Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Photo Tips
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Mon Oct 29 2012 14:15:16

How Does eBay Define One-Day Handling Requirement?

By: Reader
I just got a notice from eBay that I had lost my top-rated seller status since during the lookback period, I had uploaded only 45 of 51 shipments within my stated one-day handling time. Since I've been working really hard on meeting that deadline, that was a bit of a surprise.

Looking at eBay's report of the 6 transactions that are counted against my top-rated status, here's what I found:

1) payment received at 22:20 on a Sunday; tracking number uploaded Tuesday morning.
2) payment received at 20:09 on a Tuesday; tracking number uploaded Thursday early afternoon.
3) payment received 16:55 on Sunday; tracking number uploaded Tuesday morning.
4) payment received 20:52 Tuesday, tracking number uploaded Thursday morning...
5) payment received 19:20 Friday, tracking number uploaded Tuesday afternoon.
6) payment received 11:08 on a Thursday; tracking number uploaded Saturday.

Ok, that last one's on me, but the rest... has eBay redefined "business day" to extend to midnight? Or include weekends? I didn't promise same-day shipping; I promised 1-day handling time, that is, NEXT business day shipping. By my count, 98% of my tracking numbers were uploaded within my stated handling time.

Anyone else have this issue? Is there some biz jargon by which eBay's evaluation makes sense?

I'll be calling eBay on my next business day, which is Monday.

Another eBayer fallen down the rabbit hole...
Cassie

How Does eBay Define One-Day Handling Requirement?   How Does eBay Define One-Day Handling Requirement?
by: rqtball This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 29 15:22:12 2012
Ebay has said many times if you get a payment on sunday you need to upload tracking # by midnight monday.

you uploaded tuesday morning....thus outside the handling time.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Mon Oct 29 15:24:08 2012
eBay has known problems in that their system is failing with some regularity to pick up tracking numbers of items which definitely were processed within the 24 hour time frame.

We confirmed this last week with eBay Customer Service, and were told it is a known problem.

In our case, we had several transactions which were processed through PayPal within an hour of when payment had been completed. A regular check of our My eBay page showed that instead of the tracking numbers appearing there was the usual link to add a tracking number.

When we clicked on the link, the tracking number was actually there, but eBay's system was not pulling it through and was not displaying it on our My eBay page.

That said, if sellers have items which they know were not showing up in eBay's system, those sellers need to call eBay Customer Service in order to protect their TRS status.

Sellers who are concerned about keeping their TRS status should first view their My eBay page, and if as described above you have a link to add a tracking number but the tracking number is already there, you must contact Peggy at eBay customer service and walk them through the problem for each effected listing.

We were told that eBay has made a note on our account for the existing transactions and we were advised to make sure we recontact them in the event there are additional items to protect our TRS status.

Sellers who are effected by this issue and who do not contact eBay will most likely find that they will have the effected transactions held against them.

Sellers with experience dealing with eBay customer service know how it is next to impossible to get them to go back and correct their data after the fact.

This makes it even more important for sellers to get out in front of the issue with eBay customer service for each and every effected item.
by: mylifeisgood This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 29 15:49:22 2012
So nice to not be jumping for the carrots. We get a payment on Sunday and upload tracking when we feel like it.

Sometimes its Monday sometimes it Tuesday and we still get our little bonus as we just increased everything by 5% to cover for the lost of 20% because we don't carrot jump anymore.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Mon Oct 29 21:16:11 2012
I'm still receiving the whopping 20% fvf discount... but based on my average sale, it saves me about 15-cents.

Considering all the hoops I must leap through in order to get that 15-cents, it's just not worth my time or effort.

Like others have stated, I have also STOPPED chasing the carrot on the stick. I just continue to do my level-best and to be honest and straightforward with my customers. NO MORE MARATHONS! NO MORE SUPERHUMAN FEATS!

If customers aren't satisfied with my ''ordinary'' professional best, then they'll move elsewhere (and that's fine with me).

If customers complain about receiving their item in three days instead of four, and if eBay punishes me or closes my account... that will be perfectly fine too.

At first I was afraid, I was petrified. Kept thinking I could never thrive without eBay by my side. I spent oh so many nights thinking how they did me wrong, but I grew strong, and I learned how to get along!

