Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Marketing Inserts
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Fri May 25 2012 15:29:33

eBay Displays Incorrect Percentages for TRS Tracking Info

Yesterday, I spent 1/2 hour on the telephone with eBay customer service regarding the incorrect percentages that are appearing in "Tracking uploaded with started handling time" in the Preview of the new Top-rated seller program pop-up window.

Although mine have been, and should be, at 100%, they now read 28.57%. All individual items clearly display the correct tracking numbers that comply with the slated handling time.

The customer service rep, try as she may, did not understand what I was referring to, despite referring to my account many times. After repeatedly trying to explain that my inquiry solely regarded the incorrect percentage now displaying in my tracking upload performance, and being placed on hold several times, I believe that she may have finally understood what I was referring to. The conversation ended with the service rep stating that it was a "bug related issue" and that she would report it.

Whether or not it will be resolved remains uncertain. Whether or not all individual cases that show the error will be corrected seems uncertain. Whether or not this will be corrected so as not to effect an individual Top-rated seller's performance is also uncertain.

Apparently, the outlook for my Top-rated Seller status is uncertain and, if "bugs" are the case, I image that my account is not alone. Is eBay aware of this problem, and are they working to make a correction?

Thanks for any insight that you, or anyone else, may have. All should be aware of a potential problem with their Top-rated Seller status, since there seems to be no acknowledgement from eBay.
JF

Note from the Editor: This reader is referring to a new policy impacting Top Rated Sellers in which they must upload tracking information or a Delivery Confirmation numbers to eBay on at least 90% of their shipments to U.S. buyers within their stated handling time (also see this EcommerceBytes Blog post).

We're awaiting response from eBay spokesperson Johnna Hoff about the tracking glitch.

Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: eBay Displays Incorrect Percentages for TRS Tracking Info

eBay Displays Incorrect Percentages for TRS Tracki   eBay Displays Incorrect Percentages for TRS Tracki
by: CtrlAltDeviant This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 16:31:27 2012
Does JF primarily list with GTC store format and did they recently revise all listings from a longer handling time to 1 day? The preview percentage calculation seems to only factor in the *current* handling time for the sales history of GTC items and doesn't retroactively recognize what the handling time was for listings at the time the transactions in your sales history occurred.

For example, I sell only in GTC format. I used to have 2 day handling for all my items and had 100% for my tracking within stated handling percentage. I revised all of my GTC listings to 1 day handling shortly after the new policy was announced, and immediately after doing that my preview percentage dropped. Over time since then, the preview percentage has steadily increased to nearly 100% again as the 2 day handling time transactions have dropped off and out of the sales period used to calculate the percentage.

I believe this is why eBay has been urging sellers to switch to 1 day as soon as possible and offering the extra 5% discount. Once you've switched GTC listings over to 1 day handling, the system apparently needs to have a chunk of transaction history during which *all* the listings/transactions had 1 day handling in order to accurately reflect compliance.

eBay stated somewhere in the new policy details the length of sales transaction history they will use to calculate compliance percentage once the policy goes live (30 days I think if memory serves). What they didn't state was this seeming inability of the system to recognize different handling times over the sales history of GTC listings. Unfortunately I doubt if their customer service reps have been briefed, as they often seem to know less about eBay's policies than sellers do.

by: jan This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 17:02:31 2012
The same thing happened to me. I print shipping label as soon as payment is received. So shipping info is uploaded in less than a day every single time. I am 100%, but they show me at 85%.
by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 18:28:08 2012
It seems like we should be at 100% as well.

It would be very helpful if eBay could provide the actual TransactionID's of the disqualified transactions.

I wonder if eBay is including unpaid items in the divisor?
by: Kelly This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 18:40:55 2012
me too--I always have 1-day handling and upload the tracking when I print the label (which is usually within a few hours of payment.) Yet I am at 85% ..... just a bug, ebay says....an intentional bug IMO!
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 25 18:44:24 2012
Sorry, eBay. Your policies are stupid. Your programming sucks. The dashboard is useless. The hoops are too high. The rules are too complicated. The rewards are too small. Hardly worth the effort.

Yet, when I do make the effort, the promised rewards STILL do not materialize. Hidden listings. Anemic page views. Dismal sales.

You sure to make me work hard for that 20-cents savings! Fact of the matter is that the only reason I stay at eBay is to drive sales to my web site (and for that, I suppose I should thank you.)

But, my dear eBay, as my web site continues to grow and drastically outpace anything I'm doing on eBay... keep this little nugget in mind: IT COULD HAVE ALL BEEN YOURS!!

I was perfectly content (and quite proud of the fact) that I had successful eBay store. I even had the printer put the eBay logo on my business cards. Now... I'll only acknowledge my eBay presence and history if someone asks. And even then, I'll grudgingly admit that eBay was ''how-I-got-my-start''.

