Wed May 10 2017 16:26:25

How Can eBay Decide to Relist a Seller's Listings?

By: Reader

Have you seen this? Really - eBay MAY relist our fixed price listings?

How do you know if they will or not and if you relist from TurboLister or a third party and they do from the old listing you will get zapped for duplicate listings.

I run quantity in my listings. If they relist the quantity will not renew and I would have to watch closely or lose listing over time as they count down. Plus what happens if you want to relist but with a price change?

The arena of controlling communications with buyers is another kettle of issues.
Pete

Note: See eBay's announcement board for the post, "Updates to the eBay User Agreement."

How Can eBay Decide to Relist a Seller's Listings?   How Can eBay Decide to Relist a Seller's Listings?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 10 19:40:07 2017

It all goes back to the ebay ghost listings. Where they relist something that has been sold out....Guess its Ebays playground so they do as they please.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Wed May 10 20:39:39 2017

This seems to apply to listings posted with the eBay ''Quick Listing Tool'' (whatever that is), or who they deem to be new users.

Funny this was a User Agreement addition, and not from the Summer Update. If you have a store and 30 day GTC listings that automatically renew, there are no changes.

It looks like this new rule is in place for small, occasional sellers who continually relist the same overpriced junk every 10 days with a free listing promotion.

It will, I gather, allow eBay to either force small sellers to pay a store subscription, or clean up duplicate listings from dropshippers.

If you read the Community Boards, the eBay staff isn't even sure what is going on. But, of course, most all changes do not make sense, and are just enacted to put more money into their coffers.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed May 10 22:25:18 2017

1. Ask for your ISP how to change you IP address.

2. Establish multiple ebay accounts. Use a different IP address with each account.

3. Pay your ebafia fees with a credit card.

4. When ebafia relists an items without your knowledge or authorization, file a chargeback with your credit card company. Be sure to include a copy of this new criminal (theft by deception) "update."

5. Close that account, change your IP address, and move on to your next account using a different credit/debit card to pay.

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 00:36:49 2017

My problem is that eBay relists my sold listings.  Not a week goes by, that I don't sell something and then after searching 2 or 3 times, find that it was sold anywhere from 2 days to 3 months earlier.  Don't bother calling eBay cause they have never heard of such a problem before.  Must have been my fault.

by: Lahav-CampaignGO This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 01:15:33 2017

How do they know that the item wasn't sold out?

So, they relist, the item is sold, I cancel due to out of stock, eBay gives me a defect?

WOW, please help!!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 11 03:17:05 2017

I don't understand this one either.  Most sellers won't be affected by it.  It only affects FP listings created using the Quick List Form.  And it is because the Quick List Form doesn't allow you to set a FP listing for anything but 30 days.

So if you are using the Quick Listing Form, opt out and use the regular or advanced form and you won't have to worry about this issue.

Well I say fix the damn form.

by: connie t This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 03:46:55 2017

The update reads: ''We may automatically renew your fixed-price listings unless your listing sells out or you cancel your listing.'' To me this means that ebay can and will automatically relist a listing that was originally placed as a 30 day listing. I have a basic store with 250 fixed price listing and I used to carry nealy 400 listings. I have since pared this down and in the past year I never go over my alotment of 250 listings as it does not warrant spending an additional $0.20 per listing for many of those items. Especially as ebay can and does limit the exposure of the listing in search. And control your sales rate that way. If ebay desired I am certain they could change the exposure and I would sell out all 250 listings in 5 minutes. As it is in the last year since they changed the search and control exposure sales are way down. To me this means that ebay can take it upon themselves to spend my money and automatically relist an unsold 30 day listing. I called them on this and spoke to a CSR for 30 minutes and was told this was not the case and there is no change. That this only applies to GTC items. I asked the CSR for clarification twice beyond that as a GTC automatically remews. He spun some tale that there was some confusion with sellers regarding GTC items and my 30 day listing will not automatically renew unless I renew it and there is no change.   ...   I DO NOT BELIEVE HIM. I do not trust this answer.

Open additional stores and only use the alloted 50 listings. I already have one additinal store and it has 125 listings of which 75 are over the alloted 50 allowed and if they were automatically renewed it those would cost an additionaly $0.30 per listing. I will close these 75 listing above the alloted 50 as I only relist these when they offer free listings during the month.

There is just no reason to trust what these liars tell you.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu May 11 06:59:16 2017

I caught one that they relisted yesterday.  The item sold Tuesday evening. It was relisted yesterday.  I only had one, so it is a good thing that I caught it.

And unlike Marie just suggested, I do not use a quick list form.

I only relist from unsolds, so there is no way I "accidentally" relisted this.

by: globalhistory This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 07:07:36 2017

It happens to me about 1 a month. Item I sold months/years before and still in my store. Have to refund the money to the customer with excuses but ebay keeps its commission and that is where it is all about.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 08:30:26 2017

eBay (as usual) has so far ignored the questions that revolve around the new Summer Downdate.

Concerning this specific issue:

1) Why is this policy even needed?

2) who gives eBay permission to relist your items without your permission - theres no legal reason aka "ability" aka mechanism that gives eBay that right

3) why with this specific program and not any other? whats special about THIS program aka what are they NOT telling us?

4) It seems as always that this is a straight out money grab aka THEFT from sellers. Sellers know quite well what they wish to relist of not, why do it automatically, charge them the listing fee, and then possibly even give them a defect when the item sells and the seller is caught short?