I will survive... hey-hey!
by: blaumann This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 29 23:59:15 2012
Oh the all knowing ebay. I lost my 20% discount. Thanks to ebay i don't notice since i have lost all my sales too. Thanks JD.
by: BookBrowzers This user has validated their user name.
Tue Oct 30 00:15:18 2012
This is from the TRS Requirements page at http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

Upload tracking to your buyer's My eBay within your promised handling time for at least 90% of your transactions with US buyers in the last 3 months. Details below:

Handling time is measured by business days. Weekends and holidays aren't counted.

For example, if you specify 1-day handling time and a buyer pays for an item on Tuesday, you have until 11:59:59 PM Pacific Time on Wednesday to upload a tracking number. For a buyer's payment on Friday, Saturday or Sunday a tracking number must be uploaded by 11:59:59 PM Pacific Time on Monday (or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday).

You have specified 1-day handling. That's what ebay goes by, and looking at the times you posted, each one was off.

Sorry, but now you know.
by: Abernathy This user has validated their user name.
Tue Oct 30 07:29:22 2012
Well, that's pretty funny. That's exactly the answer to the question of how eBay defines 1-day handling time, and it's bunk. Sounds nice at first glance, but bunk. eBay first says that "handling time is measured by business days. Weekends and holidays aren't counted." The casual reader could sail right through this, comforted by the understandable inference that eBay respects their small sellers' weekends and evenings. Note that "business days" are presented as units of measurement, as if eBay is accepting a standard usage and offering a fair yardstick. But eBay's "business days" in this case are anything but normal. Business days come with normal business hours, and and orders or messages that arrive after normal business hours, after the staff is gone, don't even hit the "in" box til AFTER the next business day starts. In real-world business days, orders that arrive after the staff goes home Friday don't officially arrive til Monday morning. Only at eBay does an order that arrives on Sunday get timestamped as arriving on Friday.
So eBay first says it measures handling time by business days. Then it completely and artificially redefines the "business day" as the entire calendar day, extending the business day right up to midnight and time-stamping anything that comes in. The seller can no longer close shop in the evening. How ironic that eBay's midnight deadline, supposedly set according to business days, is a shipping /reporting deadline. This deadline hits hours after any shipping counter has closed at the end of the real world business day, and hours before shipping for the next day can be processed. eBay's "business day" is not only artificial but also innappropriate to the seller's time zone. If eBay were really measuring handling time by business days, an order paid at 11:23 pm Friday night wouldn't hit the "in" box til Monday morning.
Given eBay's definition of '1-day handling', I have to wonder what their definition of 'same-day handling' is, and how they evaluate seller compliance. That's not rhetorical; I'd love to see what they have to say. eBay says top-rated sellers have to offer same-day shipping or 1-day handling/ shipping. By eBay's definition, it appears to be almost the same thing. A seller who offers 1-day handling in reality gets what—6 hours longer to ship than the one that offers same day shipping? Just curious.
Top-seller rating isn't just the 5%. It's the placement benefits and the savings on shipping, and those things add up.
by: MLG LLC This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 30 07:32:44 2012
eBay does not say you have to ship in one day it says you have to upload tracking in one day. I sat in a seminar back in april, the eBay people must have said a dozen times " you have to upload tracking in one business day" not once did they say you have to ship in one business day.  So if you get the orders Sunday and you cant ship until Tuesday just upload your tracking on Monday night.
by: MLG LLC This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 30 07:37:29 2012
The orders in question above. Tuesday orders need to be uploaded by Wednesday. Friday orders need to be uploaded by Monday. That is typically one business day.
This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Tue Oct 30 08:44:26 2012
You can upload a tracking # as soon as you can by entering "a number" like the item# in the tracking # & "UPS pending" in the carrier field.

After you get a real tracking number, just add an additional tracking # for that item.  It works & it is legal for the TRS 3 ring circus.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 30 09:33:59 2012
Simplify the way you look at it, it makes it easier to remember.  You must upload tracking the NEXT business day. So if payment arrives on Friday, make sure your tracking is uploaded by Monday.

