitable treatment. No other reputable company I can think of operates in this manner.

eBay counts on these 'broken spirit profits' to bolster it's bottom line. Forcing sellers to appeal to eBay before receiving credits they should automatically be entitled to is just another in a long list of illicit tactic eBay management continues to employ in an effort to bolster their sagging profits.

by: jpv1234me This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 18 17:01:23 2012
eBay is supposed to be a funny company, but really it is a zombie company filled up with donkeys and turkeys (with all my respect to the donkeys and the turkeys)
by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 19 01:16:17 2012
seems they're grabbing pennies here and there wherever they can.  I know sales are down - I've never seen it this bad.  I have just 6 items up and for the past two days they've had only 1 hit among them!  If other sales are like mind I would say Ebay is desperate and grasping whatever it can however it can!
This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen
Sun Feb 19 05:52:48 2012
"Why No Pushback on eBay's Failure to Credit Fees for Refunds?"

I suspect that most eBay sellers recognise that the amount of effort required to get any consideration from eBay is simply too far out of balance to be even remotely cost effective.

eBay and PayPal are the two most clumsy, clunky, unprofessional and unscrupulous commercial entities on the planet, and the most despised; and that is undoubtedly why the eBay marketplace has been stagnant since 2008 when the “Pain from Bain” took the tiller, notwithstanding the chief headless turkey’s drive to get the big “brands” on board and turn eBay into some sort of online Westfield mall.

Don’t kid yourselves otherwise people, eBay has effectively commenced its journey down the gurgler, and PreyPal will be soon joining it once Visa’s V.me is up and running. The only real surprise is that Pierre and the rest of eBay’s board of directors have apparently not yet noticed.

eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking
by: tantalizingstitches This user has validated their user name.
Sun Feb 19 08:36:09 2012
I am surprised you even noticed. I just don't have the time to compare what they charge me vs. what should have been charged. I wish I did have the time.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun Feb 19 10:18:24 2012
Ric sums it up perfectly. Many sellers just don't have the time to spend chasing down a 50-cent refund. And even if they *did* have the time, it just doesn't make sense to spend an hour trying to get that money back. ~ For me, there are much more productive and and profitable tasks that I could be doing instead.

You're also correct, Ric, with your characterization of ''broken-spirit profits''. You can include me in that group. I'm tired of being outraged, I'm exhausted when it comes to trying to change eBay's unfair policies and incompetent procedures.

Obviously, eBay is aware of what's going on and how this works. They believe there is no incentive to make any corrections. Their myopic view is that ''broken-spirit profits'' are more valuable than the time and effort spent in correcting the situation. It's ''easy money'' that requires no effort, and which adds to their bottom line.

But this lazy approach is very short-sighted. It may indeed add a little to their bottom line. (After all, a little here... a little there... it all adds up over time.)

However, the ultimate result, is that they end up with more and more sellers who are becoming increasingly agitated and hostile toward eBay. Their sense of loyalty to the company and the venue is vaporizing.

Instead of being a partner, eBay has become an adversary. Increasingly, sellers abandon the venue... they become more aggressive in ''stealing'' (their own) customers ''away'' from eBay, and pursuing off-eBay sales at every possible opportunity.

For eBay, this short-term easy-money may look good on the monthly profit reports. But in the long run, this lazy approach ends up driving away more sellers.

It's also bad for eBay's public relations and how everyone perceives eBay. Surely they're aware that we aren't remaining silent about these things.

Even though I don't have time to spend an hour or more per week trying to get a ''one-time courtesy refund''... I **DO** have time to continually tell people about eBay's dishonest tactics.

Whether it's face-to-face, in casual conversation, or as a disgruntled seller posting on a blog... the word is getting out. Honest sellers are leaving, dedicated sellers are now lukewarm sellers (who, like me, now see eBay only as a way to grow their own websites).

More and more, the observant and intelligent buyers are aware of how crooked and incompetent eBay has become... and they also depart. --- This means that the *remaining* buyers are becoming in large part: 1) clueless PITA's, or 2) dishonest scammers.

