Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   ABTV   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Wed May 23 2012 07:07:10

eBay Shoe Seller 'Repelled' by Bad Buyer

By: Reader
On May 10th I shipped a new pair of heels to a buyer (name retracted) in New Jersey. On the 15th, she emailed me saying that she had received my package delivered by UPS (my package had shipped USPS) and instead of the shoes, I had sent her a box of electronic bug-repellers!!

First off, I knew there was some mistake here, as I did not ship UPS and eBay could easily see that my PayPal label to (name retracted) was sent USPS. (Name retracted) stated that her name was on the package I had sent - however (she said) the label was made out to someone else at a different address - Can you figure that?

She sent me photographs of the package that she SAID she received from me. The package was from Home Shoppers Network - and, in the photo - I could read the name and address of the person the package was intended for. (Someone named (name retracted) - same town in New Jersey as my buyer).

(Name retracted), obviously, HAD received the shoes I sent to her, as she had torn the label OFF of my package and re-attached it to the UPS package. Her photos clearly showed what she had done. My USPS label was sloppily slapped on the UPS package with barcode bent over the side (I NEVER bend a PayPal label barcode and always ship neatly)

She insisted that I send her a RETURN label and a complete refund for the BUG REPELLERS she had received. She said if I did not do this - she would file an eBay "Not as described" claim against me.

Using the information - visible on the side of the UPS box in the photo (name retracted) had sent me, I called the Home Shoppers Network and found that the package with the bug repellers HAD been shipped to someone else - and mistakenly delivered to my buyer, (name retracted).

I explained to my buyer, (name retracted), that I have NEVER sold bug-repellers and that I did NOT ship her package UPS, but USPS. She wanted ME to REFUND her for something I did not send her - for something that had been mis-delivered to her by the UPS. She filed a "Not as described" claim against me and Ebay put a "hold" on the funds she had paid me.

I called eBay. They checked on her and said she was a trouble-maker and would be put under investigation and PROBABLY be suspended. They CLOSED THE CASE in my favor - BUT they refunded this SCAMMER and put the money back into my account.

HOWEVER - at that point - this buyer left me VERY nasty negative feedback- calling me a HORRIBLE SELLER, saying that I had sent her the wrong item and had no communication!!

I have worked VERY hard to maintain my 100% feedback, which, after (name retracted)'s negative feedback for me- dropped to 99.7% and my sales basically stopped due to eBay reducing my search visibility.

This is SO unfair. I have done NOTHING wrong - I KNOW she received the shoes because she had removed my label and stuck it on the UPS package and then photographed it!! I have ALL of the photos as well as her messages that PROVES that this is a scam - but eBay does not seem to care at all.

Even though eBay closed the dispute...in my favor - they say this SCAMMER still has the RIGHT to leave me this damaging feedback!!

By these kinds of actions and wrongful decisions, eBay is doing nothing more than ENCOURAGING Scams. This girl, (name retracted), was very clever and her scam worked.

Ebay is not interested in any PROOF of a scam. The buyer received the shoes I sold her - got a free package of bug-repellers from Home Shopping Network, AND was reimbursed by EBAY!!

After ELEVEN years of selling on eBay - THIS has me close to quitting eBay - When they can treat a seller this way, there's no telling WHAT they can do.
Betty
Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: eBay Shoe Seller 'Repelled' by Bad Buyer

eBay Shoe Seller 'Repelled' by Bad Buyer   eBay Shoe Seller 'Repelled' by Bad Buyer
by: go-figure This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 08:58:22 2012
Dear OP,

Truly a bad/sad experience. What makes it worse, is bad selling experiences like this are all too common these days. Scam artist buyers abound on eBay and they know all too well that they can often get away with it.

I would recommend giving one more shot to eBay to get them to remove the feedback. However, do not speak to anyone until you get up to a Resolution Center rep--the front line people (anyone that answers the phones at eBay) are, to coin an old country phrase, more useless than teets on a bull!

Should that fail, you can always threaten to or actually take legal action against the buyer. Sadly, threatening to sue the Bay probably won't get you anywhere since they have a team of lawyers on retainer that can and will tie up any suit with motions for years.

