Subscribe    RSS Feeds    Twitter            Contact Us
728_header.jpg (23748 bytes)
 Home   EB Blog   AB Blog   Letters   Podcasts   Forums   EPIS   PR Service   Classifieds   EKG   Ratings
  Rate Services
  Yellow Pages
  Advertising
buyersmarket2aaa2.JPG (7729 bytes)
Sat May 19 2012 15:27:25

eBay Senior Seller Sounds off on Age Discrimination

By: Reader
Here's a topic I've not seen addressed on EcommerceBytes: how eBay age discriminates.

Just as we don't see much gray hair in those high school yearbook style photos so favored by eBay management and the enormous disrespect their commercials typically direct towards women, eBay shows its ugly face in a new way by discriminating against those of a certain age in addition to the thousands upon thousands of senior owned home based small businesses eBay has massacred since 2008.

I've been successfully selling (though not as successfully in the John Donnybrook reign) on eBay for more than 10 years. I spend several thousand dollars a year on eBay mostly for business related supplies and equipment but also for a wide range of personal items that don't yet include such things as adult diapers, denture adhesives, memory enhancers, etc.

I received a survey a few hours ago from eBay asking me take a survey on "various topics." One of the highlights of my pathetically dull senior citizen life is telling eBay how rotten to the core they are, so taking their skewed surveys always brightens my day.

Imagine my surprise when as soon as I entered my age (over 60) the survey terminated. The survey does not terminate when most younger ages are entered. Apparently eBay has even less interest in their sellers/buyers and our opinions than I thought was possible. It appears eBay cares only what those in certain age groups think, and those who aren't in those age groups, can take a one way hike.

The eBay junior achievement brigade who makes these decisions should know that I have more a lot more discretionary spending power than most people half my age, and I still buy plenty.

It just won't be on eBay anymore for things I can buy from companies that demonstrate respect for people of all ages, races, religion, sexual orientation, etc.
Thanks, Ina!
Not Your Father's Senior Citizen
Reading EcommerceBytes Letters Blog: eBay Senior Seller Sounds off on Age Discrimination

eBay Senior Seller Sounds off on Age Discriminatio   eBay Senior Seller Sounds off on Age Discriminatio
by: adrian44 This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 20 00:19:17 2012
@Not Your Father's Senior Citizen

Thank you for explaining that! I wondered why the last survey ended right after I posted my age! Now I know.
by: Brainiac jones This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 20 01:53:47 2012
Aggh. Then I have eighteen months to go before I get discriminated against!

Would that I could simply be a fly on the wall in some of eBay's top management offices to try to figure out what those ageist, sexist, etcetera-ist morons are thinking...
This user has validated their user name. by: Al G

Sun May 20 08:03:16 2012
Come on - their "surveys" are about as transparent as interstellar space.

After the 1st few questions, you can figure out their drift - as for the age thing, they want to know if you are thinking of using a e-wallet, what smart-phone apps you want, & whether you e-socialize.

If you want to have real fun, just say you are 18-34 & spend 4 hours on your i-android surfing shopping sites and using your e-pad and cool-hot-spots communicating with your e-social-buds......
This user has validated their user name. by: Anonymous Annie

Sun May 20 10:49:22 2012
As someone of-a-certain-age, I often find it difficult not to be overly sensitive... but in spite of my best efforts, I often cringe at many things that people say or do. So, in that regard, I am sympathetic with the OP and his/her age.

Having said that (and although I refuse to use the phrase ''in defense of eBay...'') it seems very logical that people of-a-certain-age would be automatically excluded (by any company, not just eBay) from certain surveys that are intended to learn more about a targeted segment of buyers. Or when researching items that are obviously being marketed to a younger crowd.

For someone to be so unceremoniously and abruptly dismissed would surely make me bristle! However, on reflection... I realize that my opinions on youth-oriented tech, pop-culture, fads, fashions, music, etc would be extremely limited. And any awareness or opinions I held would likely be of little value to those who were giving the survey.

I'll just have to face reality and accept the fact that I'll be answering fewer surveys about youth-oriented products/services... and prepare myself for surveys and questionnaires about electric scooters, retirement communities and hearing-aids.

