Thu Nov 9 2017 19:40:01

Rep Tells Seller eBay Lacks Resources to Fight Fakes

In the process of getting my eBay listings prepped for my upcoming holiday sales I decided to take a look at my competition on eBay. Not so surprisingly, I found a whole bunch of people in my category trying to pass off fake name brand jewelry as authentic and others putting in a brand name in their listings to get their items to the top of the search for that particular brand(s).

I proceeded to call eBay (twice) to alert them of the flagrant misuse of sellers (many from China) gaming the system with fake items and deceptive listings. I also told the rep specifically how some sellers were hiding the brand name in the variations area so their products could be seen in the eBay search engine when buyers search for the name brand item.

I was told how great I was for calling to alert the eBay team of these issues, that no one else has ever called them to say this was happening, and that these buyers would be hit with violations immediately.

That was 2 weeks ago. Of course the same sellers are still on eBay selling the same items in the same category using the same brand name on their fake items and having the same deceptive listings.

I called again today to report the same items and additional ones and was told that eBay probably didn't have the appropriate number of team workers to actually follow up on the violations so the most they were probably doing was giving the sellers notice of violations (IF that was indeed happening) and then not following back up to make sure the corrections were being made.

I can't compete on eBay with this going on and I cannot believe that eBay allows it to happen. It seems to have gotten worse every year because nothing is done about it. They wonder why they have lost so many buyers?! And eBay is trying to lure new buyers in with tv ads, but what good does any of it do if a new buyer tries to buy an eBay item and discovers that it's fake?  Of course the new buyer will not only never buy on eBay again, but spread the good word to their friends.

I'm very perplexed about how this is allowed to happen!!! So what should I do - give up on eBay or start selling fake items like everyone else is doing???

Signed
"Going Broke on eBay"

Rep Tells Seller eBay Lacks Resources to Fight Fak   Rep Tells Seller eBay Lacks Resources to Fight Fak

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Nov 11 16:28:36 2017

@toolguy - That's exactly what happened to me last year with a sale on eCrater. As soon as the buyer received the item, she started bombarding me with e-mails saying it was a fake item and to refund her money. I responded that I would hardly refund her money when she still had my item. She then stated that she didn't know how to handle returns. Riiiiight. She eventually returned it, and she got her money back minus a portion for damage she did. I'm guessing that she's pulled that scam a bunch of times on eBay and got items and all her money back.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Nov 11 17:18:16 2017

@iheartjacksparrow

It's against FEDERAL law to mail a fake or counterfeit item thru the US Postal Service.

From what I hear eBay tells buyers to DESTROY the item before they get a refund. . .

This user has validated their user name. by: BuildingMyOwnSite

Sat Nov 11 19:15:17 2017

@Ming said:  Even with a police report, ebafia does nothing with stolen merchandise reports.

No, local police have enough to do without policing the world wide web.  For the last decade or more around here, 60% of police/sheriff budgets go to crack alone.

There was a time when we could leave a 300.00 Large Roseville vase sitting out on a table, in our BM store.  Roseville collectors stole little back in the 60's-90's.   Then came Ebay, and Really Big Purses.   Suddenly there was a way to  gain a Retail Value from shoplifting.  Entire traveling gangs grew up around Antique Shop thefts, and quick Ebay sales.

We chuckled 100's of times as we researched items on Ebay, and saw everything from Roseville Vases, Sterling Silver, Blown Glassware , and even Spool Cabinets, photographed on beds.  Whenever you saw an antique on a bed, there would also be some drapes in the background, and a heating/air conditioning unit showing just under the drapes......  How come that seller always photographed their items on a bed?

Lets play: Name That 59.00 Motel.....

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Nov 11 22:07:04 2017

@toolguy - Just so you understand, the item I sold was not a counterfeit; I purchased it at The Disneyland Resort from one of their shops with the original hang tag attached with the correct SKU number. So mailing through the USPS was not an issue. And I guarantee my buyer knew it was authentic.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 12 07:13:43 2017

The only thing the seller can do is hit the "REPORT ITEM" button, which is very hard to find on the product page.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Nov 12 10:31:55 2017

Here's a great article on obvious fakes:

rs-share-hilarious-China-knockoffs.html

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Nov 12 12:31:17 2017

... the issue is that eBay itself is a FAKE ecommerce site - thats why they dont know/care about "so called fakes".

Amazon, Walmart, Target etc - even buy.com - those are all REAL ecommerce sites.

eBay just exists to fleece people 80% sellers/%20 buyers out of money - cause "whatcha gonna do about it"?

The Triads are just dumb for using Tech 9's, the Yakuza waste so much folded Japanese steel, and the Jersey mob clogs landfills with way too many crushed cars with bodies in it.

Its SO MUCH SIMPLE to set up a pretend ecommerce site and fleece everyone who walks in the door (except beloveds) of all their cash !

The Cons:

1) Seller Protection
2) Automatic Returns
3) Taking money for listing items then not showing them
4) Putting beloveds on top and in front
5) Pretending Paypal is a separate company to fleece anyone who escaped eBay
6) promoting fake goods
7) Charging makers to use VERO to wipeout sellers they dont like
8) charging %10 on SHIPPING
9) letting morons like Triniton make up rules on the fly to hurt sellers
10) active witch hunts as they see fit on innocent sellers

shall I go on?

Its the same as racketeering, fraud, and theft ... just in different words

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Sun Nov 12 15:51:44 2017

Vintage espionage smartly sums up eBay's accessory and cohort in crime business model.

by: Leesantiques This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 13 09:42:12 2017

Same thing that was happening over 12 years ago, and has been happening ever since.  I had a chance, back in 2006, at the Boston Ebay event, to ask the then head of Ebay security about reports of violations and why there isn't any response back on them. He said that it was due to privacy concerns.  I never did get an explanation of what expectation of privacy a fake tea pot might have....

Lee

by: epuise This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 13 10:04:49 2017

The President's family makes stuff in China... it's obviously what "they" want, no ?... why shouldn't venues promote & make money selling the stuff ?

by: Frank F This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 13 11:03:27 2017

epuise! Its one thing to manufacturer product in China, but its vastly another for Chinese criminals to steal other companies trademarks and manufacture said items.

They (China) can make all the widgets they want but if its using trademarked logos from Harley Davidson, or Disney or Superman or the Green Bay Packers or the 1000s of others that are openly sold by these thieves it is a criminal offense. And any marketplace that openly allows it, is a partner in the crime! PS: And talk about a double standard, if I were to start selling 'EBAY' items with their logo, they would be on me 'like a fly on you know what'!!

We ALL should report every true trademark infringing counterfeit item we see to the brand owner! I would just love to see ebay peppered with take down request from vero for the next month! Clean their crooked clock!!

by: wheredidebaygo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 13 16:11:06 2017

I really, really wish an eBay "insider" would write a book concerning all of the above. Or is that just wasted wishful thinking?

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Tue Nov 14 06:31:59 2017

eBay--the Canal Street of ecommerce.

1 2