Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Thu Jan 13 2011 11:47:52

End of eBay's Free Listing Promotion

To the Editor:
Didn't eBay's free listing price promotion end on 1/7/11? (With sooo many promotions, it is hard to keep track.)

What are they going to do now to generate traffic? It will be VERY interesting to see 4th quarter results from them and Amazon.

You have to believe without another promotion like the free listing that eBay will wither on the Chinese grapevine.
Keep me anonymous, please.

by: Rick1313

Thu Jan 13 12:16:38 2011
The year end buying rush is over.

I believe eBay only announces listing specials on a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (maybe Thursday?). Never on Friday to Sunday.

Least that is what I remember from when I paid attention to those announcements.

Next week may bring another one.

On the other hand, eBay's own analysis may show that early (all of?) January is not a good time for listing promos as it does not generate enough listings/sales to compensate for the lost auction-style listing fees.

The 100 free (@ 99 cents) for each non-store user id is still there to generate plenty of auction listings.
by: buck efay

Thu Jan 13 12:31:51 2011
I was just saying before that I think they'll wait a week or 2 now before announcing the next 100 free until..., in hopes some of you suckers might panic & PAY them for listings. Judging by the 8 bids so far on the last 100 freebies, I'm thinking I can wait until the next promotion. Which should be just around when Dunderho has to announce the earth shattering results of his 3 year plan of Destructive Idiotvation.
by: madeline

Thu Jan 13 13:03:33 2011
When is Ebay going to wake up?  Maybe they are making enough from their big sellers that they could care less about everyone else.  All I know, is that when I sell on Craigslist 1) there are no listing fees, photo fees, final value fees, and paypal fees. 2) Usually no gas and no postage involved. 3) Sometimes people come to my door and I don't even have to leave the house.  How much is enough Ebay?
by: Digby
Thu Jan 13 14:03:00 2011
@Madeline

Criags list is working well for you.
It would be hard for any site to match that!

Those of you looking for free listings should also consider ebid. Once you pay the one-off joining fee listings are free for ever.
by: debdoll

Fri Jan 14 12:25:54 2011
eBay's plan for free listings is too little/too late.  If you want a site that doesn't charge a listing fee, check out Bonanza.com.  This site has the best community ever and continues to grow by leaps and bounds.
by: uncle rico

Fri Jan 14 13:10:44 2011
@debdoll -

Having "the best community ever" does a seller no good. Sales are dead on that site.
End of eBay's Free Listing Promotion   End of eBay's Free Listing Promotion
by: Red Ink Diary This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 14 16:56:35 2011
@ uncle rico

Bonanza sellers who scrape their listings off eBay, don't clean them up, don't know how to add Google attributes and never check in to the site or refresh their listings don't make sales. This is true.

The rest of us are doing OK. I have seen an increase of sales from Bing recently, up from 7% in September to 15% in December.

It should be noted that the vast majority of Google buyers don't leave feedback, or communicate, all they want is a good price and get their item. Love them.
by: Digby
Fri Jan 14 17:00:12 2011
@Uncle Rico

(I agree with you that a vibrant community does not guarantee sales)

Sales on Bonanza may be dead for you, but there are some sellers that sell every day on there.

And the number of new listings and members and booths is growing every day.

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen
Fri Jan 14 18:41:34 2011
A current affairs TV show in Australia has just given eBay/PayPal a mauling.

Watch the slimy, shaven-headed, resident eBay “Trust & Safety” stooge, Alastair MacGibbon, proffer eBay’s disingenuous spin on the matter.

Where does eBay find all the necessary unscrupulous slime balls that are needed to fill the executive positions required to keep this criminal organization functioning under the radar of the corporate and consumer affairs regulators? Oh, sorry, I forgot, this is par for the course in the corporate world.

t-report/

eBay/PayPal/Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.
by: ron

Sat Jan 15 13:07:47 2011
still free as always on boocoo.com real auctions by time ending soonest. Not a lot of traffic yet but they are advertising. TV Radio and print.
by: Digby
Sat Jan 15 17:06:32 2011
Hi Ron,

I hope Boocoo do well.
But the number of listings they have is very low, and if they are advertising on radio, tv and print as you say they are, it goes to show that advertising is not the key to everything. Eg many people on Bonanza and Ebid have been asking for advertising, but they are growing with out it.
by: ron

Sun Jan 16 08:57:27 2011
Yeah Digby,

Bonanza and Ebid were in the game early on in the Ebay disruption when the first migration wave of disgruntled ebay sellers were leaving and heavy chatter on the ebay boards got the bonanzle and ebid names out there to the people that mattered.

I wish Boocoo was first because it's set up better than Ebid and Bonanzle doesn't have real auctions.

Being partnered with newsprint and TV should help Boocoo spread the word...I hope!
by: Karen

Sun Jan 16 17:21:13 2011

I just listed about 100 items on the last eBay listing freebie and sold 8 items with 3 npb.

Two years ago I would have sold 99 items with 0 npb.  I refuse to pay them to NOT sell my items!

Anyone that does... is crazy!

With the end of eBay free listings I am done listing there!

In an after-thought...

bet eBay offers the free listings again BUT will increase the fvf...

anyone want to bet on that one?!
by: AC_in_Mich

Mon Jan 17 07:10:17 2011
@Karen

No Takers on that bet!

