Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Sun Apr 11 2010 23:45:11

eBay Store Inventory Not Always Showing in Core

To the Editor:
You can independently test this of course, but I did two separate searches today, and in both, store items showed up below (ie - the store was not in core). I thought that was the big difference with the new higher lowest fees ever - and now my fees are higher and I'm not even getting the benefits? Thanks, ebay.
Unsigned

Note from the Editor:
I researched this on Sunday evening to see if Store items were showing up below Core search results. In order to test this, you have to do a search for something with only a few core results, so I entered "mccoy pottery sailor bank." Sure enough, using the Firefox web browser, Store inventory showed up underneath Core results (this is theoretically impossible, since eBay converted Store format to Fixed-Price format). But doing the same search in Microsoft Explorer browser showed all items with no separate Store section.

I also tested it more broadly using the search term, "mccoy pottery". In this search, Firefox showed 2245 items in the "all items" tab, while IE showed 5457. I then noticed that in Firefox, Advanced Search had a checkbox where searchers could choose to include Store items in their searches. I grabbed a screenshot of a search for "Coach" showing the "Include Store Inventory" checkbox:

I also received a letter from another reader about this issue. He said that his eBay Store items that had been converted to fixed price listings (for higher fees) were not showing up all the time in eBay Core searches, "there is a link to then search eBay Stores," and he said his sales were "deader than a doornail" last week.

eBay is charging sellers significantly more money for what had been Store Inventory format in exchange for exposure in Core search results. It appears from my searches this evening that sellers are not getting what was promised.

eBay Store Inventory Not Always Showing in Core   eBay Store Inventory Not Always Showing in Core
by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 12 00:15:28 2010
interesting, the one that your screen cap shows in store is showing in core for me on firefox.

this sort of stuff is exactly why i've been ending and relisting my old store items (you can see former store items in my ebay) as they come to expiration.

as far as business being slow, historically the weeks before tax day have always been slow for me, picking up right after.  i see this on all the sites i sell on, so it's hard to attribute it entirely to ebay.
by: eBuyer Feedback This user has validated their user name.
Mon Apr 12 00:22:08 2010
You think that's weird?  Today I was looking at a seller's store and they had one listing showing with 5 days left.  When I clicked on it the listing I found it had ended around March 18th.
by: Buys alot

Mon Apr 12 00:49:02 2010
I have 100  saved searches I check every few days. I believe app. 70% plus still have See Store items listed at the bottom. Occassionally the items are listed in core plus the botttom store search.....LOL! Ebay never does anything like they promise, except take your higher fees, just like they promised....
by: Steve This user has validated their user name.
Mon Apr 12 03:09:38 2010
Ina, You can't accurately do the test from your computer using IE, Firefox, MAC or any other normal operating system. You must have a special computer using the secret, not available to the general public ''eBay'' operating system and math calculator.
by: tired

Mon Apr 12 06:02:51 2010
Went from 250 fixed price to 1000 last week and sales have gone down 85% I began listing auctions (160) since Thursday and that doesn't seem to have helped either.  I have contacted several other sellers and their sales are way off too.  eBay really screwed this one up!!!!!  The interesting thing is traffic is through the roof so this really doesn't make any sense.

How is everyone else making out since the change???
by: Brenda

Mon Apr 12 06:31:50 2010
This is not the only thing that is messed up.  I have a friend who sells and buys on eBay.  She uses SeaMonkey and since they dumped stores into core, she says the search is broken-results are inconsistent.  She'll use search terms she's used for forever and get nothing or very few items.  So basically, she can't find anything any more with her chosen browser.  She had no problems using Sea Monkey before store was dumped into core. I use Firefox myself and hadn't noticed the inconsistencies-I'll be watching for them now.   My friend is very computer savvy (does graphics programs) and says it's a browser imcompatibility thing.  Gee, eBay, didn't you get the memo?  There are plenty of folks who don't use IE any more, and for very good reasons.  Didn't you bother to make all your tweaking compatible with the browsers people actually USE?

This could have something to do with why lots of folks say they're not getting sales.
This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Mon Apr 12 07:10:04 2010
It's not entirely a FF or IE thing cause I can't duplicate your results in my FF or IE or Safari.

I'm guessing you already considered it might be old cache.  Looks like some of that messy java code wasn't all properly converted (or updating properly).

Yep...a glitch, and one that's costing everyone $$ (since ebay makes most of theirs with FVF's now).
by: tired

Mon Apr 12 07:24:48 2010
Here is my traffic based on BROWSERS...

