Sat July 8 2017 09:41:16

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

By: Reader

I have an Etsy shop and a brick & mortar. I'm sure you take a look at the Etsy forums....what they have been doing is ridiculous - more inefficient changes every day.

I understand forums inherently are filled with complainers....but the forums on Etsy have had a decidedly extremely negative posts overall since the latest barrage of changes.

Who is looking to replace Etsy? I've looked at Bonanza, eBay, and I now have items on artyah. They are brand new and I'm willing to give them a shot.
Thanks,
C.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Jul 8 10:28:13 2017

There's also ArtFire, though there's a limit of 2,500 items per shop (and that store will cost you $40 per month).

There's also, as I have been promoting for years, eCrater, which offers free stores, as many items as you want to list (I currently have around 7K) and you only pay a FVF if your item sells when the buyer starts on the home page for the site (and that's if you want higher placement in the search engines; you don't even have to pay that).

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 10:37:53 2017

Love eCrater.
They really don't bother you. Free, unlimited listings. Low fees when sold through the marketplace. They send listings to google. You promote yourself.

Love Tictail.
Free, unlimited listings. 10% fee if sold through the marketplace shop. You have a custom shop that you promote and it free.

eBid has made some changes.

Webstore has made changes.

I look at the above is where there isn't all changes that disturb the flow and if you are looking at just a place to sell and you don't mind promoting yourself. (also, I don't want to build a website)

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 12:58:18 2017

I thought Handmade @ Amazon was going to be the next great place for me to sell. Turns out that it works MUCH better for those selling items they can make again and again ... not so much for OOAK.

There are dozens of handmade selling sites. Before you invest a lot of time, effort, and energy into setting up a shop on a new (or not so new) site, take time to do some  research to see if they have the traffic & infrastructure to make it worthwhile.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Martha This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 16:04:32 2017

I think the etsy ship sailed a long time ago - (or sunk)..  we are still on etsy because a few customers still like to buy there very occasionally.. :(

I, too would like to know where a viable handmade site is..

In my time - for the past 45 years as a designer/craftswoman - one thing has always been clear - those of us who make things one at a time with our hands are at an extreme disadvantage in the marketplace because we are not considered ''viable''..

I sell on amazon, etsy, ebay and our own web site - as well as through our studio/gallery..

The problem remains the same..  If we cannot produce and market in some kind of volume, we are not considered valuable to any venue.

The venues do, however, like our ''moniker''..  they LOVE the concept of ''handmade by the artist''  and we are valuable as on etsy, to the venue, as a ''definition'' or ''label'' that is popular.

We become the ''false face'' of the venue.

We stand alone and define ourselves as nothing more than we are.  We will never be well off.  We will always be tired.

We will always be the ''story'' in the dysfunctional family of venues for art and craft - including fine galleries and juried art shows.

It is up to each of us to market our work and put it out there..  We are like the cheese in that we must stand alone - because no venue will ever stand for us - not really.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 16:33:45 2017

@Martha - It would be awesome if a site would start up exclusively for OOAK ... handmade ONLY by the artist  with no assistants and definitely no ''production partners,'' etc.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Martha This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 17:07:58 2017

@Sierra -

minimally made by the artist..  yes.

OOAK?  maybe..  I repeat designs.  but each is made one at a time..

so maybe OOAT  (one at a time)??

I do most everything as made to order..  Even on Amazon - it gets stressful - but there have never been so many sales that I could not handle it.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 17:28:47 2017

@Martha, I repeat designs too, but both my customers & friends have always assured me that my work IS one of a kind because no two items turn out exactly the same. For example, I just finished 6 ''pumpkin'' dolls. They're all the same body, but each one has a different face and different clothing, etc., so I consider them OOAK.

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sat Jul 8 20:50:42 2017

@Martha has it EXACTLY RIGHT — Every bit of it.

And as far as a Long-Term successful “Common Marketplace” to replace Etsy, and serve the needs of Handmade, Vintage, Etc sellers...... here are a few GENERAL thoughts:

Public Corporations will NEVER serve our needs, ESPECIALLY as the Internet matures.
Private Corporations will typically fail within a few years, as the original owners sell, or take it public.

Some sort of Co-op or stock structure would have to be in place,  to PREVENT the eventual Wall Street, CEO,  Corporate Raider, and/or INCOMPETENT management FAILURES, that lead to these Ebay/Etsy disasters for their sellers.   AND their complicit behavior regarding the FAKE items being sold to buyers on their sites, which will SOONER OR LATER, bring down upon us, all sorts of regulations, as the fake gold, silver diamonds, etc are eventually exposed.

Any permanent solution MUST BE juried.  Lets be BLUNT, For the MOST part:
Ebay NEVER DID POLICE its categories, rules, or sellers.
Etsy NEVER DID POLICE its resellers, rules, or sellers.

We will NEVER have honest marketplaces where WE the sellers, are the beneficiaries or our hard work & service to our customers, without SERIOUS OVERSIGHT (Juried).

Otherwise, we will all be forced into our own sites, which bring enormous problems of their own:

Google can control your success far more than Ebay or Etsy ever could.
You will have to become an SEO expert, or place yourself in the hands of your software host.
You will have to do EVERYTHING Google's way, if you want to sell any appreciable amount.

The advantage of Ebay/Etsy, is that people come, search, find, buy   (Yeah, right, well they USED TO.....)
This disadvantage of Google, is that you are now among BILLIONS of web sites.  Good luck with that.  Some will do well.  MOST will fail with their own web sites.