Thus driving even MORE honest sellers away. It's a vicious cycle that appears to have no end.
by: jpv1234me This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 19 10:30:10 2012
Dear Anonymous Annie

I have to thank you because your comments are always so instructional and I enjoy a lot reading them…Thank you again!
by: Fruity This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 19 12:58:57 2012
go buy something from a china seller and then do a chargeback when its not as described. they're all not as described. Believe me you'll feel better knowing you just gave pp a chargeback. WHen someone takes from you and wont listen to reason then you just dig around their backyard and find your loot. lol
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Mon Feb 20 01:23:28 2012
Several times each month customers mention they want to sell part time on ebay.

I warn them away -- always. I tell them about the PayPal holds, the buyer theft, and ebafia's across the board dishonesty citing many examples.

I ALWAYS refer them to another site compatible with what they're selling that won't steal them blind.

Fact is that this failure to refund ebafia's percetnage of shipping fees is an example of not just incompetent or sleazy corporate behavior but CRIMINAL CORPORATE CONDUCT.

Calculated on an individual basis, the amount of money STOLEN from each seller is probably no more than a misdemeanor.

However, when calculated in the aggregate, this theft rises to the level of imprisonable felonies.

If corporations have the same legal rights as people, then it logically follows that every piece of ebafia property can be shot down and locked up.

EBAFIA: predatory corporatism at its worst.
by: Ebay Tool Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 13:52:14 2012
I had an issue this weekend on a ebay purchase. The buyer decided he used the wrong credit card and cancelled the purchase. The package was delivered the same day. I contacted Ebay (wait time 1 minute) I then contaced Paypal (wait time 3 minutes). After both calls the issue was resolved and Paypal returned our money. I also tried contacting the buyer (he called back after Paypal refunded our money)
In the end all was good for both me and the buyer.
Not sure if Paypal ate the money or the buyer paid up. . .
by: AC_in_Mich This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 15:21:33 2012
@ Ming

My only problem, as with many other people, is the lack of traffic at the other sites, including even Amazon.  I deal in older computer parts and did a quick comparison of a couple of search terms on eBay, Amazon, eBid, Bonanza and eCrater. I searched for ISA Sound card and EISA. Amazon had 10 times the listings and eBay 50 times the listings of the other three!  Searching for Commodore 64 eBay was actually beat out by Amazon, but that's due to the large number of books still out there.

So - where do I put my focus as a seller?

AC
by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 17:21:10 2012
Ijust checked a credit done TODAY (and some from the past week.)

THEY ALL included a credit for the shipping final vgalue fee.

Have any of the respondents actually LOOKED at their bill?

They are crediting the fee on shipping.

What is the issue here?

Keep in mind, if the item was an international sale, there is no fee on shipping.
by: HAD IT! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 20:32:45 2012
I sell A&C on the auction format so ebay is the only venue suitable for me.
I too, am extremely frustrated and see no possibility things will get better.
I too, have discouraged ''seller wanna be'' not to consider ebay. HOWEVER I do promote ebay to everyone at every opportunity to BUY on ebay. PLEASE promote ebay AS A GREAT PLACE TO GET DEALS. It is true and MIGHT help increase traffic for all of us.
by: Another Coin This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 20 22:13:27 2012
@frustrated

Ebay does charge a shipping FVF on international sales. It is based on the lowest US shipping fee.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Feb 21 10:05:34 2012
Knowing and understanding the rules would be helpful in this situation.  Ebay hasn't done anything wrong.  It's the lack of understanding of the policy that is causing the outrage.

If a seller has the need to do a "mutual cancellation" or file a "UID = Unpaid Item dispute".  Once those claims are closed, they do get a FVF refund on the price of the product, but NOT on the S&H portion.  And there is a very good reason for that.

Now it's important to remember that Ebay does NOT charge a seller the FVF on S&H until the buyer PAYS.  So since the buyer NEVER paid, the seller was NEVER charged the FVF on S&H and as a result of all that, Ebay NEVER refunded the seller for the FVF on S&H BECAUSE the seller was NEVER charged the fee in the first place.

So no need for concern on this one.  Ebay did not rip anyone off this time.
by: T&L This user has validated their user name.

Tue Feb 21 10:08:37 2012
As far as I can tell, EBAY does not charge the FVF on shipping until the item is paid for.  So an unpaid item will not be assessed a FVF on shipping.

Letters Blog Recent Posts