Thu Aug 31 2017 11:32:14

eBay Promoted Listings Makes Regular Listings Harder to Find?

By: Reader

Does this new promoted listing push mean if we don't pay for promoted listings, our items will be harder to find:

Big News for Your Listings
Promote single-quantity listings in almost any category!Promote Your Items -->

There are more and more sites that want the seller to pay for promoted listings to get "shown". I have an arrangement with Ecrater and have sold only one item in one year. I go to the Etsy forums and the sellers there have not seen increases in sales when they use promoted listings.

If someone at eBay can promise that our items will be put at the top of the pile, then I would go along with it.

I wonder how many people are going to opt into this? And quickly opt out when they find it doesn't help?
L.

eBay Promoted Listings Makes Regular Listings Hard   eBay Promoted Listings Makes Regular Listings Hard

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu Aug 31 12:37:55 2017

The fees that are paid to eBay should ensure all items are shown to all buyers in all areas. Sadly, they are not.

This promoted listings scheme will fail if no one opts into it. They collect higher final value fees as well. Also, if you as a seller features the best overall deal (lowest price, fast shipping, 30 day returns), your item should sell first.

If a potential buyer on eBay cannot be shown all the best purchase options, the site is disservicing BOTH customers and sellers (who are also their customers). Whether the item is ''promoted'' or not.

Wonder what the percentage of folks who buy strictly items that are listed first in Best Match or Promoted (Sponsored) searches is? Do buyers just jump on the first thing they see, or take a minute to determine which ACTUALLY IS the best overall deal??

Best Match Cassini- fueled searches, Guaranteed Delivery, free returns, and promoted listings DO NOT bring significantly more buyers to the site, no matter which bogus statistics eBay throws out to their sellers to attempt to stimulate participation in these programs.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 15:33:20 2017

I do not LIKE Promoted Listings, but   BUT  you must remember you only PAY the PERCENTAGE that you CHOOSE to place on any particular promoted listing and THEN you only pay THAT percentage of any of the PROMOTED items that actually SELLS.

Example if you elect to offer a 5 percent for Promoted and in a month only ONE of the FIFTEEN you put that offer on actually SELLS you only pay 5 percent on THAT ONE.

The way I'm watching 1,600 buy now GTC listings SELL at a rate of 3 to 6 to ( dang ZERO in past 36 hours )  you are not risking any HUGE amount of Dinero.

I dont know OR CARE if this next part has changed, but when this was going around about a YEAR AGO the Next Big Idea was that the BIG BRAINS at eBay would EXTRACT the info they thought important and then they would put up an entirely SEPARATE LISTING AD that was the PROMOTED LISTING.  YOU, the seller than only paid that percentage IF and WHEN your buyer actually clicked BUY THIS ONE from THAT(promoted)  listing.   I am here to tell you that when I did try this shell game gimmick  the first time I sold about SEVEN promoted items over 4 MONTHS, but only TWICE were the PURCHASES thru the PROMOTED LISTING.  That was easier to track as THEN it was only for  MULTIPLE QUANTITY listings and in only a few dozen categories.

by: strife This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 31 17:12:39 2017

Making other listings harder to see/find and absolutely no benefit from the promoted listings either.

Whomever at ebay is controlling the promotions is clueless and knows nothing about PPC advertising. You are seeing thousands upon thousands of impressions with very few actual clicks and fewer still sales. That tells you ebay is not targeting the promoted listings but rather just carpet bombing them, a tactic that very long ago was shown to not only be completely ineffective but also now, the only morons who do it, are those ones advertising thousands of new viewers to your site within 24 hours for $24.95 or some other nonsensical amount.

Another completely stupid and disastrous implementation of something that may have had a small chance of success but then again until ebay squares things with Google nothing else is really going to matter.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Aug 31 18:57:25 2017

There are way to many sellers for promises to be put at the top of the searches.  They can't give such a promise as there is no way that this can even logically work.

We already pay them for advertising and the such.  This is yet again a money making [for Ebay] program to get what we should already have under the fee structure.