After the dismal 4th quarter results soon to emerge this week, can you possibly imagine how bad the numbers will be for the first quarter if they don't come back with a free listing promo?
by: sayonara eBay

Mon Jan 17 14:54:30 2011
I don't think eBay will do another promotion before the annual report and the fallout from that.  They usually use the promos to jack up the revenue right before a quarterly report or when they see the listing numbers drop drastically.

I've been watching the listing numbers on PSU carefully since Jan 7th and the end of the latest 3 month promo -- they are falling every day by large numbers, but today the count is showing an almost 100,000 gain.

This of course means that sellers are once again paying for listings, but many sellers have been very successful this year on eBay, despite what we may read on different forums.

If and when the listings start dropping again after the Sunday list-a-thons, that's when you'll see a promotion.
End of eBay's Free Listing Promotion   End of eBay's Free Listing Promotion
This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon Jan 17 17:33:07 2011
I won't be listing much on eBay unless they offer more free any-start-price listings. If I offer items at $0.99 they'll sell at $0.99 and I won't make any money. In the past 6 months, I've only had 1 auction out of several hundred that garnered more than one bid. My sell-through isn't good enough to warrant paying for listings on eBay, so unless they do more free listings, I'll be focusing my efforts on other platforms.

I'm looking forward to trying out AtomicMall's new auction format. I've also started to make sales on Artfire, too. Bonanza is kind of dead. I get 10 times as many views on Artfire and 5 times as many on AtomicMall with the same amount of effort, so they'll be getting the bulk of my efforts. I'm sure some do well on Bonanza, but if you have to spend time playing games and gabbing in forums in order to make sales, then that's not for me.
by: Cathy

Mon Jan 17 23:43:44 2011
@Red Ink Diary, you say that people who scrape listings off ebay and don't add attributes don't make sales. I beg to differ, some items I had on ebay I transferred to Bonanza, never added attributes and made sales, when I did go to add new items with attributes, not one would show up in google shopping like they stated it was supposed to, but all the ones that I transferred from ebay or didn't add attributes would show up. Hmmm, what's up with that?
by: Cathy

Mon Jan 17 23:47:32 2011
@Tula, I agree about atomic mall, I think its great, easy to use, and have made sales, not a lot only because I haven't listed much. I am not sure about there auction format.
by: Rick1313

Tue Jan 18 09:47:56 2011
To sayonra's post...

Does the report you look at break down how the listings are formatted.

The 100,000 gain may not bring in any listing revenue for eBay as they may be mostly non-store sellers using the free 99 cent (100 items in a month) auction format.

Plus, as people are getting back from vacations and what have you, I would expect the listing numbers (and this applies to all venues) to start rising.

------------------

To Karen's post...

eBay is in a constant state of moving around their fee structure when it comes to promos.

If, as I suspect (and others have the same way of thinking), eBay wants to get away from listing fees, they will have to recoup that lost revenue source via increased FVF, cross promos, etc.

As I see it, most third party selling venues are charging no listing fees so eBay has to weigh if that is what they have to offer to keep sellers from leaving their site.

I should say, those sellers that eBay DOES NOT want to leave their site or reduce their eBay selling activity.

Another angle might be that, with no charged listing fees, then eBay can do all the cross-promo they want in a seller's listing as eBay states that it is really their listing (but not responsible for the content!?!?!) and so can manipulate it all they want.

Thirdly, and this is from a legal standpoint, eBay reduces their liability to sellers as, with no listing fees, sellers cannot file lawsuits claiming they did not get the exposure they paid for.

What happened in November of 2009 is a prime example of what I am talking about.

That fiasco cost eBay money. They refunded listing fees pro-rated to the ratio of how many listings a seller had running to how long they claimed the weekend near outage lasted.

Technically, eBay stated that they did not have to reimburse sellers anything as they posted a work-around ''fix'' that users could try and use to access sellers' listings and they have such a clause in the UA.

How eBay handled that whole affair and whether their claim is accurate is not suited for this thread.

The point is, eBay did not take any chance with NOT giving back sellers any partial listing fees refund.

If no listing fees where being charged, then eBay would not have to scramble and see how they would compensate sellers, even though claiming that they really didn't to do so in the first place.

Look at the current, just-settled lawsuit with eBay motors. From what I understand, eBay did not have the wording in their explanation of fees right and so sellers were going after them for not holding to what they were saying on their site literature.

Looks like they'll be paying $30,000,000 dollars while claiming no liability.

Even for a company the size of eBay,inc., that is quite an amount to be paying and claiming no liability.
by: Amateur ebayer

Tue Jan 18 22:04:23 2011
I use ebay sporadically to buy items, and occasionally to sell in the way you'd do a garage or yard sale. I mostly use Craigslist because it's 100% free. Free to list. Free to sell. Four free pictures.

Ebay takes a cut of the action THREE times with each transaction. First to list, then a piece of the sale, and then a piece of the payment on Paypal. This is ridiculous.

Why has no one enforced anti-trust laws. ebay owns Paypal. They require use of Paypal to get paid, and no longer allow other methods of payment. This violates anti-trust laws.

It's time the US government prosecutes ebay and enforces the law.

Letters Blog Recent Posts