When friends and relatives express an interest in selling some of their own ''garage sale'' items on eBay... they get an earful from me, and they (wisely) run (quickly) in the opposite direction.

For those seller who remain at eBay because they feel they have no other options... and because they NEED the supplemental income (or in some cases, the ONLY income) they derive from eBay... I have the greatest sympathy for them.

For those sellers who are TRYING to make it work... and that eBay treats as an ADVERSARY instead of as a PARTNER... they are the ones who are hurt the most from these types of ''glitches'' and ''bugs''.

Perhaps it's just a benign bug that's only affecting the accuracy of the information that's displayed on the seller's dashboard. ~~ If true, then it's annoying and irritating... but (hopefully) not costly to the seller.

What I fear... and the more likely outcome... is that if eBay's amateur programmers can't get accurate information on the dashboard display... they're probably not going to be able to get the BILLING to be accurate either.

Fun stuff, eh? Let the good times roll!
by: innerpuppie This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 19:34:25 2012
Along the same line - early yesterday I showed 100% compliance across the board for the new 'standards'. By the afternoon it had dropped. Uhm, I ship within 24 hours, sometimes the same day. So, I scratched my head and wondered what happened and called eBay. Come to find out, my percentage was lowered because a sale I had made that wasn't paid for - one that I received a refund in FVFs from that day - was marked 'paid' by the buyer. So, the eBay program reduced my percentage because I didn't mail a package within 24 hours for something that hadn't been paid for - go figure. They said they'd correct the problem; however, all they've done so far is erase the sale from my sales record. The reduced percentage is still there. I'm going to give it a couple more days and then call again if the problem isn't corrected.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Fri May 25 20:42:43 2012
--- ''Sellers beware! If a buyer marks that they have paid for something when, in truth, they haven't, eBay will expect you to mail the item within 24 hours or they'll ding you!''

Instead of lifting us up and helping small sellers to succeed, they set booby-traps and landmines for us. Diamond sellers have the sales-volume to easily negate this type of thing (not to mention the sweetheart deals that make the 20% ''discount'' unnecessary for them)... it's the small sellers with the low volume that this type of thing has a disproportionate impact on.
by: used2luv2sell This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 21:35:19 2012
I show 31 of 33 items shipped within a day, when in fact, it's 33 of 33.  The funny part is that all of my shipping was purchased through Ebay shipping, so I am not to blame if it wasn't uploaded on time or correctly.

Just one more chance to prove to sellers that they are willing to lie, cheat and steal to get the results they need to keep us from meeting their standards.

Another fine job well done, Ebay!  It's too bad you don't have any expectations of your own management team!  Sellers would give you a giant BELOW STANDARD if we could.
This user has validated their user name. by: TheCheapSkirt

Fri May 25 23:38:28 2012
I had the a similar issue.  I am 100% in compliance and have been for months, but now my dashboard says only 85.71% of my listings offer 1-day handling and 14-day money back return policy.

I called ebay and asked them which listings were not in compliance, as every one I saw currently and back to the date of the review and even before that qualified.

The rep could not tell me which one.  He said if I saw that every one of my listings was in compliance, to go with that information and ignore what the Seller Dashboard says.

He said it is not working properly.

I said I was concerned that it work properly when the switch is made in June.  He said he "hoped" it was.

Yes, this is what our bill is being calculated on.  "Hope".
by: Bloggo This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 26 11:38:40 2012
We are The Borg. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.
This user has validated their user name. by: basset