And not only that, many buyers don't like this program either.  They have to scroll down pretty far on a listing to get through all the promoted listings so they can FINALLY arrive at the seller's description of the listing the buyer is trying to view.  It is frustrating and challenging for buyers.  And it is PROMOTING the buyers to just give up and NOT read the description at all because it is too cumbersome to get to it.  Yet another potential problem for sellers.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 1 07:22:42 2017

Marie you're absolutely correct
and What happens next when all the top pages are all promoted listings, then what?  Super Promoted Listings pay even more to be seen within promoted listings. ?

ebay knows they are running a full fledged double dipping scam, they absolutely know, they are just too desperate, and or greedy to stop.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Fri Sep 1 10:44:07 2017

@angryllama

''.....you are not risking a huge amount of dinero.....''

I am NOT handing over an additional 5 percent in fees for some (so-called) upgrade!!

As @Marie put it: We already pay for advertising and exposure with the existing fee structure. And this is another attempt by eBay to grab more money out of sellers pockets.

If the $30 a month in ''Free'' promoted listings that we are offered in lieu of losing half our TRS discount reward covered all the expense of the program, fine.

But having to pay any additional fees is a huge slap in the face. Perhaps later when virtually no one opts into this scheme, we will get a ''YOU SPOKE, AND WE LISTENED'' eBay message, and they will remove the added FVF.

But I wouldn't count on it......

by: Stig of the Dump This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 1 19:14:51 2017

As a buyer, I find "promoted listings" a pain in the butt. They are just duplications of things I either already do or do not want, cluttering up the page. If Amazon keeps stuffing things on their pages the already difficult to navigate search result pages are going to become a joke.

by: Sunflower This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 3 21:58:00 2017

I tried ebays "Promoted Listings" and can tell you that the 20 or 30 I paid to promote are NOT on top in search. Mostly they appear towards the bottom. I think it is another way ebay rips off their sellers with this deal. Not one of my promoted listings shows on top or even on the first page. If there are a lot of items similar my listings tend to be towards the middle to last few pages.

by: phantom This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 3 23:05:26 2017

When you stop the promotion on a promoted item, that item will disappear from search. You will need to end the listing and repost as a new item and thus lose all sales history.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 01:02:09 2017

If promoted listings were shown across the internet on other sites like news sites and gossip sites, I would be all for it.  But it's only promoted on EBAY site.  I would only use it for higher priced items.  Only, because if you promote listings for a $5 items, it's not worth the fees (FVF, shipping FVF, 30c listing, promoted listings) to do.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Sep 4 02:47:33 2017

Too much flux and costume changes at eBay to trust paid promotion placement. I have never used it nor will I ever use it.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 08:55:43 2017

I tried the promo on a small account I have that had not sold anything in a month. I did not include the 2 items that sell regularly there but that had not sold recently.  As soon as I put the promo on, I got a sale on the one item that I did not put on promo, the one that regularly sells.  That same person also purchased another item from my other account but there was another on promo available (There is no store though). I only put 2% so not sure that it matters but it does not seem to be working.
I have many promos on my anchor store but I have never even spent past the free ad money on there.
Wondering if this even works or if they have rendered promoted ads invisible again? Does anyone ever spend all the free ad dollars? Is this just a plan where they hope you will give them extra money on items that are already selling steadily and they are doing nothing to actually promote?

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 10:50:40 2017

Promoted listings is like a line where the last person goes to the front & this repeats as each last person pays to go to the front... it may only buy your 5 mins on top in a glutted category. In a scant category, where all results fit one page, it serves no purpose. If you are in the front & you are $1.00 more than an unpromoted listing, the bottom feeders will still buy the cheapest one. It is desperation fighting for ever decreasing "middle class" spending money.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 4 14:30:41 2017

I would love to know what the revenue drop was for this holiday weekend - did alot of searches myself and search is the biggest mess I've ever seen. This place just gets more bizarre by the day. I actually hold no hope for this holiday selling season and figure it's going to be a crap shoot no matter what I do or do not do. I'm happy I still have a B&M as I have seen increased sales there - maybe a consequence of ebay being so screwed up.

by: buffalochick This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 5 13:48:38 2017

I purposely skip over all of the "Promoted" listings.  Would never purchase one of them. I don't need anything badly enough to reward ebay for it more than I do now.