Mon July 10 2017 21:51:16

eBay Rep Tells Seller Hidden Descriptions Are a Test

By: Reader

When using Chrome browser it is clear that eBay has hidden all my item descriptions and many other sellers. I called eBay and the agent said she couldn't replicate it, but that it is a test and will last a few weeks.

The problem is that there is now a button to click on followed by a random part of the description which sometimes makes no sense. When the buyer clicks on the button to (See full item description) it opens a completely new window.

I'm seeing this on eBay.co.uk and eBay.com using when Google Chrome browser. This does not happen with Firefox....yet.

I am fed up with eBay treating us like test monkeys. They don't even have the decency to let anyone know...even their own support agents.

I am seriously considering closing my business down as it's more stress than it's worth at my age. eBay used to be fun. It now feels like I'm shovelling smoke with a pitchfork on the wind.
Jon

eBay Rep Tells Seller Hidden Descriptions Are a Te   eBay Rep Tells Seller Hidden Descriptions Are a Te

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 11 04:34:53 2017

I have been TORMENTED by this Dmn Fool TEST for a couple of weeks already. (Yes I use Chrome). Just as cited here the ENTIRE DESCRIPTION is hidden behind a RADIO BUTTON and it OPENS in an entirely different TAB so even AFTER one finds it and READS it one cannot Back-Button to the listing but instead needs to CLICK on the ORIGINAL tab.  This CRPA has been Slathered All Over ALL of my own listings and ... it is what I see when I view anyone ELSE's listing, too. Can anyone actually explain how a GANG of BRAIN DEAD employees can be THIS STUPID and still remember to DRESS themselves in the morning and then show up at the RIGHT Office BUILDING, too?  The PHONE APP is sooooo awful that eBay instead of IMPROVING IT have elected to RUIN the Genuine Computer View of their site instead.  Zombies would STARVE if they had to FEED on the BRAINS of eBay Decision Makers.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 11 05:03:29 2017

Not sure what the big to do is about hidden descriptions. Its already a known fact that buyers don't read anyways. Just a less cluttered listing.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 11 06:18:07 2017

I wrote the office of the President - Wenig, and the Chief Technology Officer - Steven Fisher about this atrocity.  I have yet to hear back from them.
On another note, I also have been writing Amazon about their mess of a catalog and surprise, surprise, the Assistant to Jeff Bezos called me yesterday and we had a nice discussion about it.  I highly suggest that you write letters to Wenig, invest in the stamps and flood his office with letters....2025 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose CA 95125.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Tue Jul 11 10:39:32 2017

I use Chrome, and all my item descriptions come up normally. And my listings do not have active content.

Wonder if this is the end result when the ban on active content warning was not heeded??

There is no way that eBay's servers can handle the load if all this code with ''illegal'' content has to be included into each listing. So, if this is the case, they had no choice but to abbreviate descriptions.

by: maxmad This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 11 12:55:18 2017

this company is pure crazy,

by: Bob V. This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 12 23:59:07 2017

I tend to agree with feelingfroggy.  I find time and time again that my buyers don't read the descriptions.  Making them click a button to see it should have minimal impact on my business.

by: Duke This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 00:37:58 2017

I've been seeing this test off and on with Firefox on my desktop and Firefox on my tablet.

by: Lightning This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 02:03:18 2017

I have recently seen this new format with the link instead of the full description, and I use Firefox.  On my own listings, it is displaying the ''mobile description'' that I load into Auctiva, which is limited to 600 characters, plus a button to read the full description.  I guess they figure if it's good enough for a mobile customer, it should be good enough for a desktop user.  I provide a lot of info in my standard description - photos, shipping terms, disclaimers, etc.  If I put it in there, I must think it's important to a buyer, or as protection for myself.  I don't need ebay unilaterally deciding to make it invisible.  It's only a matter of time before I have a return because of something ebay ''hid'' from the buyer.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Thu Jul 13 02:34:19 2017

This is a very, very bad feature as outlined in previous posts. It facilitates SNAD returns. Unless eBay frames the 'see item description' button in flashing neon many will skim right over it (I know I would). eBay has gone overboard on attempts to 'streamline' the buying process—not a good idea when you can't physically examine the merchandise.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 07:00:42 2017

This is the very reason ebay has gone downhill in past years.

IF you bother to read the HTML in the ones you removed active content from you will see  <  ----  and then END DESCRIPTION  sometimes at the end sometimes NOT!  They added this at some point without our knowledge.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 07:01:12 2017

Agreed, with all the above, BRAIN DEAD.

This user has validated their user name. by: Quailman

Thu Jul 13 08:11:28 2017

Supposedly the eBay reps confirmed this stupid idea was a test on their eBay for Business Facebook page.  If you clear your history cache, it will go away on your computer.  But not on the computers of your customers.  We're all losing sales because of this moronic ''test'', whether you can see it on your computer or not.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 08:39:15 2017

Hey you know what helps even more??

The flipping watch button doesn't work now. (CHROME)

So you have to view it to watch it.

Just sayin.....

by: Lightning This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 13 14:02:00 2017

I have the same problem with the "Watch" link.  I thought it was my browser, Firefox, which I just switched to because I couldn't keep Chrome from crashing hourly. So maybe it isn't the browser, if other people have the same problem.  Used to be able to go right down a search list and click, click, click each relevant item.  Now I have to open each one first.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 27 17:28:32 2017

BTW I did CALL EBAY to find out what the story is with this TRASH. The snippet descriptions were all showing up with a bunch of random words out of the template, not anything in the "first 250 characters"  EX: WE DO NOT TEST FESTO SHIPPING OUTSIDE USA  (HEH????)

SO they out and out LIED and tried to say this is just the ones with http: links

WRONG, every one I checked so far is NOT an http: anywhere in it. No active content, etc. There is absolutely no common factor I could find between any of them.

GOOD NEWS!

Grab your template, hit revise, and delete ALL HTML after the actual description, and OVERWRITE your template that goes underneath.

Snippet will be gone.

Fir how long?? I dunno.

by: frustrated This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 27 17:40:55 2017

WE sellers can write all the stupid letters we want, to fill up their dumpsters.

TELL YOUR BUYERS TO COMPLAIN COMPLAIN COMPLAIN. OVER AND OVER, hit the same listing any times if need be

If necessary and they don't have a "tell us what you think" button (I think they WISELY removed that one,) then REPORT ITEM INAPPROPRIATE ITEM DESCRIPTION, then type in the box NO DESCRIPTION HERE WHAT THE ????

THOUSANDS OF BUYERS --- they couldn't care less what the sellers tell them. Have they listened to anything before?? EVER? ONE TIME?  EVER?  How many times have we told them we need advance notice of changes, how many times have we said DON'T TOUCH THE SITE AFTER 10-31.  Huh?? Did they listen then?

GET YOUR BUYERS to do it.

OR YOU go onto a sellers listing and complain AS A BUYER.

They couldn't care less what we want. At all.