Tue Nov 7 2017 06:47:58

Seller Finds eBay Relists His Already Sold Unique Items

By: Reader

I sell one of a kind antiques and collectibles on eBay and have done so since 2002, having completed more than 31,700 transactions. This year I have experienced 22 items selling again, after they previously sold, even though I had not relisted the items, as they were no longer available.

It happened 5 times in the first week of October, so I decided to end all 2,000+ active listings I had on eBay and relist every item one at a time, verifying the item and the listing. It took me a month and countless hours of my time, plus over a thousand dollars in lost sales.

My findings were shocking to me. I discovered 48 duplicate listings for items previously sold, all relisted randomly by eBay's error prone software.

Another issue: 46 items I relisted lost all the photos in the listing within an hour of reposting. I called eBay and was told at first the photos meet all guidelines but then was told that one scan shows they meet resolution guidelines but when eBay scans with a different piece of software they do not meet guidelines.

I asked why I did not get any error messages when listing, no answer, they are still checking on that. It's only been 3 weeks, since they said they'd get back to me.

What I found was they were all originally listed before a certain date, it has nothing to do with resolution, just probably on an older server at eBay. The photos are there when I go in to revise, but won't display, so I had to retake them all and repost.

Lastly and most shocking to me, I discovered 195 items I had listed representing thousands of dollars in sales revenue to me had disappeared from eBay altogether. There was neither an active or inactive listing. Some of the items had been listed within the last 60 days.

If there was a viable alternative, I would fire eBay as a vendor tomorrow for their incompetence and lack of commitment to delivering a good and reliable product. I went through this as I was tired of apologizing to customers whom were disappointed I had an active listing for something previously sold.

What I discovered about eBay's selling platform left me with little confidence in the site and I can't afford to take a month a year to keep verifying my inventory hasn't randomly disappeared without even giving me a relisting option. 1 star from this long time Power Seller.

I also wonder, if eBay was charging me $4.60 a month for those 46 duplicate listings, how mush are they profitting by doing the same thing to other sellers. I imagine they are raking in millions of dollars a year off this error and have little incentive to actually fix it.
Steve

Seller Finds eBay Relists His Already Sold Unique   Seller Finds eBay Relists His Already Sold Unique

by: papertrail This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 07:58:33 2017

I sell one off items too. About once a month I find an item sells that I know that I have sold before. eBay will not have a bar of it that it is them and not me.

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 08:14:41 2017

lol: ''I also wonder, if eBay was charging me $4.60 a month for those 46 duplicate listings, how mush are they profitting by doing the same thing to other sellers.''

I would bet on that. I've often thought that their fees database presentation is the mess of data that it is solely to make it a real bother to check whether fees charged correctly.  Paranoia probably, but in the last 6-7 years of constant and repeating errors on eBay's part why would there be any trust for any part of eBay's output.

by: Linda This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 08:42:34 2017

Yup, Something sold last night that I didn't have. I am always battling the unsold items area and never will do GTC listings. The Unsold items area stinks because it has all these options for time frames and that can screw people up. And the numbers are never rightI have lost so many listings I need to now spend time doing ANOTHER inventory.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 09:43:42 2017

Gesh people this has been going on for years. Most of the old timers have experienced this more than they care to remember. Ebay is as helpful as a leaking bucket. They admit to nothing and point the finger to the seller.

Just get used to it. Ebay can't fix something that they won't admit to happening.

They could care less.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue Nov 7 09:44:00 2017

I've sold over 35,000 items on eBay

NEVER had that happen!

Never sold anything I don't have and eBay has never listed an item I already sold.

Never had a listing disappear either.

I manage my inventory with a magnifying glass, every item gets a bin number. No hunting or losing items!

by: Deacon Blues This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 10:04:17 2017

Reading this letter tells me that those occasional unexplained stock-outs are not necessarily a result of my own absent mindedness. I was beginning to think I was loosing my marbles (I still may be). Considering the heavy penalties eBay places on sellers who stock-out, one would think management would assign a bit more effort in keeping their (our!) data correct. One more thing to have to look out for.

by: aim04744 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 10:22:28 2017

This has been happening for years. And EBay repeatedly says there is no problem. In fact, they instituted defects for sellers for out of stock items while this problem was happening. I am surprised that EBay is still in business.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 12:00:18 2017

I have written about this previously as it has been happening to me as well lately. Over the weekend it happened again.  And the benefit of this...they gig you in your metrics for their mistake.  This has been happening with such frequency, that I am now printing out my ''not relisted'' items for ''proof''.  The paranoid side of me thinks it is ebay slowly eliminating legacy sellers via this metric and alleged ''glitch''.  Another issue is, even if you have proof, such as I do, you cannot get past the moron CS who is absolutely useless.  I truly hate ebay....

This user has validated their user name. by: eXtinctBay

Tue Nov 7 12:01:16 2017

Never (thankfully) have had this happen to me on eBay, at least as of yet.

But this has happened to myself and other sellers on Amazon. Very, very frustrating when an item sells, and you cannot find it in your inventory!!

