Wed Oct 4 2017 19:07:13

Walmart Practice Proves Costly to Third Party Merchant

By: Reader

I am not sure if you have heard this from any other Walmart Marketplace sellers but there are some disturbing decisions being made by Walmart that your readers should know about. While reviewing our latest bi-weekly payment report, my accountant has noticed that Walmart has refunded customers on some sales orders without explanation.

When I opened cases for these orders looking for an explanation, the "answers" I was given are downright terrifying for sellers.

On most of these orders, Walmart is claiming that customers reach out to them with issues. Walmart, with the customer on the phone, will then call our customer service number to discuss the problem with the order.

However, these customer service reps from Walmart are not leaving voicemails so if I am not at my desk because we are closed, out at lunch, in the bathroom, etc., they are blindly just refunding customers without any notice.

For two of the orders they refunded, Walmart customer service reps showed me their call logs, they called (after 9 pm) and we close at 6:00 PM EST, so basically if you call Walmart customer service at night, you are getting a free item because I can't imagine that all Marketplace Sellers are open 24/7/365.

Thanks,
(Name withheld)

Walmart Practice Proves Costly to Third Party Merc   Walmart Practice Proves Costly to Third Party Merc

by: TomH This user has validated their user name.

Wed Oct 4 20:53:55 2017

lol, but it is serious and it's amazing how this just ties in completely with some recent discussions here on Ina's blogs in the last few days.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 04:54:56 2017

OP -- is this refund being deducted from your revenue?

I sell on Tradesy (which just went up to 20% on sales! ouch!) and I like what they do.  If a buyer wants returns an item, they return it to TRADESY which has a couple of consignment stores and resells the item at their ONLINE consignment site.  TRADESY refunds them (I don't) and relists the item online and in their stores.  I never know if the item was returned, I never have my account touched for refunds.  I like that and wish everyone did it that way.  I know it's costly to have a B&M store and then relist online, but once TRADESY gets the item back, they can sell it for whatever amount they want.

by: TFB12 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Oct 5 09:57:17 2017

OP here. On our payment report, (Walmart pays bi-weekly via wire) it shows a payment being made and the line below, a credit being taken for the same amount. The funds are being taken from sellers, not from Walmart's pocket. For all of the bad things about eBay, and I bash eBay with the best of them, at least in these situations they refund from their own pockets.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Fri Oct 6 15:12:44 2017

Sue them

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Sun Oct 8 11:36:17 2017

Walmart is bad. It is so unprofessional. I will have to look at my account. I still have my phone on a cell so even though walmart insists it be hooked to the wall I choose to disregard this rule. I guess I will have to start answering even if it is inconvenient just in case it is walmart. Walmart customers do like to call.

Walmart requires that the 3P send a "meaningful" reply to the buyer within 24 hours or they will refund the money.  Meaningful means an answer and not a we'll get back to you message. This goes for weekends and holidays as well. Should something go wrong you are supposed to be able to show them the email where you answered it within 24 hours. This will be hard to do if it was a phone call.

Also, when you ask about the stupid new metrics being wrong, the answer is "if you get suspended then we will look at that situation". Ridiculous!

Walmart CSR will answer the questions but they are always non answers and they went down 3 days in a row this week. If you have not signed up for that mess. They are not ready. Just don't. It too is getting worse on a daily basis.

by: TFB12 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 10:54:36 2017

Exactly Barbbie! They expect that "meaningful response" within 24 hours (holidays and weekends included) but if you open a case with them on a Friday, it's typical to not get any response until Monday afternoon. There is literally zero way to ever get anybody from Walmart on the phone. I even watched one of their webinars about their new standards and sent a followup email to the moderator with some questions and was told to open a case. We have also found multiple things counting against us on their metrics and got the same BS response you did. They really don't have any idea of what they are doing right now. Whatever, they just banned our category anyways (with no announcement, a CSR told me on a case), so we are just going to ride it out until they unpublish our listings.

by: Barbbie This user has validated their user name.

Mon Oct 9 11:13:27 2017

I looked and had not found the any money taken from my account on the last check. But, like I said my phone is a cell so I answer most of  the time.
I wish they had a seller forum or even just a technical issue area so at least we could get some answers on down time without having to open a case to tell them and being told everyone else reported it too.
Can you just switch listings to a new category?