Be strong, OP, and enjoy the view from THIS side of the grass! We ain't dead yet! :-)
by: expertbenefits This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 10:43:29 2012
All they need to do is say at the beginning we are target marketing for a select group answer this question and that's it. If they made you answer more than one question and then ask you age, that is making you work for no reason and I would also be annoyed. That being said, now that you mention the yearbook pictures, I had to laugh! They don't get that you can be young and close minded or old and closed minded...and vice versa? Ipads are for everybody...
by: genejhsn This user has validated their user name.
Mon May 21 10:52:09 2012
I had a survey terminated in the same manner. I wonder if those a$$holes at eBay realize that there are many of us senior citizens - I'll turn 65 this year -  supplementing our (in my case meager) social security by selling on eBay? It would be interest5ing to find out how big this demographic is.
by: Gypsy This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 11:14:48 2012
I've got news for the age discriminators at eBay - AGE IS A NUMBER & MINE'S UNLISTED! Take that you young whippersnappers! Discriminate all you want against us boomers & the rest of the seniors, you're just cutting off your own nose to spite your face.
by: bacpro This user has validated their user name.
Mon May 21 11:32:38 2012
WOW! That happen to me also. I have been selling on ebay for over 10years and I also have purchased a lot of stuff.
JB
by: iwasjoe This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 13:17:47 2012
I hate survys so I lie to every question. they never know the truth. Why should we give info to help them for free. I also will not use self check out lines why do their work and take money out of checkers pockets.
by: SallyH This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 13:18:30 2012
In response to ''Not your Father's Senior Citizen'' and the following statement:

''I just won't be on eBay anymore for things I can buy from companies that demonstrate respect for people of all ages, races, religion, sexual orientation, etc''.

When you take that stance, you aren't really hurting eBay much.

You are hurting  us individual sellers (also senior in my case) who are struggling to sell on eBay, who DID NOT discriminate against you. And we did not make all of eBay's other horrible policies.

You are technically hurting mostly small eBay sellers by buying elsewhere to get back at eBay.
by: Lawrence A Dickerson This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 14:56:06 2012
@ iwasjoe

If you cheat opn every survey then what is in your mindset to answer them in the first place.That says volumes about your personal ethics.If you think that your answers affect the results you should know that those types of survey responses are factored into the computations thus you are wasting your time.I hope you taught your kids that it is not appropriate to lie.You lead by example,words are cheap.
This user has validated their user name. by: Tula

Mon May 21 20:47:31 2012
I always wondered at the focus on the male 18-30 demographic when it came to television ad targeting. They seem to focus on that sort of group for many things, but the biggest spenders I know of are 30+ females. I think marketers are following very dated guidelines on spending and have been for years. eBay is probably just following the crowd in the same wrong direction.
by: uncle rico This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 22:46:18 2012
I really don't see this as discriminatory. Not many older people have iPads, iPhones, make mobile payments, etc. It's about marketing research.

I don't normally take eBay's side (actually I cannot remember another time when I have), but this just seems like common sense to me. It's silly to call it discrimination...
by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 21 23:12:12 2012
Ummmmmm--

'Scuse me?

Coulnd't see ya there sonny boy must be my specs were a bit fogged by my nostalgic look back at my mispent youth.

Ya know---when I had to DIAL a telephone and music came in platter form and a friends lil brother was killed because cars didn't come with seatbelts.

Yep--them good old days.

However I have managed to find my way to electronic payments,  I read some things using my Kindle Fire;  I have had many cell phones; I can use a GPS and my iPods; I buy AND sell on ebay and other sites---in other words---I have kept up.

Now I know many "seniors" have not.  But even the definition of "senior" is changing.  For AARP benes you only have to be a youthful 50.

Yes there are holdouts and Luddites and I know many people my age who think that the internet is a dark and scary place---and not in a good Dark N Scary Place sorta way---but ya know our grandparents feared the new fangled inventions we take for granted.

As for ebay's absurd survey---the ONLY way ebay will EVER know how YOU  feel is for you to TELL THEM.  Break out the Smith Corona and roll in a sheet of Type Writing Bond and don't forget to make a carbon.
by: gmcreager This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 22 08:39:24 2012
Will eBay ever learn?? I am pushing 60, have way more iPhone apps than I need, pay all my bills electronically, love my PS3 and eReader and have successfully programmed the bluetooth services in my car. As usual eBay's assumptions we ultimately come back to bite them in the @ss. We seniors are smarter than they think!!
This user has validated their user name. by: Ming the Merciless

Wed May 23 18:56:50 2012
Didn't I read on this site around Christmas time that the average ebay buyer is an over 50 female?

Ebay does many baffling things, but annoying seniors when the preponderance of  buyers are either seniors or approaching 'seniorhood' has got to be near the top of a rather lengthy list.

Senior does not mean senility. Age discrimination is against the law and is actionable through the federal EEOC.

Letters Blog Recent Posts