728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Classifieds
 EKG
 Ratings
Wed Feb 8 2017 14:37:14

eBay Shuts Down Seller Associated with Former Employer

By: Reader
eBay shut me down - delisted my items and my shop, including, they point out, any future stores I might open under any name (I assume they are tracking my IP address). They said it was because of an issue with store "xyz" (protecting the innocent here)...and that I need to write from that email to straighten it out.

"Xyz" was a store I opened for the company I used to work for over 2 years ago. The email I had there is long defunct.

I contacted a friend there who runs the store now. He assured me there are no violations or issues in that account. He also made sure my name was nowhere associated.

Three times I tried back and forth to explain I have nothing to do with the store they associate me with. The responses I get indicate they read my note, but again continue the same assertion. The insanity of it all evidently escapes them.

I ask if someone could call, as surely there would be no issue if I could explain this to a live person... but they seem to just want me to go away.

I have business with other marketplaces and retailers (who are easy to talk to :)... special shout out to Amazon and Wayfair) and so luckily this was more an annoyance than critical.

Nonetheless, I admit, it is upsetting to be wrongly accused.

In any event, worth sharing in case any one else has been through similar.
RJP
Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: eBay Shuts Down Seller Associated with Former Employer

eBay Shuts Down Seller Associated with Former Empl   eBay Shuts Down Seller Associated with Former Empl
by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 14:47:27 2017
Deep down under all the mess I believe that there is a whole lot more going on than the writer lets on.

Reasoning being if it was me and I knew I was clean I sure as heck wouldn't be playing with ebay and their minons, I would have my lawyer getting ready to amputate their gonads.
by: eclectic trrader This user has validated their user name.

Wed Feb 8 18:17:08 2017
as with many of us on Ebay you are probably the victim of ofshore service personnel who make decisions of basis of their fragmentary training and are not appealable. What is decided in Manila stays in Manila.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 9 03:00:04 2017
The first mistake is trying to take care of this very important issue via email.  This is a serious issue and should be handled via the phone not an email.  It is far too easy for them to brush you off in an email.

Calling could result in a lot of your time and you may have to call multiple times to actually get to someone that knows what they are doing.  But with what you have going on, calling is what you will have to do to get it fixed.

I also agree with froggy.  There has to be more going on here than stated in the article.  Either the friend at the other company isn't being fully honest with the OP or something.

While shutting the OP down may or may not be for a good reason, the bot that shut them down did see something.  It didn't just happen.  There is a reason, at this point it is just a mystery yet to be solved.
This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Feb 9 07:51:44 2017
Marie says "the bot that shut them down did see something"

Nuff said.  The wise and powerful bots. The question is did an actual qualified human come in and substantiate what the bot "saw".   Oey vey!
by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 9 10:57:01 2017
@rexford

Never use the words qualified human and ebay in the same sentence. Its to funny at 6 in the morning
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Feb 9 12:57:08 2017
@rexford

Please keep in mind I did NOT say they were right.  I simply said the bot noticed something.  A bot is only as good as its programming.

I think it is doubtful that a live person reviewed it before Ebay took action.  It sounds reasonable that a bot should just generate a report for review by someone, but I really don't think Ebay does that.
This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Feb 9 20:05:40 2017
@RJP (the OP) - Depending on how much money you make from eBay sales, it might be worth it to invest in a letter from an attorney. Relating your story and having the attorney draft and mail the letter shouldn't be more than a couple of hours.

eBay's General Counsel is Marie Oh Huber, and the address is 2065 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, California 95125
by: thriftyattireandstuff This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 00:24:24 2017
This letter is completely useless. The writer didn't perform any diligence on their part to find out what happened, gives us no information on what the actual letter said other than it had something to do with 'xyz' and then makes sure to shill for two other online marketplaces.. Something's fishy here.
by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 00:41:53 2017
At the company I worked at Ebay kept a record of the former low level employee who managed the ebay account and it was apparently all over their system.
I then took over and even after the guy was gone for a couple years I would still get emails from ebay addressed to him by name. It was surreal.
Ebay just surmises that the person they heard of is the one who is going to be there. But I just worked there, as did he.
So it's no real surprise that the OP's name is associated with the former employer in ebay's system, and they just think that makes perfect sense.
I agree with froggy, something must have happened at the OP's old gig. Some sort of dishonesty. They don't want to talk about it. And ebay is smearing the OP with it.
It might be time to send the ebay company a lawyer letter.
by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 00:59:16 2017
Seems strange that your IP did not change for two years.  Most networks are now assigning IPv6 numbers, so your IP should have changed even if you have an old computer.  Have you tried releasing the IP and requesting a new one for your cable modem?
by: pebbles This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 10:05:19 2017
My question is: what did the other companythat you were associated with do? You only tell half of the story...
by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 11:17:21 2017
With Ebay you are guilty until YOU prove otherwise.

I have had something somewhat similar. It had to do with the Ebay account for the business that I owned. I had an employee work that part of the business. There weren't any major issues, but things had occurred that resulted in the occasional negative feedback. The issue for me came over a year after I closed the business . While Ebay never suspended my ability to sell, they had the entire history in front of them, linked my personal accounts and my wife's accounts. They had attempted to impose some strict limits citing all past performance as their reason. I was able to talk with someone and get those limits lifted. The shocking part was the fact they track and retain my entire selling history. It is for this reason that NO ONE should ever help, list for or have their name associated anywhere with any other person's account. I have a homeless friend that I would ship packages for just to help him out. Well I had to stop because he was slow to send his orders and holds were being placed on his funds. I did not want Ebay linking me to that mess.

As for the OP, there must be some very serious issues out there that you might not even recognize. Perhaps your account has been incorrectly linked to another. You won't know until you talk to someone who is skilled and can give you answers. My question to you is, why bother with Ebay at all? You say you sell on other sites. Forget about them; they aren't worth the trouble. Your going to get one sale out of 15 on Amazon. Ebay is going to kick the bucket eventually.

However I do understand the desire to clear your name. In that case, I agree with some other posters here. Spend a few hundred dollars, hire a lawyer to draft a letter. I suspect your case won't be worth the effort and your ability to sell will be restored. Good luck.
by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 10 12:33:15 2017
That is our is our best friend and trading partner - eBay!

Here today, gone tomorrow.

When will it be your turn?
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Sat Feb 11 02:35:06 2017
I  agree  that  something  here  is NOT  Kosher.  However  if  the OP  wants  to TRY  and  talk  some  sense  into ebay  they might--might!!!--be  better  off  going thru PAYPAL.  first  off--they ANSWER  THEIR DAMN PHONES.  And  they  do not want to LOSE  money.  Ebay  seems  completly UNconcerned  about  that  unless  they think  you are  using THEM to find buyers  and NOT  giving  THEM  the vig.

So--call PAYPAL  and  explain  and  they will most  likely "Conferance Call"  ebay  for  you;  I  have  had  this done a few  times  and it  seem to  work  MUCH  better than  trying to  explain ANYTHING  to  ANYONE  working at  actual  ebay. You also might  need to  speak  to  the TECHNICAL DEPT  at  ebay  to find out WHY  this  ISP  is  an  issue  or  if  there is  something  more to it;  I have heard of  people in the same building or same  cable  system  being BLAMED for  some one completely  DIFFERENT  doing  something  wrong and that ebay  just  shuts YOU  off.

I  would  love  to hear  the follow  up  to  this!

buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)