Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Sun Oct 3 2010 15:04:01

eBay Sellers Report Technical Difficulties

To the Editor:
I am a seller on Ebay. After watching things closely for several weeks there is something technically wrong at Ebay. Hit counts showing in the Summary section in my Ebay are not increasing. Signing into the discussion boards are timing out. Sales come in spurts and those spurts are coming in further and further apart.

I am trying to keep my head above water, but it is just getting worse and worse. Several sellers are in the same boat as per the discussion board. How did I go from almost making silver Powerseller selling part time with fewer item to $2300 a month selling full time in 8 months?

I, myself have studied the suggestions made by Griff and Ebay for Best Practices and instituted several of those changes to my listings. I have studied my contemporaries and while some are still doing well as always, others, like myself are sinking like rocks in a pond.

I am not a seller that is slapping just anything up on the site and expecting it to sell. I spend hours on Terapeak studying what sells. I can see an item sell for $100 on Terapeak and I cannot sell the same item for more than $40.

Something is very wrong. I suspect it is technical. Can you shed some light?
Just Call Me, "About To Lose My Home"

To the Editor:
I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with ebay pages. The ask a seller a question has been down since Friday. I have been trying to email a buyer and the page tries to load, but then says done with errors on the page, only to leave a blank page. I have received one question from buyers all weekend, usually average about 15 per day.

Most of my saved ebay addresses do not work.

Announcements when clicked from the bottom of an ebay page does not load. I get the same from the ebay boards.

I was wondering if your readers were experiencing the same issues? I know ebay was doing maintenance on the 1st, did they mess something up?
Thanks,
Concerned

From the editor: see also eBay's Technical Issues discussion board.

eBay Sellers Report Technical Difficulties   eBay Sellers Report Technical Difficulties
by: saintsteven
Sun Oct 3 16:06:34 2010
I've been using the site a little the past couple of days and can't particularly attest to any technical problems, but I recently had an experience which demonstrated how tempermental the site has really become: I was recently constrained to use a dial-up connection for a while, and that coupled with my antique computer and obsolete browser proved to make most selling procedures nearly impossible.

That's probably pretty intuitive-a seller should use the best resources possible, but I spent my first six years at eBay using a dial-up account and an obsolete computer and still managed to be successful.

Not so during the last bout......
by: RicRoe

Sun Oct 3 16:50:13 2010
One look at the eBay Systems Status Announcement Page confirms (as usual) that according to eBay everything is working just fine as far as they are concerned.

Of course, eBay rarely if ever posts announcements on this designated page.

Apparently, eBay would rather have buyers and sellers waiting up to an hour to speak with a live help agent than to publicly admit their systems are not performing nominally.

One of the biggest let downs in using eBay is their reluctance to acknowledge they may have system issues which are hampering buyer or seller experiences.

Management apparently feels buyers and sellers are best served by actively denying any technical issues.
by: Patricia This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 3 17:23:19 2010
Believe me, if everything were ''working well'' we never would have been given free listing until Jan. 7, 2011!  We would have got another raise laid on us for sure.  I list in the arts category...okay, with our economy one cannot expect folks to buy things they just don't need....BUT...I can list a painting on Ebay and get less than 10 views for the week - list the same painting on Overstock or Boocoo and get 50+ views for the week!  Proves to me its not what I'm listing.  Ebay cannot convince me they are not manipulating the listings so much that only their upper echelon is getting good exposure and those of us at the bottom are almost invisible!  They definitely need investigating....but I guess they pretty much have that part covered by their team of attorneys.
by: Rupert Pupkin

Sun Oct 3 17:50:39 2010
The " Technical Difficulty" to which you refer is named Donahole, Ganesh and Uncle Griffter.
by: Haha

Sun Oct 3 18:18:09 2010
Golly gee whiz, with all that's been in the news lately, how can anyone be sure there's not some hacker-prankster with access to ebay's back end running amok? It's been nothing but one mystery glitch after another. I'm not so sure 'technical problems can really account for everything. Are you?
by: Beth

Sun Oct 3 20:07:27 2010
Several people have reported the same issues since Friday morning. Right after the maintenance update.  Cannot log into the discussion boards.  Cannot use the asq reply feature.  Cannot use the contact buyer button.  Confusing 2 ID's for those that have them.  Message inbox does not show new messages - they are buried somewhere admist your opened messages.  Search results yield a blank page.  Not able to get to Markdown Manager.  The list goes on and on.... Everybody that has contacted ebay has been told the same thing - no one else has reported this issue.  I can only imagine how many buyers and sales ebay has lost since Friday morning.
by: nadine

Sun Oct 3 20:49:47 2010
This week eBay quietly launched their "new product shopping experience" -- the new catalog pages for consumer items. Scott Wingo of Channel Adviser has descriptions and reviews on his blog http://ebaystrategies.blogs.com/

Basically, he says it's buggy as hell. It also shows up the spotty SKU coverage on eBay, and is the reason eBay is suddenly demanding an emergency de-duping of its listing.

It's also a major change from eBay's standard listing display. So nobody should be surprised at new bugs all over the site.

What a bunch of maroons. Just in time for the Christmas season.
by: I heart kool-aid

Sun Oct 3 22:29:30 2010
From Uncle Grift's Facebook page:

Griff Users of Internet Explorer 8: If you're having issues using webpage features on eBay, follow these steps
1: Click Tools > Internet Options. Click Delete Browsing History-> Select all checkboxes & click 'delete'
2: Click Tools > Internet Options >Privacy tab. For ''sites'' add and allow the web address “www.ebay.com”
3: Click Tools > Manage Add-ons > Disable All addons.

So clear all of your history,
Forget privacy, let eBay do what they want and then
Disable all your addons.

