Sun Sept 12 2010 19:24:03

Nasty Gal Vintage Leaves eBay and Thrives

To the Editor:
A positive story for once, you CAN leave eBay even with a vintage clothes business and not only survive, but THRIVE.

Just saw a story about a seller named Sophia Amoruso who looked literally everywhere for cool clothing and ran a huge business on eBay but left mainly because she didn't like the no seller negative feedback rule. (you don't usually see sellers leave just for that, right?) She said "I just got tired of their rules, mostly the one where they started telling us what we could write in feedback, and in my listings." (Here's a link to the video.)

So I Google it, and here is the link to her store: Nasty Gal Vintage - Ha, gone. Started in 2006. Then look at all her other links.

This is (apparently) how you do it, folks, get a following, leave, and don't look back. PS Getting a following involves at minimum having an "e-mail me is okay" list. And learn the new marketing.

This gal does NOT have a college degree. When she started she was unemployed. She said she did all kinds of odd things but never worked anywhere for more than a year.

Of course this will never happen again, since eBay is no longer interested in new startups, only in finding established retailers who want to spend a ton of money on their site.
Nancy

Perminate Link for Nasty Gal Vintage Leaves eBay and Thrives   Nasty Gal Vintage Leaves eBay and Thrives

by: My Own Website Not Quite Paying My Bills Yet

Sun Sep 12 21:54:47 2010

Nasty Gal Goes Good! We need more stories like these.

by: BRAVO !

Mon Sep 13 06:04:59 2010

Good for Nasty Girl. I love it when she teels the world she LEFT ebay because she is tired of being told what she can leave in buyer feedback. We felt the same way. We left awful eBay for that ( and other) reasons.

by: nancy

Mon Sep 13 09:35:07 2010

VERY smart girl.

by: old timer

Mon Sep 13 09:56:12 2010

"She probably used the idea of downloading the e-mails for all her buyers out of pay-pal as sugested by another AB reader several months ago."

Your customer data is the most valuable information you can have from selling on eBay (or anywhere else for that matter).  If you are not accumulating and protecting that data you are missing a valuable piece of your business.  Be sure to download your customer contact info from your PayPal history on a regular basis.  You have already paid for that asset through the fees you have paid to PayPal.  This customer data is one of your assets, you should treat it well.

Congratulations to Nasty Gal on her evolution in business self-determination.

by: unknown

Mon Sep 13 11:50:13 2010

"you don't usually see sellers leave just for that, right?"

And she didn't. You bought into her story but IIRC she got suspended from ebay for ripping off her customers and then never came back after the suspension ended.

by: snickers

Mon Sep 13 12:02:59 2010

not impressed with the YOUNG KIDS  in the All you need is picture.  What are you promoting ??? can't kids be kids and innocent  for awhile

by: Another Wronged Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 12:22:57 2010

@unknown

Where did you find this out that she was suspended and never came back?

I only see 2 neutrals left for her on toolhaus with 1028 positives. No negatives and only 1 withdrawn. All back in 2007. Nothing that she would have been suspended for.

Wouldn't she be showing at least one neg if ''she was ripping off her customers''?????

by: unknown

Mon Sep 13 12:58:53 2010

@Another Wronged Seller

What if a seller buys cheap Halloween costumes made in China last month and resells 'em as her exclusive vintage? The vast majority of the time the demographic wouldn't know it wasn't true - until maybe they wore the item in front of someone who actually did know vintage and they told them.

by: My Own Website Not Quite Paying My Bills Yet

Mon Sep 13 13:29:59 2010

Who cares whether she was suspended or not? Actually I wish EBay would suspend more sellers to force them to succeed somewhere else.

by: real vintage

Mon Sep 13 13:31:07 2010

yeah the real vintage sellers had been following her shenanigans and emgarrassing actions/auctions for quite some time. That said it does not surprise me that AB did not have the professionalism to vet their source

by: sick of NastyGal

Mon Sep 13 13:34:19 2010

NastyGal was KICKED OFF eBay! She is lying about her reasons. She was buying NEW purple fringed flapper costumes from China with one account and selling them on eBay as vintage dresses!

Also, herself and MamaStone Vintage, and Lullie Vintage, were in cahoots together to shill each others bids on items (meaning they used fake accounts to bump up bids).

Much of this WAS researched and proven by other sellers who took the time to discover this fraud. Google NastyGal fraud, and you will find the proof.

Next time you want to applaud a vintage seller, why don't you research them first and make sure they are legit and not liars? Hmm?

Plenty of other successful, LEGITIMATE sellers out there who would love some press attention, but I guess you have to be a fraud and a liar to get successful in this world!

So sick of people writing articles about the same 5 vintage sellers, and EVERY OF THEM are the bad sellers!

Do you just look at the prices they go for, get impressed, and ignore things like integrity, honesty, and ethics?

Just goes to show money rules, and values don't!

by: yourekiddingright?

Mon Sep 13 13:45:26 2010

so disgusted that yet again, someone as unethical as Sophia gets praised in yet ANOTHER article/news story!

there are many other sellers who are honest that you could write about, or could get featured on blogs, in magazines, or talked about on news shows!

by: Puhleeeze

Mon Sep 13 13:50:06 2010

Typical eBay Troll Boardies coming here to try and shoot down someone who leaves and finds success off eBay. What's laughable is that their ticked off by a letter to the editor. TOO FUNNY! LOLZ!!

by: unknown

Mon Sep 13 14:33:21 2010

I feel like I'm back posting on ebay discussion boards and watching my posts disappear...

by: EN VOGUE

Mon Sep 13 14:42:17 2010

THANK YOU INA!! FOR POSTING A GREAT EXAMPLE OF A SELLER THAT HAS BROKEN AWAY FROM SCUZBAY AND FOUND SUCCESS. BITTER BOARD TROLLS THAT ARE TIED TO EBAY WITH AN APRON STRING CAN'T HIDE THAT FACT!!!

by: deadebay

Mon Sep 13 17:20:08 2010

Sad to see such a great success story cause so much cat fighting.  Ladies, vintage or not the gal got a great business together and is making it off ebay.  I admire her quick exit and you should all remember living well is the best revenge.  And her business looks to be doing great.  Spare us all the meows and claws... Congrats to Nastygal

by: me

Mon Sep 13 17:36:27 2010

I just got done searching for Nastygal fraud, both with and without quotes. I did not see anything. Not a single result other than the comment advising to search the term.

ebay black budget tool-troll team at work again?

by: Carol Greely

Mon Sep 13 19:17:33 2010

Truly inspiring story! We were talking about this story on my vintage clothes group, and I think we can take a lot away from this. Nice job, Nasty Gal!

by: Larry

Mon Sep 13 22:40:16 2010

Way to go, another smart person that left ebay. I have started my own website and it is allowing me to make the same decision. I am selling more on my website than I ever sold on ebay and it cost me less

I am able to offer better service and a lower price with way less games. Got tired of ebay telling me what to do...just like other sellers...Not to mention the very poor customer service....

www.txdashcovers.com

This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Tue Sep 14 05:10:54 2010

@me,

Funny, I did the same search and got 4800 hits, many referring to "fraud". And I am not an eBay stooge.