728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Thu Apr 20 2017 12:32:39

Seller Desires Refund Over New Etsy Payments Policy

By: Reader
I'm writing in regards to Etsy's new payment options being forced upon their sellers. My question is a short one: When I pull all my items from my shop before May 18th, will all my listing fees be refunded? I just renewed most of my listings and they don't expire until August.

So do I get my money back? Etsy has made no announcement addressing this. Do they get to force us out of our shops AND keep our money?
G.
Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: Seller Desires Refund Over New Etsy Payments Policy

Seller Desires Refund Over New Etsy Payments Polic   Seller Desires Refund Over New Etsy Payments Polic
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Apr 20 14:06:21 2017
@G. (OP) - You are incorrect; Etsy has made an announcement about this. They have stated in response to questions on the Forum that if you close your store, or they suspend you, they will not be returning any of the unused, pre-paid fees.

I know many of the sellers are furious about this, especially since Etsy gave sellers only a few weeks' notice about forcing Etsy Payments on everyone. I don't know if complaining to the Better Business Bureau or the Attorney General of New York would get you a refund.
by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 16:35:27 2017
If you don't set up Etsy Direct Payment by May 17th, your selling privileges are suspended and you loose any time left from your listing fees.

Etsy should of let sellers know at least 2 months in advance so that they wouldn't loose listing fees and can plan what to do.

Join eCrater or Tictail or ?? and find some site that doesn't do so much interference with your selling.
by: treasurehunter777 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 16:43:27 2017
I've been a Esty seller for a few years. I find direct checkout to be a good thing for both sellers & buyers protection. In my opinion  Etsy stands tall for its sellers against fraud. The other sites I've sold on did not. Etsy rules are clearly defined when you sign up to sell. Besides each listing only cost $.20 for a four month period.  I have used Etsy Direct checkout in my store since I opened the store. I am very satisfied with it. Gives me peace of mind for the protection it offers.
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Apr 20 19:02:06 2017
To add to what DingDong wrote, I noticed on the Forum some sellers are saying to move to ArtYah. Store subscriptions are free, no listing fees, and it's a FVF of 3.75% when something sells (and not on the shipping cost). The site appears to be handling the same kind of merchandise as Etsy.
by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 22:50:52 2017
Looks like ArtYah's total listing count is around 5100.

NOT five hundred thousand. FIVE thousand. TOTAL.

There's not enough stuff there to draw any customers.
by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 20 22:51:30 2017
Or to put it another way, I'd nearly double their listing count.

By myself.
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Apr 21 13:38:13 2017
@hopeforthebest - Every marketplace had to start out with zero listings. I'm not promoting any site other than eCrater as I love it there and get great sales. But if a new marketplace looks good (and apparently ArtYah has great Customer Service) and doesn't cost anything to list, plus specializes in what you are selling, it's worth a try.
This user has validated their user name. by: MainelyVintage
Mon Apr 24 07:36:05 2017
Etsy has taken steps to prevent another payment processing glitch.

Etsy is the only online venue where sellers claim to looove PayPal.... I had serious issues with PP back in the day; I will never completely trust any payment processor.

If the terms of needing a bank account for deposits do not suit, then sellers need to move on to another venue. I wish you the best!
by: fgilles02420 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 24 07:44:05 2017
There are many reasons why I'll be leaving on May 18. Etsy has no phone support (I'm not counting the ''don't call us, we'll call you'' silliness that they TURNED OFF during the Direct Checkout fiasco last summer). Emails take a week to receive an answer, and the first response is typically an irrelevant cut and paste. I can't trust a business with my money if I can't even contact them.

I've used Paypal for over a decade, and I can always call them in case of a problem. The only chargeback I ever received as a seller was dealt with and I got my money back.

For many of us, I think its that Etsy chose to try to bully us into compliance instead of making its products/services more attractive. I'm sure the next steps will be elimination of standalone paypal, mandatory payment for a Pattern store (or face lower search prioritization), and additional 'seller services' for additional fees that are supposedly optional but realistically, not so much.
by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 24 08:02:34 2017
There is no hope that Etsy is going to be what it once was- a place where you can buy and sell unique handmade and vintage goods.

The vast majority of merchandise for sale on the site comes from China and overseas sweat shops.  The people who sell this junk are allowed to claim it is handmade and vintage.

Still, no other site has the traffic that Etsy does for real vintage and handmade sellers.  The smart sellers are branching out, using Etsy as they can, but going to other platforms or doing their own standalone.

** Question for readers- anyone who has used another platform to sell vintage and/or handmade, and has had better success than on Etsy, could you recommend a particular place to us?

I know that ECB has listed the top selling venues but I would love to hear firsthand of success.  Thanks.
by: funkygrrl This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 25 11:12:33 2017
Actually Ebay has a ton more traffic for vintage sellers. I gave up on Etsy for vintage 3 years ago and haven't looked back. They made it clear long ago that they don't care about us. Ebay is #37 worldwide in visits according to Alexa. Amazon is #11. Etsy doesn't even make the list of the top 100.

For handmade though, I totally agree that Etsy is where it's at, although I haven't heard much lately about how sellers are doing on Amazon handmade.
by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 29 09:11:21 2017
I sell on eBay, Etsy, and Ruby Lane--buy as well--and I LOOOOOVVVVVEEEE Pay Pal. With one 3rd party payer, my accounting is easier. I don't WANT multiple 1099s. Etsy is the site where I sell the least.
by: Etoile This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 31 23:06:19 2017
I don't get how Etsy can take their percentage on tax added on to the cost of the item. We would be paying their percentage on product, shipping, and tax.
Any thoughts on this?