Why do you want other functions from your browser. Dump everything else just to run the eBay site.

You have to jump through all sorts of hoops to sell, on the site. Now you have to rework your browser to use the eBay site.

Is there any other site where you go through this sort of foolishness?

Your Seller Advocate will be in Chicago this week to get more people to sell on eBay (if they can log on.)
by: Laurie

Mon Oct 4 00:35:50 2010
Difficulty with the site? I can't access/view the bidders on my auctions; can't access my blocked bidder page, which I needed to do; I click on anything to bring up a subsidiary page and it comes up BLANK; can't email/send  auctions to a friend; can't access discussion boards to find out what is going on (nothing has been reported on the System Announcement Board.) Have sent emails to ebay, made 3 calls over the past 4 days to ebay only to be fluffed off. Tonight, I finally got an Ebay rep that was honest enough to say, ''it's not your computer, it's US. We have been experiencing technical problems for the last 4 days and are continually working to solve the problem.'' He stated the technical issues/problems are bad enough that they have not been able to post it on the Announcement Page. Wow and you have got to be kidding?!
by: Laurie

Mon Oct 4 00:39:08 2010
by: ebay seller

Mon Oct 4 10:37:13 2010
Join the club I was a silver almost gold powerseller for all of my 10 years on ebay until 2 years ago then I started a down spiral from there and now I have been a bronze since march.Obviously a grown up needs to take charge on top the only problem is the stockholders are oblivious to the fact that the children are in charge
by: kw

Mon Oct 4 11:34:01 2010
Anyone remember when most of ebay's tech dept was laid off months ago?  They've never been replaced.
by: sparky

Mon Oct 4 11:43:48 2010
EBay is saturated with technical glitches. I have sold for 10 years and am on 2 other sites besides eBay. I am a powerseller and have been TSR. Some weeks are full of bidders, some don't even have hits. 2 years ago I could stuff money in pillows! Now, I work hard for less than half those sales on eBay.  Yes, economy, but moreover, eBay's constant experimental methods have the public wary.  People  email me to say they will not buy on eBay because it is ''confusing''. My advice is to spread out to additional sites.
by: Wake-Up!

Mon Oct 4 12:12:46 2010
The technical difficulties are called sleeping with the enemy, mainly, SleezeBay coddling and sucking up to our overseas neighbors offering perks and incentives in exchange for over-saturating the site with disposable garbage and of course, FVF's.

NEG MEG 2010!
by: Larry
Mon Oct 4 12:49:07 2010
I have had all or most of the similar issues that are posted above, but have quit wasting my time calling ebay. It does no good. I to, are listing but not selling and have been selling basically the same items with good results in the past...Ebay Sucks as does it management

www.txdashcovers.com
This user has validated their user name. by: Ed Gadfly
Mon Oct 4 15:25:15 2010
Here's what happened to the Tech Department:

They're going to be a jury of your peers!
by: City Girl Hardware
Mon Oct 4 18:38:24 2010
I'm just a small artisan seller, but I've been on Ebay a long time. My customers seem pretty happy. Recently I decided to run some auctions, because people enjoy them so much, but Ebay's Email Marketing doesn't work anymore.

I tried three times to send emails to my subscriber list through Ebay's email marketing, but the emails failed to send every time. This has been a recurring problem.

Since nobody knew about my auctions, there were virtually no hits, no watchers, and almost no bids, so I ended the auctions early.

I'd like to utilize Ebay for auctions, but they make it really hard. It's not a dependable venue: you can't plan any promotions because the Marketing Tools don't work anymore.

Many of my Ebay customers have contacted me independently and asked where I am. They want to buy my stuff and are looking for ways to buy it! So I had no choice but to branch out into other venues. They don't have the traffic Ebay did, but at least they work.
by: Donna

Mon Oct 4 19:43:22 2010
I don't know what it is going on the the Ebay system.  I list items that consistently sell, now seldom get hits.  Have been lowered on the search list.   When I list Ebay puts in its usual 0 to 2 hits then less than two minutes later they up it to 15 to 20 hits for everything I have listed during that time period.  That is not possible in that space of time.  Have talked to them about this glitch and got nowhere.
by: Another Wronged Seller This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 5 00:59:13 2010
Another glitch?

That's so hard to believe since the site has been so stable.

( Sarcasm filter back on )

With every new change and ''improvement'' they break 10 more things, fix five and then rush out another change (which breaks 10 more. In their rush to make changes both in concept and technically they are failing miserably.

Would you believe my mother in her 70's knew there was a problem days ago. She thought it was something she did. She couldn't reply to customers and kept getting blank pages. She uses Internet explorer. I walked her through installing firefox and she is now able to reply to customer questions.

Try using firefox instead of IE. It might not fix everything but hopefully it will stop the blank pages.
by: everestdreamer

Sat Oct 9 23:16:06 2010
I woke up this morning to find that the items that had sold last night were gone. I put in the item numbers, which I got from my email (gmail) confirmations that the items sold, and nothing showed up. Then, my paid and shipped category was gone. Nothing showed up there either. I spent all morning trying to get to chat but everytime I clicked on the contact us button, I was signed out and had to sign back in. Finally, it went to that circle of hell, the ask a question page. Finally got to the chat button and I waited for 1.5 hours to get a hold of ebay chat. I don't know what they did, but it was mysteriously fixed with no explanation. My paid and shipped category is not back however. I was told, "you need to go to the ask for help section next time." JACK*SS. This problem was not some error on my part. sigh...I am wasting more and more time trying to deal with all the crap ebay keeps throwing at us. I need to take some classes, learn about online marketing and take my business elsewhere.

Letters Blog Recent Posts