Also unbelievable when these sites punish their sellers for non-fulfillment of an order, and the problem was caused by bad software management, and no fault of the 3P seller whatsoever.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 14:23:40 2017

the fleecebay "glitch" of randomly relisting items that have already sold got me a few times.

been going on well over a year. and of course calling csr does no good. they deny it happened.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 15:36:12 2017

"and of course calling csr does no good. they deny it happened"
If they did not work at the call center in Manila, they would work at Dunkin Donuts or someplace similar.  They have absolutely no skills other than a "pulse".  This is the respect ebay gives to its sellers...having to deal with these idiots.  There really is no serious way to get to anyone who can actually do anything about anything....how is that possible.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 7 15:53:28 2017

In the past few months, I've been updating old listings.  I have found that roughly 5% of the items I thought were listed were not. If I pick up a box of 100 items and revise them...five are not listed. Where did the listings go?  I have no idea- but 5% is too much to solely be my error.

by: Beth This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 8 08:40:51 2017

Like OP I had this all happen too.  I had repeated defects for out of stock in 2016 so in 2017 we inventoried all our shelves, boxes and tubs one at a time.  less then 40% of our merchandise, which didn't go on a shelf or in a tub or box until it was listed was still listed.

I had already elminiated the duplicate listinig issue by downloading files from ebay and setting up in Excell to automatically highlight duplicate content is several different fields.  But the fact is I have spent the whole year relisting inventoyr that should have sold when it was "hot" and instead ebay dumped in a bin somewhere and never said a word.

I'll be making intense adjustments to what gets listed on ebay and what gets moved to other venues.  They are so busy playing games with visibilty that they've ruined their marketplace for most of us.  Bye Felicia!

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 9 00:21:32 2017

I rarely have a week pass, that this doesn't happen to me.  It has been going on for over a year.
When it first started happening, I would call, only for them to tell me that I was unknowingly--or not--relisting the item I had already sold.  They had never heard of such a thing!  And everyone  who reported the same problem in the forums were either as delusional as I, or a liar.
 I no longer call.  I tell my buyer what happened, truthfully, and make a refund.  So far, I have never had any of the buyers question me.
 When I get an offer, I make darn sure the item is in my hand before I accept.  I can't keep track of a thousand different items (vintage and antique) and keep up with all of eBay's mistakes and issues.

by: imbloated This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 9 00:34:59 2017

I took advantage of the sales offer to sell three items and pay no final value fee. When I filled out the new, extremely simplified listing form, the form said "Good 'till cancelled." There was no clickable option to change to a 30 day or 7 day listing. I listed it anyway, thinking I would just revise it. There was no option in "revise listing" either. Customer service denied that this was possible. I should have taken a screen shot. This sale was for infrequent sellers, so ebay snuck in gtc knowing that new sellers wouldn't know about the sneaky hidden fees after 30 days.

by: cash4clothesbozeman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 9 00:49:38 2017

I have worked long an hard on this issue.  I have seen a jump in October with the force of the Hub.  This set me on a new hunt.  What I have found is
1.  Never relist from your UNSOLD FILE,  Only relist from your ENDED FILE.
2. I was sent by eBay to Google duplicate listings to check my Lisitngs.  There system cannot pick up what google did.  I had 14 items that needed adjustment.
These were lisitngs that had a different photo but the same description.
3.  If listing through the eBay tool make sure you have not created a template.

I have lost my TR+ status due to 8 items that are phantom.
I carry over 10k items and am curious how many items on my shelf are not in the Que.

cash4clothesbozeman.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 9 01:55:08 2017

Ebay knows it has a glitch with the duplicate listings.  I believe they're working on it, but it can't come soon enough.  If you go to downdetector and some of the forums there are so many glitches and the UnSold & Ended folders are a mess.  If you end an item because "it is no longer available" (meaning you sold it elsewhere) why would that item go into the Ended or Unsold folder?
EB should be trying to clean up it's antiquated programming asap.

by: val2525 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 9 13:05:07 2017

Disappearing listings has been going on ever since I started selling on eBay, and that's been about 12 years.  I do a listing inventory twice a year and ALWAYS find MIA listings.

by: Privatescreening This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 9 13:35:27 2017

Wow! l thought l was the only one to have this problem, I️ had 3000 items on EBay in 300 bins, all are one of a kind type collectibles and antiques,  l too had to down scale to about 1500,
About every two weeks , l would find that 1 item had sold awhile back and just sold again, not knowing it was even delisted on in my store for how many months.?  Starting at the first of the year, I️ am going through every item and if it hasn’t sold in 6 months it’s off eBay, and down the road to my next yard sale. “ keep it small take it all” motto!

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 10 03:01:22 2017

Glad to see a thread on this - it's happened to me 3 times in the past few months.  Yes this "ghost" relisting has happened for many years. Ebay has refused to address the issue. But now - I believe it is re-occurring at a more constant basis. I believe (call me crazy) it is now a tool for ebay to use against the sellers to throttle back their TRP seller statis.  I haven't even bothered to argue with them in the last couple of months because they yanked my own TRP status away from me this past summer.  After 18 years I am now a "banished" flunky.  I take it for what it is. Just a venue to make money.  I have now moved any higher end items to another TRP store - at least if something sells there I didn't take that 10% hit.  I now leave only low end items in that store. Haven't you all figured out that everything their doing is to increase their bottom line for the stock holders? the end of the quarter is not going to look very good for the chief. And 1st quarter when enough fed up seller leave ? well this is truly a sinking ship - been listing more items on craigslist and facebook these days. Still looking for that good place to sell - we all know it's not amazon.