And eBay wonders why many of their best sellers keep leaving. Go Figure!
by: Valencia57 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 09:10:22 2012
Betty, I'm right there with you! Yesterday I received the first negative in 2 years with over 10,000 sales. It's absolutely NOT RIGHT that ebay finds in favor of the seller, but still lets the buyer leave feedback. Do they think a buyer will leave anything but negative if the case is found against them?  It's so obvious that your buyer is a scammer and that's exactly what ebay is attracting. She and her buddies probably had a good laugh and now her buddies will give it a go also.  Ebay WILL end up hurting themselves..... the good, honest, reputable  sellers will end up angry and discouraged and won't provide excellent product/service. I know I'm so frustrated & depressed from one negative feedback that I just want to be done with it all (one step closer to losing the 20%, which over a year can amount to thousands).  You probably feel like I do.... we bend over backwards, bend further and then one person can come along and ruin us. AND ebay is letting and encouraging them to do it.  I just don't get why though. This practice will burn out and discourage the GOOD sellers.  It doesn't make us want to work any harder or bend further back - as we can't do anymore than what we're already doing. It has the opposite effect - it encourages me to take the view - ''what's the use''.  The negatives we get as retaliation (or from nut-cases and scammers) are totally out of our control and in the control of ebay - as is everything else concerning OUR ebay sales.
by: fvh This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 09:18:59 2012
I'm sorry this happened to you. How maddening. But, if you're stuck with the negative feedback, I suggest you officially and professionally respond to it. Warn others that this buyer is a scammer and, if it applies, to look at the buyer's "feedback left for others" history for proof.

It sucks when your perfect feedback score is unfairly tarnished, but I'm fairly certain it won't cost you buyers. And by leaving you the negative feedback, the buyer has also left you the opportunity to shed light on them as a scammer.

Also, don't forget to add this buyer to your blocked bidder list.
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Wed May 23 10:34:14 2012
I **COMPLETELY** agree with the comments made by FVH (above).

I'm always more impressed when a seller responds with the facts, or an explanation, or even an apology... stated calmly and professionally.
by: fvh This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 11:28:00 2012
Thank you Annie. Your endorsement means a lot to me, especially in regard to the topic at hand.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ric

Wed May 23 15:18:51 2012
OP.... It is sometimes painful to stick to your guns and battle with abusive buyers like the one you encountered. When you do, eBay still finds a way to punish you in some way shape or form.

Common sense would dictate that since eBay found in your favor the buyers negative feedback would qualify for removal. And there is the root of the problem.

It is apparent that eBay's employment policy stipulates that Customer Service Agents leave their common sense in their car before reporting for work... Common Sense can not even be brought into an eBay facility or onto a property eBay owns.

You need to be sure eBay will carry out their investigation. Contact other sellers this buyer has abused and ask they report as well. The more complaints, the better chance eBay will act against that buyer.

IF eBay gets enough complaints from sellers about this buyer, IF eBay finds this buyer is habitually abusive and IF eBay terminates the buyers account, all negative feedback they have left for you and any other seller will disappear when they get the boot.
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed May 23 18:44:17 2012
You do have a few options. Keep calling ebay until you get a reasonable and rationale CSR on the other end. Call a dozen times if necessary!

Call the customer on the phone and tell her how damaging her confused feedback has been to your business and ask her to retract the feedback. After all she did a refund and free product from HSN.

More and more aggrieved sellers are suing those who leave unjustified negative feedback. In fact, there's another lawsuit just filed that on the Google feed today.

Enough bad publicity about the scammers that results in negative PR for ebay will eventually get this patently ridiculous policy changed,
by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 23 21:52:10 2012
Annie said:
>The manner in which a seller *responds* to negative feedback is MORE IMPORTANT to me than the original negative feedback.

But that's not the problem.  The buyer gave her bad FB and DSRs and her sales are now down because of eBay's tampering with search visibility.  Even though she did *everything right* her business is now failing because of this buyer and how eBay has failed to stand up for what's right.

She should sue eBay and the buyer.   Everyone similarly situated should.

If eBay were sued 4400x by sellers over all this it would make enough of a stink they would have to change their business practices.

Get some integrity for crissake.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu May 24 00:00:45 2012
''Get some integrity for crissake.''

At whom is that comment directed? It's difficult to tell.
by: Steevo This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 11:40:46 2012
It's directed at the only company I know that feels it should be able to tamper with search engine results to favor certain parties above others.

Google is very careful not to do that, or people would stop using google.  Ebay has been able to get away with it because it's their search engine and it searches their site.

This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Thu May 24 12:05:45 2012
Thanks for the clarification, Steevo. :-)

--- ''But the reasons Google doesn't tamper with search results is valid.  The reason eBay does is still something we can judge them on.''