OP is trying to complicate things.  It's NOT 24 business hours to ship.  It's uploading tracking the next business day.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Oct 30 10:48:29 2012
Is there any clarification on whose business day it is? Is it based on the seller's time-zone, the buyer's time-sone, or eBay's time zone?

Or does it even matter?
by: purplerose This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 30 11:55:14 2012
It is based on Ebay's time in Pacific Zone. Weekends and holidays are not included. It's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I am in the Eastern Time zone, so technically if someone pays Friday night by 11:59PST I have until Tuesday 2:59am EST to print my shipping label and I can make the date for Tuesday and ship on Tuesday. If they pay by Monday 11:59PST you have to upload by Tuesday 11:59PST and can ship on Wednesday. The Fast N Free and delivery times shown for buyers allows for that extra day.
I must say, I'm not spending as much time here, you guys are very negative about everything, anytime you've been given ammunition to complain about Ebay you take it to the next level, and believe me other places are noticing. All this energy would be better focused on other things.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Tue Oct 30 12:42:40 2012
-- ''...you guys are very negative about everything, anytime you've been given ammunition to complain about Ebay you take it to the next level, and believe me other places are noticing.''

Hi, Purplerose! The negativity you see does not spontaneously form from nothingness. It is a response.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by ''other places are noticing''? About whom are you referring?

Generally, when someone points out that ''others are taking notice'' it's intended to convey some sort of mild or gentle warning. It's a polite way of suggesting that if the undesirable behavior doesn't change, there will be consequences.

Can you elaborate on why we should be concerned that we've been ''noticed''?

Should we cool-it, pipe-down, and be on our best behavior?
by: Cloud This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 30 12:53:40 2012
It looks like to me in every one of those cases you uploaded 2nd day or later. One day handling means next day, not two days later. I'm not sure why you think it should be otherwise.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 30 14:46:08 2012
Time zones don't matter.  While I certainly don't like this darn rule, it seems to me that some are making it far more complicated than it is.

It's shipping the NEXT business day.  Plain and simple.  If you are paid on Friday, you need to upload tracking by Monday.  If you are paid on Sunday, you need to upload tracking by Monday.  If you are paid on Monday, you need to upload tracking by Tuesday.

Unless of course if there is a FEDERAL holiday.  It follows the USPS schedule for holidays.

The OP was trying to be too technical and complicate the issue.  It appears to me they thought that had 24 business hours to upload tracking.  And there is nothing in the Ebay rules that says that or even suggests it.

Simply put, it is NEXT business day.
by: Massachusets Howler This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 30 18:04:45 2012
Ebay has SAID for 1.5 years that holiday Mondays and Fridays do not count but ON MOST Monday and Friday HOLIDAYS they SCREW IT UP and the holiday DOES end up counting and IT IS A HUGE HOLIDAY MESS FOR SELLERS- They have not worked out this OBVIOUS problem so do not think or believe that you are safe on these holidays- ALWAYS upload a tracking number on those holidays- any long-time seller can confirm this- and these FOOLS think thay can manipulate search successfully???????
Mass Howler
THIS IS A GLITCH- I have emailed Ina DOZENS of times about this.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Oct 30 18:24:25 2012
Very true, they certainly have had holiday problems in the past.  And hopefully they stay in the past.  To my knowledge the last holiday went off without issue.
by: faraz This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 20 15:02:41 2012
Here is some advice for everybody. Please apply this daily to every single aspect of your life. Are you ready?
NEVER complain about anything that you are willingly  subjecting yourself to.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Nov 20 15:28:20 2012
@faraz

That's quite an assumption.  And you know what they say about assuming.........

It appears you have adopted the mentality of Ebay where one size fits all.  Forgetting that the sellers cover a large variety of cultures, financial situations, physical abilities, health, ages, etc.

Some people can not work outside the home for a variety of reasons.  And Ebay is a great way to earn some income.  Whether it is your main income or supplemental.

Ebay isn't all bad and just because we sometimes complain about stuff doesn't mean we should not sell on the venue.  ALL venues have room for improvement.

Hopefully you will open up your mind a bit and see that there is more than one type of seller on Ebay.

Letters Blog Recent Posts