Why havent the slugs at eBay answered these questions?

by: VeeFinder This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 08:52:41 2017

This has been happening in one of our accounts for over 1 year now. It happened over 5 times, in the space of 2 months. Some we caught but some sold before we did. We only relisted from unsold and if it had been listed, unsold and relisted, we delete all the relisted listing.

We have 2 defects based on sold items that were relisted by eBay. Try explaining that to a disappointed buyer. What lousy buying experience that is.

When we called, they had never heard about the problem. We did not use a third party listing and the form they mentioned did not exist at the time. No, thanks.

by: fifilapew This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 09:03:27 2017

This is almost the reverse;

Yesterday I received an email from ebay that an item I had added to one of my lists was no longer available for sale. I clicked on the item and dang, there it was, STILL up for sale!

I messaged the seller, seller confirmed they had NOT sold the item and it was indeed still for sale.

Is this just a one time glitch? Has this happened to anyone else?

How many times has ebay sent this type of email to prospective buyers. How many sales have sellers missed out on because of this error?

Can anyone enlighten me please, thanks in advance for your time

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 10:24:21 2017

I contacted eBay about this on Facebook.  The reply I received from Jasmen was a bit reassuring, except that it seemed to contradict the update.  She said, "[...]if you don’t list your items good till canceled this isn’t something you’d need to worry about. We’d never relist items on your behalf unless you have them listed as good till canceled[...]"  I searched eBay's help pages for "consumer seller listing tool" (what the update says you use to list items when this issue may happen) and found NOTHING!  I brought this up to eBay through Facebook, but it was not addressed.

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Thu May 11 10:29:39 2017

OK, I think I figured this out.....

Someone hired an ambulance chasing attorney and successfully sued eBay for ''relisting their Good 'Til Cancelled items without their permission''.

Yes, GTC listings automatically renew. We all know that. But some legal loophole allowed a lawyer to file the suit. And win.

So they were advised by their counsel to include these terms in the User Agreement.

Now, the issue of having sold out items auto relist when there is no inventory, this is another story. And eBay does not acknowledge that this is a ''glitch''. But they also will not hesitate to apply the out-of-stock defects to ones seller account.

Thankfully, this has not happened to me (yet). I would imagine this issue, if it happens a great deal of the time, would land eBay back into court!!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu May 11 10:55:45 2017

eXtinctBay, that sounds about right.  We all know that user agreements are nothing more than legal documents chock full of "you can't sue us" verbiage.

Every time I see a "user agreement update" I know that  a sellers' legal rights just took another beating.

by: Bidonmine This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 11:21:49 2017

I like to rotate my fixed price listings... Not sold in 30 days, I wait 45 to 60 days to relist. Sometimes I will move the item to another service for a month to see if it sells there and then move it back to Ebay, or just move it to a flea market. I don't need ebay making listing and financial decisions for me.

by: leathermermaid8 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 11 13:40:02 2017

An ''out of stock'' item happens to the best run businesses.  The less well run just don't handle their inventory well.  AND you get defects from eBay for this.

But to give them out when it may be due to eBay's re-listing sold or unavailable stock is terribly unfair.

Then there are the folks who use the out of stock item as a placeholder I guess.  It's irritating to me as a buyer to learn an item isn't available but I just accept my refund when it happens and move on.

Judging from the posting boards on eBay, a lot of buyers have no idea what goes on behind the scenes or that some of it is not the seller's fault.

Like the way you get opted in for ''best offer'' and have to jump through hoops to get out of it.  Lotsa screaming about that one.

Just to make it even more annoying, if you refund someone, the ''view paypal transactions'' stays on my summary page long after we have gone our separate ways.

Can you imagine how this will multiply with this auto relist nonsense?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 11 14:57:01 2017

@rexford

The problem you are having is a similar problem that many Ebay seller have reported off and on over the years.  It has NOTHING to do with this new update to the UA.  I'm not trying to dismiss your problem as it is EXTREMELY important, but it isn't related to this particular discussion.  Important YES, part of this update, NO!  It is a separate issue.

I didn't suggest anything.  It is Ebay's explanation on this update.  It ONLY applies to the use of the Quick List Form period.  It also states it in the small print just below the ''list'' button on the form that it will be relisted every 30 days until cancelled.

Now all this uproar really could have been avoided had Ebay worded the update to the UA a bit differently.  If Ebay had NOT have used the words ''fixed price'' and instead used Good Till Cancelled, all of this would have been avoided.

The Definitions on Ebay for what a FP listing is and what a GTC listing is are different.  An FP listing does not even matter here as you CAN'T set one up using the Quick List Form for any reason as there is no option to do that.  It is either an auction or a GTC listing.

This update only affects a very small portion of casual and small sellers that use the Quick List Form to create their listings.  This entire issue can be avoided by ALL sellers if they want, just opt OUT of using the Quick List Form and go back to the regular form.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri May 12 07:18:38 2017

Marie, you said "It only affects FP listings created using the Quick List Form."

I refuted that. It does not ONLY affect FP listings created using the Quick List Form.

Are you backtracking on that statement?  You did not qualify your original post with "'ebay said' it only affects FP listings....".

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri May 12 10:12:04 2017

@ Rexford

eBay said it only affects fixed price listings using the Quick List Form.

That's what I read in the Summer Update. . .