Indeed!!!
by: ebay refugee camp This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 24 14:37:17 2012
Come one Come all shoplifters, thieves and scammers to ebay where we will refund you with the seller's funds and in the off chance we cannot use the sellers funds to fund your drug habits, your drinking parties and your other filty habits we will use the interest fron paypal funds we are illegally holding to pay out of ebay's pockets. By the way we here at ebay are the greatest. Disruptine Innovations I say, off with your heads if you disagree with the great JD
by: cosqueen This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 08:03:15 2012
I truly believe there are ''professional scammers'' who get freebies by being creative and living for it!  Not all of the scammers live at Ebay; I have had the same issue selling on Amazon, perhaps even more so.  It is sad that our world has resorted to this.  I applaud the seller for going the extra mile to uncover what lies beyond the scam.  Most sellers would not.  Sellers have to get tough with buyers.  The creativity on the part of the scammers has grown to an unimaginable high and it will continue.  I feel badly for anyone who has had this experience, but, unfortunately, it is all part of selling on the net.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 25 09:51:57 2012
OP

You have a couple more things you can do that may possibly help.  First, review your buyer's "feedback left".  If you see a pattern of FB abuse there, that is grounds to have your FB removed.  If this buyer is a problem as Ebay has stated to you, there should be some evidence in the FB left to help you.

Also, take your photos and emails down to your local Post Office.  File a claim for Mail Fraud.  I know for me, I would not hesitate to do this with a buyer like you experienced.  Mail fraud is a federal offense.
by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.
Fri May 25 10:16:23 2012
Too bad that the item from the Shopping network hadn't been shipped via the USPS. Then the fact that she opened a package that had been accidently been left at her place (unless she found the box in the garbage along the street) but the package wasn't addressed to her or to her home. I believe this is called tampering with the mail or mail fruad and she had no right to the bug repellant or a refund. She had no right to anything in the box. She sould have been liable for a fine and or jail time for messing with the official mail.

I do wonder at peoples brains at times. I got a call once from some sheriffs association in town asking is a check I sent was meant for them. I had sent a payment for a bill and the payment had accidently been put in the wrong mailbox. This joker instead of just being neighborly and putting it into the right mailbox, took it into his office, opened and envelope addressed to someone else with a different address than theirs, saw a check NOT made our to him or the association and had the gall to call and ask if the check was meant for them!!! Like why would it be? Give it to the guy it was addressed to. I was sick that day otherwise would have turn him in for mail fraud.
by: Fun & Games This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 13:00:40 2012
I don't know how sales drop because of 1 negative feedback.  I had 100% feedback and then ''bam'' 2 negs in 1 week.  Issues that were not my fault, but yet they were left anyway.  An you know what... my sales are through the roof.  They have not dropped.  If anything, they are picking up.  I have never seen a drop in sales other than the time the recession started.  I noticed they dropped but then picked back up and haven't stopped.  Whether I am a top rated seller or not.  I always sell stuff regardless.
This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 25 13:30:21 2012
@moonwishes

The OP can still try to get this reported.  It's called Mail Fraud.  The buyer used the USPS label in an effort to defraud the seller.  So hopefully the OP will take her proof to her local post office, talk with the Postmaster and file a claim.
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 25 22:58:18 2012
OP--

Did you think to call the Home Shoppping Network and tell them you know where their package is?  OR call the person who BOUGHT that item and tell THEM where the item is---that it was STOLEN from them?  Hmmm---ebay encouraging out and out THEFT---from a NON EBAY SELLER--now THERE is a lawsuit waiting to happen!

And I too received a few (2) undeserved NFB's.  And I have two seller accounts.  I list the same sort of things on both just for the Free 50 listings.  And consistently the LOWER FB site gets MORE sales.  Go figure!

You can call your local Law Enforcement and report the scammer for POSSESSION OF STOLEN PROPERTY also.

But the Mail Fraud is a very good thing to consider.  IF your local PO doesn't seem interested ask WHERE your Regional PO is and call the Post Master there and report both the local PO AND the scammer.

And you can see this SAME issue of Bytes for an ebay seller SUING in Small Claims Court for a NFB being left for them.
by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 3 01:21:38 2012
@Steevo - This is a bit off-topic, but "Google is careful not to tamper with search results to favor one party over another?"  In what world do you live?  Ever read their new 'combined Google experience' [anti-]privacy policy?  Maybe you should do some Googling about Google tampering with their search results, except they probably block those hits.  Use Bing or Duck-Duck-Go instead.  Other than that, I DO agree with what you said about eBay's rigging of the search game.  But rest assured they are not alone.

Letters Blog Recent Posts