Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Wed May 19 2010 16:29:10

What Are the Benefits of eBay Stores to Small Sellers

To the Editor:
Is there any benefit for small Sellers who have an eBay store?

I know that Sellers who have an eBay store pay a smaller listing fee for their items. And for those Sellers who regularly list over 50 items per month, the monthly fee for having an eBay store is offset by the lower listing fees. (I think 51 or 52 is the break-even point.)

But, for small Sellers who list fewer than 50 items in an eBay store, the lower listing fees are not enough to offset the cost of subscribing to the store.

So... if I'm listing fewer than 50 items per month, do I benefit by having an eBay store? The ability to have categories is nice, but because I have so few items that are all very similar anyway, it really doesn't benefit me all that much.

If a small store Seller is paying MORE per month, are there any other compelling reasons that I should keep my eBay store? Can the addition cost of having an eBay store be justified? Does it make financial sense?

Does having a store increase my visibility on eBay? Is a store needed for me to be a TRS? Do store subscribers get better (or preferred) customer support?

Does having a store give Buyers more confidence in me as a Seller? All other things being equal, are Buyers more likely to purchase an item from someone who has an eBay store?

If I'm not listing enough items to make it worthwhile, then I should probably cancel the store. On the other hand, I don't want to be penny-wise and pound-foolish... so if there's some other benefit that I'm not yet aware of, then perhaps I'll continue to subscribe.

I just don't know what that benefit might be. Maybe your readers do.

Sincerely yours,
A Small Seller

What Are the Benefits of eBay Stores to Small Sell   What Are the Benefits of eBay Stores to Small Sell
by: RicRoe

Wed May 19 18:01:41 2010
First and foremost, the primary benefit of subscribing to a Basic Store is that you get the privilege of paying eBay $15.99 per month above and beyond other fees.

If you do not run more than 50 + listings a month. there is little to no value in paying eBay for the subscription.

Any alleged visibility boosts are based on being TRS and or Power Seller status.

It would appear that the visibility boosts are rather insignificant.

Since stores went into core, any visibility boosts appear to have been negated by eBay's decision to move stores into core, putting eBay's best sellers right back into the hole.

Bottom line, if you see your total fees have increased and your sales have decreased, there is little value trying to survive on eBay, with or without a store.

John Donahoe has succeeded in turning eBay into a zero sum game for small sellers.

by: Gary Overton
Wed May 19 18:36:33 2010
I have always wondered why small sellers have a store. A lot of them don't even have enough listings to fill a shelf, much less a store. I have always assumed it is a vanity thing.
by: nothing

Wed May 19 21:49:22 2010
ebay sucks for small sellers because their listings are buried. ebay sucks for large sellers because they are buried by each other and are competing with a much better run amazon site.

ebay is good for nothing in 2010
by: another side of the coin

Wed May 19 21:54:50 2010
Small sellers who list mainly in the auction format are more or less forced to have a basic store if your auctions end with greater than $50. Otherwise the FVF is a straight 9%. It is really a toss-up at this point since eBay raised $25 to $50 for auctions in stores where anything over would be 4%.
by: Tantalizing Stitches
Wed May 19 22:19:30 2010
I agree with others. The only benefit is to lower fees. If it increases fees, there is no point. I actually never had a store until this new increase in fees. I found it was cheaper to have a store. However, I sell less on ebay than I sell on etsy YET I pay much more for ebay......
by: The Thin Man

Wed May 19 23:00:27 2010
I'm in a similar situation as the OP. Just looking at the dollars and cents of the value of having a store, it's a toss-up.

BUT, I signed up for my store LONG LONG ago, *before* the ban was put in place that prohibits store names from having any variation of a domain name.

After the rule was enacted, those existing stores were grandfathered-in and could keep their store names that included the words ''dot-com'' or any other variation that would serve as a clue to shoppers how to find the seller's OFF EBAY location.