1. Netscape Navigator 4.0 746 55.2%
2. Mozilla (Gecko) 355 26.3%
3. Safari 114 8.4%
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 92 6.8%
5. Microsoft MSN Explorer 21 1.6%
6. Netscape Navigator 4.5 14 1.0%
7. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (AOL) 9 0.7%
8. Netscape Navigator 4.07 1 <0.1%
by: ejl
Mon Apr 12 07:53:57 2010
my sales are down 85% since march 30,i called ebay and they said they checked everything,and they said that everything just needed to even out,well its the same old story,ebay screws up and we the sellers suffer losses!
This user has validated their user name. by: Philip Cohen

Mon Apr 12 07:59:07 2010
@ Stockmiser,
I think you mean eBay is now getting most of their revenue from listing fees, not FVFs. No sales: no FVFs.
This user has validated their user name. by: Stockmiser

Mon Apr 12 08:25:49 2010
@Philip - no, I mean FVF's.  Listing fees are VERY low now - even free for 99 cent auctions. It's about 80% back-loaded now, so anything that causes sales to drop will have a huge impact on ebay's bottomline.

by: buyer seller

Mon Apr 12 10:10:05 2010
Let me start by saying I am not a eBay cheerleader and do not agree with everything they have done to both buyers and sellers.

I sure I will be corrected if I am wrong but the way I see it in my listings is everything that was listed before March 30th in store inventory is still in store inventory. When relisted it will be in core as there is no more store inventory just fixed price. It will take 30 days for all store inventory to be converted to fixed when relisted either by the seller or automated programs.

As for sales, one of the catagories I list in now has a 80% sell thru rate while another has a 20% rate. Still another has a 2% rate. Two months ago it was entirely different. I do not think it has as much to do with eBay changes as it does with what buyers are looking for.

Just my opinion, John
by: jk

Mon Apr 12 11:59:43 2010
Not so buyer seller. What I listed as 'fixed price' this weekend, still shows in 'Store Inventory' not in 'Buy it now' in general search. Last week all my inventory was 'out there', not anymore. Ina, could you as ebay what is going on? It is pointless to contact their customer support. I gave that up couple years ago.
by: msfish213 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 12 12:21:49 2010
Is anyone really surprised? I really feel for all the sellers that fell for the BS Ebay handed out about getting more exposure when you opened a store, with all items in core.  They couldn't handle the core items they had prior to the changes, now its worse.  With such low talent programmers, its a wonder anything works. **SIGH** Word of advice, do not list for 10 days  prior to changes and 20 days after the changes take effect.  Waste of time.
by: Tom Russell
Mon Apr 12 14:03:27 2010
Once again, ebay has failed sellers. The "core" promised for a upgrade in sellers fee does not apply to relisted items.
Tom
by: Doris Knight

Mon Apr 12 15:00:25 2010
I don't believe in premonitions or the ability to predict the future...but I do believe that we can use our brains to look at eBay's previous ''glitches'' and make an educated guess about what's likely to happen in the future.

I did the same thing that ''Mindelec'' (above) did...on the eve of the store-is-core changes, I deleted all of my original store listings and re-listed them.

eBay's has a dismal track record of success when it comes to automatically converting or automatically updating existing listings. ~~ It's worth noting that those frequent mistakes are NEVER in the seller's favor.

So far, it seems that my preemptive actions have spared me from being caught-up in eBay's web of incompetence.
by: Tom
Mon Apr 12 19:38:46 2010
It is so sad to see this EBay tactic repeated over and over again. Hopefully, Ina will feel for us and do a full expose of this latest act.
Tom
by: Marvin This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 13 05:15:05 2010
''sellers are not getting what was promised''. Gee, that's a big surprise. Before all this foolishness started Stevie Wonder could see it was all about site hits and traffic. It's amazing how people can be snookered by an ebay scheme over and over and over and over and keep falling for it.

Use to be every time I went to the post office some ebayer was mailing packages, not anymore. Some of the regulars I haven't seen for months. Only one I see regularly is a guy who deals in antiques and collectibles with a couple hundred items in an eCrater store.

eCrater, Craigslist, Amazon ect, anyplace but ebay seems to be where the money is and I imagine the reason for that is ebays screwed up search, bad reputation and high fees.
by: Tom
Tue Apr 13 09:11:08 2010
Let's all get together and ask EBay for a refund of the increase in price for incorporatig search on all store items which was promised us and which we clearly did not receive.
Thanks,
Tom Russell
1607 So. Montreal Ave.,
Dallas, Texas 75208
214-331-1548
by: ebay seller

Tue Apr 13 11:03:52 2010
It has been almost 2 weeks since all items were put in core (supposedly) and my sales have dropped to 1/4 what they were before the move.Just to keep things in perspective the previous month I moved all my store listings to fixed price and had my best month in over a year ! My guess is they are doing rolling blackouts so they don't overwhelm there system because knowing them they were to cheap to upgrade there system for the added listings .

Letters Blog Recent Posts