I say let Ebay/Etsy both fail NOW.  These 2 players will only get worse, and this CAN'T go on forever.  MAYBE something else will come along.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 8 21:54:14 2017

I have been selling on ebay since 1998, the ship has sailed on the ''good old days'' but I still find it overall the highest traffic. I sold on Amazon for years, until it just died for me.  I have an Etsy shop, it's not ''wow'' but it's pretty steady, I sell very high end items on Tradesy, and I've been happy, even though their fees are outrageous, the peace of mind of not having to deal with a return of a high end item is worth it.
I tried Bonanza and no sales.
What I must say is when researching items, no matter what they are, the majority of my results on google are items on Pinterest, I will get the occasional Amazon or Ebay, never got Ecrater in the results.
When you look at the reports on Etsy, the percentage of sales that come from Pinterest has grown year over year.
Wondered if anybody had other thoughts?

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sat Jul 8 22:51:08 2017

@fashionista:

No question Ebay and Etsy still have traffic, but more & more, only for the chosen few of Handmade.  Now mostly just large retailers and resellers.

Pinterest???  It is DESTROYING Google as a realistic source of search information.  Google is so focused on returning current, new, & ''valuable'' content......
AND
Facebookers are so focused on likes, friends, pins, etc........

That I can't even use Google images for art research anymore.  Completely destroyed by Facebookers & MILLIONS OF Pins of the SAME images.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 01:00:51 2017

Come to eCRATER. We would love to have you and we are encouraging those in the handmade whether OOAK or OOAT we want you. We already have an eCRATER based handmade page on Facebook, Many of us will be glad to help Pin your products, the fees, if any, are low, you are allowed 10 photos per listing, no listing fees, no store fees, you can even have your own domain name for your store (although there is a fee for that).

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: birdman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 05:00:29 2017

Dingdong says that ebid has made some changes. They are promising even more in the very near future. They might be worth a look in a month or so.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 06:18:05 2017

Google????
As far as I'm concerned--they've hit the wall. Used to be you could learn something or find something by "googling" it. Now? All ads by other search engines or search platforms...then, 2 or 3 pages in, you might begin finding actual answers to your search.Question is" Who is the next Google?

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jul 10 07:05:30 2017

As others have said, come to eCRATER.  Tell your friends, relatives and co-workers about eCRATER.  Promote eCRATER on  your Facebook page and other social media sites.

LOVE eCRATER!!!!  Remember to buy and sell there.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 07:52:34 2017

@buildingmyownsite - I pretty much agree with you, although in the first few years Etsy did police its sellers. It didn't go downhill until they took the venture capital $40 million and that moron Chad Dickerson took over.

Is it just me or does anyone else hate the name eCRATER? It sounds like somewhere you'd go to pop online zits. It's a real turn-off. Seriously.

OP: You might look into Shopify (which allows you to use Pinterest buy buttons.) And from shopify you can also still list on other venues. OR there's the growing market of Facebook selling groups. I shop in Facebook a lot, actually. If you ask me what scares the shit out of Ebay and Etsy, it's not Amazon, it's Facebook. Not Facebook as it is now, but what it is becoming.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 08:06:05 2017

I night try a couple of new listings somewhere else.  I have been on Etsy for 2 months and sold nothing, but my items are a little pricey.  But they are priced according to the work that goes into them.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 08:24:37 2017

@funkygrrl, I loathe the name 'eCrater'. Hate to say this but it really does sound cheap.

I had a shop on Ruby Lane for almost 3 years and found it rather costly for the actual number of sales completed. No immediate payment on that site meant lots of unpaid items. Chasing down customers to pay is very unprofessional and a complete waste of time.

Have a few items on Bonanza, no sales yet

With my etsy shop, sales slowly trickle in. Year or so ago my etsy sales were very even with ebay. Sadly, no longer the case.

Personally, ebay still has the most traffic for my shop so will ride it out...for now

Good luck to all and appreciate your helpful comments

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: RAOTFLMAO This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 09:16:55 2017

I never have had anything on ecrater come up in a search.  Only place I see mention of it is a few come on here and promote it.  How is that working out for those that list there????

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 09:39:54 2017

For all you artisan handmade sellers, especially those looking for an upscale place to wholesale your work, here is a marketplace that might be of interest.

Check out Indie Me at

These people have been in business a long time and are directly connected to the high end American Craft Retailers Expo.  They were formerly known as Wholesale Crafts.com

They publish a fabulous printed Buyers Guide and the site is juried for both sellers AND buyers.  They are VERY strict about handmade and thus far they only allow relatively high end US and Canadian artisans in their marketplace.

If you are a serious handmade artisan who is looking for a professional e-commerce site to sell your work to brick and mortar stores and galleries, I urge you to check out Indie Me.

It is the exact opposite of Etsy in every way and they provide a beautiful showcase for your products.

The other good thing is that the Buyers are vetted before they're allowed to shop.  Check out the FAQs for artists and potential buyers.

Indie Me is not for everyone, but if you are a high end artist who is looking to get your work into some exclusive venues, this might be a good fit for you.

Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?   Who Is Looking to Replace Etsy?

by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 10 09:43:31 2017

Well this is what etsy sent me in my email box this morning to help drive traffic: https://www.storeya.com/public/trafficbooster/promo