So, for me, the store only serves ONE purpose: a guidepost to shoppers who are paying attention and would prefer to pay my lower off-ebay prices.
by: jtracey

Wed May 19 23:11:34 2010
I am a small seller but signed up for a store for the free picture hosting.  That alone makes it worthwile - 12 free pictures per listing that were previously $0.15 each.
by: chaz

Wed May 19 23:18:07 2010
A store gives all sellers, large and small, a way to present their inventory in an organized manner to potential buyers. It is also a way to look more professional. This is a significant benefit that for many sellers is worth the monthly charge.
This user has validated their user name. by: Bob

Wed May 19 23:18:23 2010
Hi: I'm going through this same thought process.  As a store owner my listing fee is basically .20 cents.  If I don't have a store it's .50 cents.  If you divide $15.95 by .50 cents that equals to almost 32 listings.  So without the store I could list 32 items and be in the same place.  I don't usually list 32 new items in a month.  But since I have about 125 items in my store, I do have them auto re-list.  So you have to consider that too.  So I'm stuck.  I'm not sure if I'll save any money without a store or spend more money.

The only benefit that I really see is that IF a potential Buyer clicks on your store icon, and actually goes to your store, there they will see all of your items, and only yours.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly

Thu May 20 04:36:48 2010
THERE ARE NO EBAY BENEFITS TO SMALL SELLERS OR LISTERS.

Small sellers are courted to provide site clicks, produce moderate revenue and support Diamond sellers.

Diamond sellers pay NO or REDUCED fees, set THEIR terms with customers and get prime exposure on the eBay site.

If you enjoy being lied to, abused, cheated, discouraged and robbed of your savings, hopes and collectibles, eBay is a great place for small sellers.

Ask for Griff - he's the Seller Advocate.
by: NOBODY

Thu May 20 08:35:35 2010
Go to Alexa.com, compare Amazon and Ebay. All the numbers you need to see what is happening are right there!
by: Jennifer

Thu May 20 08:35:36 2010
The primary reason I have a store is for marketing and BRANDING! My store uses my custom logo and listing templates and organizes items in my custom categories. I promote my store via blogging, Facebook and Twitter accounts as well as my own web site. I sell antique and vintage items on multiple sites and want my customers to instantly recognize me by name and logo. To me, that is the biggest benefit of having a store when you're a "small" seller. I currently maintain about 200 listings, but have had as many as 500. If marketing/branding is NOT important to you, then you may not need a store. It's crucial for me.
by: Suzy

Thu May 20 08:55:20 2010
Until recently the ability to put my listings on vacation was worth the subscription fee. This spring I realized there was a loop hole for watchers, even if your listings are hidden. Sigh....
by: Curious Jane

Thu May 20 09:17:26 2010
@Suzy: There's a ''loophole for watchers''?

What does this mean? Can anyone elaborate? I use the vacation setting from time to time too.
by: Suzy

Thu May 20 10:20:47 2010
@ Curious Jane

I found out the hard way. Buried in the Help pages is this:

''Making your fixed price listings unavailable''

''Watched items will continue to appear, and buyers could purchase a watched item while you're on vacation.''

(http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/placing-store-vaca
tion.html)
by: Curious Jane

Thu May 20 11:10:23 2010
@Suzy:

Oh. My. God! ~ That's a hole big enough to drive a truck through!

Thank you for letting us know about it!

My guess is that this is a BIG FAT BUG that eBay chooses not to fix because it's easier to label it as a ''feature''.

My other guess is that eBay chooses not to fix this because it can lead to buyer complaints that result in low DSR's and the opportunity for eBay to discontinue discounts for yet ANOTHER seller.

LESSON LEARNED: Whenever I go on vacation, I'll use TurboLister (as bad as it is) to cancel ALL of my listings in bulk. Any other option isn't worth the risk.

COME TO THINK OF IT... It's beginning to look more and more as though a Basic Store isn't worth the PRICE!
by: Jim This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 20 11:52:58 2010
I use the basic store.  For me the reduction in listing feed is worth the hassle and there are a few neat features worth $4 a week.  I list about 20 a week.

The easy way to handle the vacation thing is to set the vacation setting and then sort on number of watchers,check any with watchers and hit the end button on the listing options.  It would be nice to be able to select all watched items as a feature.

Letters Blog Recent Posts