Sat May 26 13:07:31 2012
My dashboard says "all your base are belong to us"
by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 26 15:22:05 2012
I have reported this several times to eBay (and I have the issue posted on EKG, but no one has clicked to report that they are experiencing the issue). My latest report was yesterday. The CSR I spoke to seemed to understand and agreed with the many example I showed him, although there is still a problem that will describe in a minute.
1st a little background: Some of my items show shipping time and tracking upload as far out as 30+ days from payment even though the tracking shows the items had shipped the same day, had been received, and positive feedback had been left by the buyers. This has been happening as long as the summary has been available, any the counts vary from day to day. The summary also shows 3 items with no tracking uploaded even though all of the sold items show tracking. I use Selling Manager Pro in the ''Paid and Shipped'' view with the ''days awaiting shipment'' field visible and then sort descending by that field. The number that shows in the summary matches the number of inaccuracies in the SMP view.
I have noticed that, just sometimes, when I open a sales record for one reason or another that the shipped date changes to the current date. I also see that the date on a large percentage of the records is off by at least one day. All of my orders are shipped through PayPal Multi Order Shipping. Correct me if I am wrong, but PayPal and eBay speak through xml about tracking info, and the almost weekly xml errors that are seen in PP Multi Order Shipping there is an issue here. I have gotten into the habit of checking the Paid and Shipped view to verify that the tracking has uploaded on all shipments (which I shouldn't have to), and for the most part 99.9% of the time they do. Later on, somehow the shipped date is being changed.
Now, back to my CSR experience yesterday. As I said, the CSR seemed to understand what I was talking about and apparently passed the issue on to the programmers, because the summary shows vastly different figures this morning. The problem is that the programmers adjusted the figure in my summary, but the stats are still the same in the paid and shipped view. Nothing was done to correct the issue, only to band aid what I was seeing in the summary.
I am 100% compliant with the shipping and tracking rules, yet yesterday my percentages were very close to the point that I would lose my TRS status, discounts, and search placement. I was assured by the CSR that if that happened for some reason that eBay would restore everything as if it never happened. Highly doubtful. My search standing would be destroyed. The search algorithm is dynamic, and placement changes at every refresh. Even the mighty OZ of eBay can't reset time, so there is no way to restore search visibility. Just keeps getting more stressful. BTW, the CSR I spoke with last week about the same thing said I shouldn't worry because I didn't lose my TRS status YET. Nice!!!
by: XebayX This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 26 15:49:59 2012
Additionally, buyers are able to leave less than 5 Stars for shipping time on the incorrect records. I know this because I have manually tracked all shipments since the summary 1st appeared with errors, and all of my sales shipped within 1 business day, and most were delivered by eBay's exaggerated delivery time requirement (a freakin USPS miracle), and the number that didn't is less than the sub 5 Star shipping time ratings I have received.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sat May 26 16:09:11 2012
--- ''Additionally, buyers are able to leave less than 5 Stars for shipping time on the incorrect records.''

No matter how many times I hear it, it still ASTOUNDS me that eBay takes these kinds of things so lightly... very dismissive. ''Oh, it's just a bug... just a glitch... we'll get it worked out.''

But it's things like this that could be the difference between a seller being able to run and improve their business... or being KICKED OFF of eBay (or losing a discount, or being visible in the search results.)

eBay sets the bar MUCH too high... and eBay makes the consequences of not reaching the bar MUCH to severe. The honest (but struggling) sellers do not deserve to be punished prematurely for eBay's ''glitches''.

When the stakes are so high, and the consequences so severe... eBay is OBLIGATED to make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the programming code that's used to measure compliance is 110% accurate and bug-free!!!

eBay has a MORAL DUTY to make sure it works.

(Hmmm. That looks weird... the words ''moral'' and ''eBay'' in the same sentence.)
by: RCL This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 27 11:28:19 2012
If one becomes a top rated seller by shipping daily, using online shipping for tracking info uploads, and allowing 2 weeks for returns, I think it doesn't say much about the quality of the seller. These new ''standards'' are stupid pet tricks for sellers.
by: adrian44 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 28 23:45:35 2012
You know I had to laugh at the stupidity of mafiaBay while shedding some real tears for those of you who have to put up with mafiaBay and the Godfather (JD). I quit selling almost 2 years ago and am I ever so very glad I did. Some of the things they come up with is so childish. TRS,
DSR's and all that garbage. It's like the sellers are in first grade and worried if they will get an A or a B-, they are pathetic!
by: adrian44 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 29 00:06:53 2012
In that last post I didn't mean the sellers are pathetic, I meant eBay is.
by: pennyrub This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 29 01:18:03 2012
Has anyone noticed that when a Paypal payment is held that when it finally clears it shows the buyer made the payment on the day they submitted it. Which makes the shipment and tracking late automatically. We don't have a chance with this. Also, what the heck do we do when we go on vacation? Close the store I guess...
by: cayenna This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 29 02:09:35 2012
I noticed a week or so ago that even though I was, and always pretty much have been; printing out shipping labels within 1 'hour' after my customers purchases every day; I was still being asked to 'print label' and therefore not getting credit for uploading tracking in time. Eventually it has worked itself out as it is now working.
This user has validated their user name. by: Kathryn77

Tue May 29 02:24:20 2012
I had a problem with my percentages, too. I use eBay to ship my labels, so the tracking info should be uploaded automatically.  I also have a one day handling time and a thirty day return policy.  So I'm meeting (or exceeding) eBay's requirements.  Yet a couple of weeks ago, my percentages for tracking info dropped from 100% to 85.3%.  I had two buyers that had purchased items, and after two weeks, they still had not paid.  I give buyers thirty days to pay because that is what eBay recommends.  I called customer service and asked why my percentage were not at 100%, and she said that their system must be counting the tracking info from the two buyers that had not paid for their purchases.  I told her that I couldn't send their item until they paid, and therefore, I couldn't upload tracking info.  She reported it to the technical department.  It took about five days, but my percentages are all at 100%.  If eBay expects sellers to be perfect, then eBay needs to be perfect, too.

Letters Blog Recent Posts